You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to mimic this old monitor/camera look

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It is not clear from the links provided what kind of effect you are after exactly, but you might want to have a look on this thread, where two-color halftones are mimicked both by using native Affinity Photo features and alternatively, using G'Mic plug-in (only available on Windows):

4 minutes ago, lacerto said:

It is not clear from the links provided what kind of effect you are after exactly, but you might want to have a look on this thread, where two-color halftones are mimicked both by using native Affinity Photo features and alternatively, using G'Mic plug-in (only available on Windows):

I should have clarified better. I am after the sort of pixel matrix screen effect that gives it the look of being taken or viewed on old hardware. Is there any resources for something closer to that? Ive experimented with GMIC and blend modes but I just have not gotten it down

Which particular hardware? Multipaint is a converter and paint tool that lets you create images that look like ones that were used on old game consoles:

multipaint_01.thumb.png.77936e7824bd0d43ec9cd02aeacdf7f2.png

Did you check the Scanlines filter of G'Mic -- it would let you produce kinds of grids that were shown in the Pinterest links you provided.

1 hour ago, wakeupsontae said:

Is there any resources for something closer to that?

Additionally to the resource given above in the 1st response by @carl123 for a VHS look, a quick'n'dirty simulation of a CRT screen grid would just use two Halftone Filters., e.g.:

1182178044_screengridvia2xhalftonefilter.thumb.jpg.476d19c54d3145341e668f5417b1d409.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I would put a texture over the image.
And, if you distort the texture you can emulate the moiré effect characteristic of TV screens.
(Filters > Distort > Shear)

spider_b.jpg.ebf04b5be70715428f923684c34dd9d4.jpg

Regarding the texture you can search online.
I created my own texture: osci(c/w,ry*c/w).

ProceduralTexture.jpg.0c95b4cb758c5a67bd049948529b19d5.jpg

By combining horizontal and vertical lines, you can get many different textures.

Image: Stelogic

5 hours ago, Lisbon said:

I created my own texture: osci(c/w,ry*c/w).

How did you get to the formula? e.g. what stand the characters for: osci, c, w, r … (I assume y means vertically, osci sth like 'repeat' ?)

For me even the Help and this thread is too sophisticated. – Do you know of a still more basic intro? Also I wonder what 'language' gets used in Affinity?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi @thomaso

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

How did you get to the formula?

Affinity Photo comes with some procedural textures by default. One of them is "Chequered" and it looks like this osci(rx*c/w,ry*c/w).
If you remove rx you get horizontal lines. Deleting ry you get vertical lines.
I didnt come up with the formula. Serif did. I just tweaked the code.

As for variables, just like you, Im a bit in the dark because there isnt enough information.
Lets forget "my" formula and play a little with "Chequered" that comes with Affinity.

c is just a random variable. But it could be almost any other letter (a, b, c, ...). Normally I start with the letter a, but serif used c. Nothing wrong with that.

Then we have rx and ry which can be replaced by x and y. Same result but with a small difference. rx and ry are relative coordinates. This means that if you drag your mouse on the screen, you can move the checkerboard.

w is the document width. So you cant use w as a random variable like the letter c example. w is reserved for the system.

osci, according to the help file is "Standard oscillation, accepts scalar or vector inputs". Im not even going to try to describe this function.

For me even the Help and this thread is too sophisticated.

For me, the only advantage of the help file is for those who already have some knowledge on the subject can easily find out what functions are available. Many functions do not have any description. For me and you this is a problem.

Do you know of a still more basic intro? Also I wonder what 'language' gets used in Affinity?

Basic intro? On the contrary. Many google results look to complicated (too much code - useless for most of us).
Take a look at thebookofshaders.
It takes time to search and understand what each function does with no guarantee that you will find or understand them all.