You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save As Flattened Automatically - Key Shortcut???

I load a jpg, add adjustments, filters, etc. and just want to overwrite and save those changes back to the *same* file. I don't want to save a project file, e.g. .afphoto, or change the size, quality, name or anything else.

When I press cmd-S a dialog pops up Document -> Save As (should be Save As...), Save Flattened, or Cancel, so I click Save Flattened. I would like to save that extra click and thought there would be some existing command with key shortcut, like option-cmd-S to eliminate that step. I cannot find any command that is essentially Save As Flattened.

Have I missed something? Is there a hack to do this? Or is this only a feature request, e.g. Save As Flattened menu command and shortcut, at this point?

1 minute ago, DonKC said:

Have I missed something? Is there a hack to do this?

You will have to flatten the document, the JPEG you opened, at some point if you want to save it as the JPEG format it was. You can do this by flattening the document before hitting Save or using the button you are not happy with.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

JPEGs cannot easily be saved again without changing the quality. The format does not specify which quality settings were used when saving. Except for certain metadata manipulation (e.g. rotating) and apps specialized for that operations, the content will be de-compressed and lossy re-compressed (using the encoding method and quality parameters of the saving app).

Instead of saving, you can use export (which has a shortcut) and use a preset to save as jpeg - but again using the quality parameters of that preset, not that (unavailable) of the source file.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Excellent point. So, I took a scanned slide 2.3mb JPEG, did some adjustments, and chose Save Flattened. That file turned out to be 7.6mb!

I tried the Export with a high-quality JPEG preset and exported that to a 1.6mb file. So, yes, there's no way to know what's going on especially with a consumer slide/negative scanner.

Unfortunately, as a hack, I tried to create a macro for Export -> set things up -> etc. and a warning message says export cannot be done as a macro.