You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problems pasting images from firefox

Hi, I have Af Publisher running on Win 11 - no problem there and a great program but I'm a newbie and having a problem that I can't find addressed in the FAQs

I'm using AP to prepare for publishing a blog that I'd created on Blogger (https://swcpcarryon.blogspot.com/2020/03/minehead-to-crowcombe.html). I'd hoped to just copy the entire blog (about 7 pages worth) and then do all the formatting in AP.

The text comes across fine but no sign of the images in the blog. OK, bit of a pain to copy across the images one by one but here goes...

The problem is that Crtl+C (on the blog image in Firefox) and Ctrl+V apparently deliver the  image into Resources and I can see a layer but no sign of it on the AP page. This doesn't happen doing the same thing via MS Edge.

So: (a) is this a firefox Vs Edge 'issue' and (b) is there a way to copy the whole blog including images in one go?

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Hi @PM31 and welcome to the forums.

a) I wonder if your missing images are somehow coming in with an offset?  Try zooming waaaay out and see if you can spot your image.  Clicking the image in the Layers panel first may assist.  In fact, try checking the Transform panel for a large X or Y offset.  If that locates it for you, either just drag it back into the page or set the errant X or Y value to 0 initially and then fine-tune as normal.

2022-08-21_14-46-25.png.f55bc63d0704125e84b50956fc1c8cc9.png 2022-08-21_14-53-06.png.5c2224a4b6b5f28a2253b977c7ea3b82.png

If that doesn't help, I think a screenshot of your full screen is going to be required get to the bottom of this missing image problem.  Before taking the screenshot, make sure you've clicked on the image in the layers panel so that we can try to glean as much info as possible.

b) I don't think that you're going to be able to get the text and graphics in one pass.  At least, not with that link you shared.  Even if you could, it would be the low-resolution versions of each graphic that you'd get.  Looking at the first image on your page, if I right click and copy it, the image in my clipboard is 320x240px - the low-res preview version that readers get initially.  If I right-click the image and select Open In New Window, I get the full 1600x1200 image.  Alternatively, if I single click the image and go into Blogger's image gallery view for the page, I can get the high-res version.  I'm not familiar with the editor screen for Blogger, but I wonder if stepping back into the view and copying it all from there might not work better?

c) Failing that, in my testing on my Mac, copying the text and pasting into Word brought through both the text and the full sized images. (I've got Word 365, though I suspect this would also work with older versions.)  Save the Word document as a file and then use File > Place to get that file into your Publisher document.

Hope this helps?

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Gary many thanks for this. I tried option c) which seems the easiest way to go. Curiously the pictures don't come across if I copy and paste from Firefox but they do from Edge. Sounds like some kind of built in security but weird. Anyhow at least I have a route to go.

How can I tell whether I've got the full size images? I'm using Word 2016 btw.

The small images I was getting initially were 320x240 - and seemed to be a standard preview size provided by Blogger.  Actually, looking back, I see some were 640x480 too, good for previews but still pretty small.  When pasted onto a Publisher document (I was initially using Safari) they appeared small - postage stamp sized.  I expect they would be small if pasted directly into Word too.  This was when copying individual images, one at a time.  Whereas in my all-at-once Word test, the larger images came through and typically filled the page width with no apparent loss of quality - no fuzziness due to scaling a tiny image too large.  So that's the simple basis on which I’d judge the is-this-the-small-version-or-the-large-version question.

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @PM31 and welcome to the forums.

a) I wonder if your missing images are somehow coming in with an offset?  Try zooming waaaay out and see if you can spot your image.  Clicking the image in the Layers panel first may assist.  In fact, try checking the Transform panel for a large X or Y offset.  If that locates it for you, either just drag it back into the page or set the errant X or Y value to 0 initially and then fine-tune as normal.

2022-08-21_14-46-25.png.f55bc63d0704125e84b50956fc1c8cc9.png 2022-08-21_14-53-06.png.5c2224a4b6b5f28a2253b977c7ea3b82.png

I'm having this problem actually and this is the only post I see referencing this after doing a search in-house and using site: through DDG. This is a paste from Firefox also. I have the page selected and am doing simple copy and paste jobs. I'm making a set of moodboards and so these I won't use import option for as it's not going to be permanently stored outside the file. Sometimes it appears on the page. Other times it appears off the page somehow. Usually vertically centered and below. The more pages I add, the worse the offset. Very bizarre and unpredictable behavior.

Hi @debraspicher   I wonder - could this be caused by a side effect of a browser extension or plugin?  If/when you encounter this again, perhaps you could try to "Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode": https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/diagnose-firefox-issues-using-troubleshoot-mode  

If that does appear to resolve the problem, you'd need to return to Firefox's normal mode (just restart Firefox) and try working through the active extensions, disabling a few at a time, to try to identify the specific culprit(s).

2022-09-03_14-17-30.png.064c3a7e8110527f755d60f99d96ef7f.png

—— Gary ——

35 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @debraspicher   I wonder - could this be caused by a side effect of a browser extension or plugin?  If/when you encounter this again, perhaps you could try to "Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode": https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/diagnose-firefox-issues-using-troubleshoot-mode  

If that does appear to resolve the problem, you'd need to return to Firefox's normal mode (just restart Firefox) and try working through the active extensions, disabling a few at a time, to try to identify the specific culprit(s).

2022-09-03_14-17-30.png.064c3a7e8110527f755d60f99d96ef7f.png

That's actually a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

@GaryLearnTech Using troubleshoot did not fix the issue, but I did find the problem.

So, normally when I would copy&paste, I just right-click and use "Copy image" in context menu. Images copied this method go way off the page someplace and have to be tracked down by panning or use align/transform options to center onto the page. I suspected it was taking some HTML bits that were being copied into Publisher and influencing positioning.

The fix: So outside of saving the image and importing in through menus like a normal image, I figured out if I right-clicked outside the image for example on a DIV/text container, I could use "Take Screenshot" in context menu which I had done in the past which caused mixed results. I can hover over the image and copy that method using the Screenshot option which treats it more like an image slice. It saves it as a straight image and I'm able to copy&paste straight into the page centered just fine.

TLDR: If you are a Firefox user, try "Take Screenshot" option instead of copy image so that you are surely getting only image data.

I looked into a clipboard viewer to verify that this was happening. Here is what I discovered:

"Copy image" option in right-click context menu (Clipboard Data)

image.thumb.png.614c720b137fdd965fb1d3e23ecb1262.png

"Take Screenshot" option in right-click context menu (Clipboard Data)

image.thumb.png.c4fc68fa083b3d0f8eee492b663dfd8a.png