You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Helloo there.

I am exporting a 50k exr file and it has been 3 hours; the progress bar is still moving, very slowly and the program has not crashed yet.

Is this normal? I have saved this size exr in other software and takes a while like 15-25 min at the most.

Running Windows 10 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7800X CPU @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz

128 g of ram

Nvidia 1080 TI 12g of ram

*Update: After a few hours it crashed without exporting anything.

Well the file has certain rights so I cant publicly share it. Yet it comes from mattepainting.com one of their huge 360 skies.

However I have tried with other 50 k files and the same result its taking forever to save and then it crashes. Currently waiting on one that hopefully at least saves the file.

This other file is client side so no cant share it also. 

I encountered the issue first while accessing top res NASA files here https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA23623_hires.tif however I ended up saving in tif yet not exr, it also crashed and took a while to save however much smaller file than the 50k which is 14 GB and this one is only 2.3 GB

Exporting the file goes fairly fast half way down (15min) the progress bar, then slows to a crawl till 3/4 of the way (3.7 hours) until it crashes at that point.

Right now the process has been reduced to almost nothing just cloning out a couple of hills on the horizon and then exporting it as a new exr.

This is now at 1.4 hours

Screenshot 2022-08-18 102722.jpg

• Staff

Hi, apologies for the delay, but yes, this is on my list.  I'm unable to replicate on the NASA image file you provided. 

The link I gave you isn't public, it's for internal testing purposes only and no accessible by anyone else and would really assist in troubleshooting.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I would say after a little bit of testing, it's enough for me to say that to export such a high 1 Billion pixel image whilst retaining colour information those time frames are normal, (I'm assuming you are using it for HDRI purposes?). If you have software that can handle that in such a small timeframe, then I would consider using that tool.

Lee

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

@edloI see you are exporting as TIFF, but what settings are you exporting with, so i can recreate your issue accurately.

Lee

I am trying to save back as exr after minimal editing.

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

I would say after a little bit of testing, it's enough for me to say that to export such a high 1 Billion pixel image whilst retaining colour information those time frames are normal, (I'm assuming you are using it for HDRI purposes?). If you have software that can handle that in such a small timeframe, then I would consider using that tool.

Lee

Nuke is what I am using to save the file but of course editing the image with the tools that Affinity has its not available. It wouldt be such a big problem if it saved the file even in a big amount of time; but it ends up crashing after waiting for the process to complete.

So I guess by your preliminary tests there is no solution available now and in the future?

@LeeThorpe ^^

18 hours ago, edlo said:

I am trying to save back as exr after minimal editing.

Nuke is what I am using to save the file but of course editing the image with the tools that Affinity has its not available. It wouldt be such a big problem if it saved the file even in a big amount of time; but it ends up crashing after waiting for the process to complete.

So I guess by your preliminary tests there is no solution available now and in the future?

@LeeThorpe ^^

@LeeThorpe As I said "I am trying to save back as exr after minimal editing."