You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasteboard in Affinity photo

Good afternoon.  Is it possible to view artwork dragged off the page onto the pasteboard to be viewed as in Affinity Designer.  I have searched within the program but seem unable to activate a view on the pasteboard.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

DWright: I think pioneer knows how to do it in Designer – as you instructed – but they want to do the same thing in Photo, and I don’t believe that’s possible (happy to be proven wrong though).

We can use menu “Document → Unclip Canvas” but I don't think that's what is wanted here.

• Staff

You can do this by turning off the Clip to Canvas option using the / key or in the View Mode section of the View menu

Edit 

My apologies in Affinity Photo it is not possible to do this as the unclip option in Photo will expand the current canvas to include all the objects that are hidden in the pasteboard  

This is the only way I know...

You can use Designer to add an Artboard to your APhoto document

Then back in APhoto, any object fully off the canvas will show up on the pasteboard

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks to all for the replies.  Carl I have used this method, but its a bit clumsy and time consuming, and the print from Aphoto messes up. I just thought there may have been a way to view the pasteboard in Photo that I had missed. The problem is not one that normally affect my workflow, but today I had designed ID cards for a committee of 14 and I could only get 9 of the size I wanted onto an A4 page so the other 5 I needed would go on another page for printing.  So I dragged these five of the page onto the pasteboard but they become invisible until selected once again. Cheers John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

30 minutes ago, pioneer said:

The problem is not one that normally affect my workflow, but today I had designed ID cards for a committee of 14 and I could only get 9 of the size I wanted onto an A4 page so the other 5 I needed would go on another page for printing.

Can’t you put nine in one group and the remaining five in another group? Then all you need to do is keep one group visible and hide the group that you don’t want to work on.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you prefer to see alternative images in a pasteboard around the canvas you could simply create one: menu Document > Resize Canvas. Choose on which side(s) and in what size(s) you want the "pasteboard" by adding the according values + set the anchor.

It is useful first either to place guides at the page edges – or to create a rectangle object in the current page size, apply a stroke (no fill) and place it as top layer. This indicates your actual layout format. For export / print simply reset the canvas back to the initial size + hide the guide rectangle.

If you feel disturbed by the transparency pattern in this "pasteboard" add a gray rectangle as bottom layer.
For frequent use of such a custom pasteboard you could save the rectangle objects in the Asset panel, since they are easy to scale for any format.

816542441_APhotopasteboardcanvassize.thumb.jpg.6fb39132aaeae2f5c19ee3487dec6471.jpg

Alternatively you can merge the two helper objects as Compound. This enables you to move both at the bottom but still set its "canvas window" and "pasteboard" size separately:

16659895_APhotopasteboardcanvassize2.thumb.jpg.f611abc5110adc726d27c57e1f196751.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1