You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What do I have to do to make a locked layer act like a locked layer?

Hi,

re: Affinity Designer for Windows

This morning I was pixel painting in a multi layered project and repeatedly made the mistake of painting on a layer that was "locked".

I acknowledge that I must have mistakenly caused the wrong layer to become selected, although I didn't know when that happened and would have to undo a bunch of work to start again. This happened several times. It was enough to cause annoyance.

I know enough about Designer to regard the lock feature as untrustworthy, but today i was enjoying painting with the pixel brush and color choices so I wanted to trust that when I started painting in the intended layer that I remained in the intended layer.

Am I missing a preference or checkbox? I would like a locked layer to be locked and safe from unintended modification.

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Otto Manuel said:

Am I missing a preference or checkbox? I would like a locked layer to be locked and safe from unintended modification.

You are missing nothing in Preferences or anywhere else. Some how this absurd "Locked is only for the location" definition was carved in stone. The people at Affinity think there are no circumstances where Locked could mean "immutable regarding any sort of editing".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:12 AM, Old Bruce said:

Some how this absurd "Locked is only for the location" definition was carved in stone. The people at Affinity think there are no circumstances where Locked could mean "immutable regarding any sort of editing".

I think they decided that 'locking out' selecting the layer in the document window was enough to prevent accidentally selecting & changing it but that selecting a locked layer in the Layers Panel was a deliberate action & it would be annoying if the layer had to be unlocked in the panel before any actions available in that panel (like changing opacity or blend options, or any of the contextual menu items up to & including deleting it) could be applied.

There is a certain amount of merit in that but it still seems to me to be an odd take on how locking should work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7