You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone else think these buttons should be moved here?

Agreed. They are obviously hidden too far away in the user interface.

I believe macOS guidelines recommend them where they are in Adobe's applications, but am not sure.

I also wish you could right-click a studios tab and get the list and selection there too, easily accessible.

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

3 minutes ago, AlleyDukakis said:

lists all the app windows under the Menu button called "Windows"

Because Studios isn't app windows? By app windows I assume you mean open documents.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 minute ago, Winsome said:

They are obviously hidden too far away in the user interface.

But that shouldn't be the reason why they should be placed in the wrong menu. If nesting them bothers you, then you should request their placement in a separate Studio item in the main menu.

P.S. There are already a lot of requests for easier setting and hiding of panels.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Because Studios isn't app windows? By app windows I assume you mean open documents.

In Photoshop, they use the Menu heading "Windows" to encompass both uses.

E.g. when you click on Windows there, you can interact with any open window document, as well as any app window (tool palette)

its very logical

My cat has considered writing a firm letter in regard to this oversight.

Edited by AlleyDukakis

At times I wish there was simply a dialog that listed the studios so I can call up that dialog and hit a couple or three or five items at once without having to renavigate the Menu > Submenu find the item twice or more times. Oh and it should have a space where my Presets are listed along with an Add and Delete preset buttons.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

"I think that" does not work within the walls of companies and laboratories. Well, in some companies apparently.

Let's instead at least refer to macOS human guidelines as a sort of starting point, Apple knows something about usability, sets the standard for macOS apps anyway and remember that Affinity was originally designed for this particular operating system:

Apple macOS Human Interface Guidelines

image.png.ff63a45a232fbc3ee12d62a28323b80f.png

It is these guidelines Adobe has followed and also uses under Windows and everyone is used to them, so why deviate. 

0_1643481907175_Skærmbillede 2022-01-29 kl. 19.44.17.png

Calling them studios... no comments.

But in short, there is a lack of quick access to these panels... studios. 

Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

• Staff

Hi @AlleyDukakis,

Thanks for your feedback, it's certainly appreciated!

I believe this post fits better in the Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop section of the Forums, so I have moved the post there for you now :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Winsome said:

Calling them studios... no comments.

But in short, there is a lack of quick access to these panels... studios. 

I have thought about this, actually worried about it and the conclusion is I need to get out more. I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating the Studios or Panes or Panels term. I try to use Panel because the View menu item is called Studio, singular. If the Panels were to called Studios then the View menu item would be Studios, plural.

Regardless, I do not like having to navigate all the way through the list in a menu to check, uncheck several items. See my earlier comment.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, AlleyDukakis said:

In Photoshop, they use the Menu heading "Windows" to encompass both uses.

So among the list of dozens of open documents there are dozens more showed/hidden panel items? Very smart and clear. Just because something is in Photoshop doesn't mean it's right.

6 hours ago, AlleyDukakis said:

E.g. when you click on Windows there, you can interact with any open window document, as well as any app window (tool palette)

So there are only "open" panels in this list? And how do you open/show (by the way, therefore the View menu, because Panels not "opening" - via menu File/Open, but only show and hide) panels that are still hidden? Is that controlled in a completely different menu?

6 hours ago, Winsome said:

and remember that Affinity was originally designed for this particular operating system:

And remember that the Affinity apps are based on the Windows-only Plus apps. And in this OS, the Window menu item is intended only for open documents and manipulating them, not for displayed panels.

40 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

And remember that the Affinity apps are based on the Windows-only Plus apps. And in this OS, the Window menu item is intended only for open documents and manipulating them, not for displayed panels.

No, actually they are not based on these apps. They are based on a new architecture and a fresh start. Serif also wanted a new brand. They did so entirely on macOS. And a lot in the apps is inspired by macOS and follows human interface guidelines. Sometimes a bit clunky and sometimes horribly wrong (Just navigate around in preferences). But at least trying to imitate. If they still had to carry over user interface features from their now archaic Plus range despite the wish for a new start on a new OS, then they really have been Windows fundamentalists then. There was no reason to carry over a bad design idea from Plus, was there. 

But they do not follow good usability and the recommendation to place panels exactly where you expect them as a mac user. In the first level of the menu, by the way. That's what it's all about. Usability. Quick access. Seamless work flows.

I could easily find them in the View menu instead, but they're tucked away in a submenu and clunky workflow, and Serif haven't been able to embrace a common term like panels. Studio Tabs in Plus range and now Studios. Adobe is probably forgiven that in the Windows versions of their software they have put the panels easily accessible in a logical place, don't you think? And forgiven that Adobe simply call them panels. Studio is a pointless and confusing term someone must have protected with all he got in Nottingham. And I will never understand that a product that inspired by Adobes product had to do it their own way. It is not better, so why.

So what I do remember from education and work experience is that you shouldn't invent your own logic. Lean against best practice from guidelines, competitors, knowledge from the world and user surveys. 

Get it?

11 hours ago, Winsome said:

Studio Tabs in Plus range and now Studios … Adobe simply call them panels.

Serif also calls them panels now, but — like the ‘Tabs’ in the Plus range — the ‘Panels’ in the Affinity suite are arranged in groups within one or more ‘Studios’ (although there was only one Studio in each of the Plus products).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 hours ago, AlleyDukakis said:

I'm sick of messing with a sub menu.

I sort of get it with this particular menu, although I can't say a couple of clicks bothers me particularly. But if you extend this to all menus, it will either be a case of scrolling through dozens of items, trying to find the one you want, or having a lot more menus, that you have to remember and navigate. As a general rule I think having sub menus often makes it easier to find a particular item quickly and easily.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad