You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No way to clear the Search Results?

I just ignore them once I'm done. They'll go away (or change) when you do a new Find.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can’t seem to get rid of the search results either.

Deleting all my search characters and pressing Enter just leaves me with the last list of search results which, I would say, was wrong because it could be confusing.

I would say that if the search field contains nothing then the search results list should be empty.

Sounds like a good issue for an improvement request.

Ya, at least ESCAPE key should clear search results.

they're driving me nuts

Also, after you press ENTER, the search box is no longer focused. So, if you start typing a new query, you'll be typing IN YOUR DOCUMENT.

I almost just lost a bunch of text.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Edited by AlleyDukakis

7 minutes ago, AlleyDukakis said:

Also, after you press ENTER, the search box is no longer focused. So, if you start typing a new query, you'll be typing IN YOUR DOCUMENT.

In addition to that, I’ve just noticed that if I am editing the Find and Replace Find field and press Tab twice then the ‘focus’ moves to the document text and pressing Tab more adds tabs to the text.

I would have expected that using Tab in the Find and Replace Panel would keep the focus within that panel so I could, essentially, tab between the two fields in that panel, rather than the focus going to the text where I can accidentally add tabs without noticing while wondering why the Find field was not getting the focus.

I wonder if there is a good reason why the current functionality would be preferable to what I would expect?

11 minutes ago, AlleyDukakis said:

I almost just lost a bunch of text.

This behavior and misunderstanding of the standards is really very annoying - especially for edit fields (X, Y, ....), when after entering/pressing Enter, the focus is lost, and pressing a number again leads to an unwanted change in Opacity. Which cannot be easily detected due to the lack of indication in the layers panel. Serif really couldn't do this.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

I've moved this thread to the Feedback section of the forums, as I feel it's better suited here.

If any of the behaviour you're coming across is seemingly unexpected, I'd recommend creating separate bug reports for these for our teams to investigate and clear up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I just ignore them once I'm done. They'll go away (or change) when you do a new Find.

I don't.

They can still be replaced by entering something, or nothing, in the replace field and hitting the replace button.

This is a very bad design and does need to be fixed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

39 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I've moved this thread to the Feedback section of the forums, as I feel it's better suited here.

@Dan C, like @Old Bruce I experience this missing ability to clear the search results as an issue which can cause unwanted text changes, in particular as long a search always effects an entire document. Thus it feels more like a bug or oversight than a missing feature.

Nevertheless, I just added this to the existing request thread about the missing ability to limit a search in "Find And Replace" for Selection –> Frame –> Page –> Story / Section –> Document.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I experience this missing ability to clear the search results as an issue which can cause unwanted text changes, in particular as long a search always effects an entire document. Thus it feels more like a bug or oversight than a missing feature

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

If any of the behaviour you're coming across is seemingly unexpected, I'd recommend creating separate bug reports for these for our teams to investigate and clear up :)

I ask the above as the ability to clear the search falls under a Feature Request, any issues that arise due to a lack of this feature need to be reported separately as a bug please!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 8/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, GarryP said:

In addition to that, I’ve just noticed that if I am editing the Find and Replace Find field and press Tab twice then the ‘focus’ moves to the document text and pressing Tab more adds tabs to the text.

I would have expected that using Tab in the Find and Replace Panel would keep the focus within that panel so I could, essentially, tab between the two fields in that panel, rather than the focus going to the text where I can accidentally add tabs without noticing while wondering why the Find field was not getting the focus.

I wonder if there is a good reason why the current functionality would be preferable to what I would expect?

I cannot duplicate this tabbing behaviour on macOS - I can tab between Find and Replace all day and it never gives focus to the document. I must press Return/Enter. I wish Esc would cancel and shift focus to the document since there's no way to do that without using the mouse.

On 8/17/2022 at 7:36 AM, AlleyDukakis said:

I believe that Return/Enter must change focus to the  document because Find/Replace is a panel and not a dialog. In every other panel with a text box you can press Return to complete the action and return focus to the document so it must work this way for consistency. It might be nice if Affinity offered both a panel and a dialog for the two main user patterns of finding/replacing, just like Office 365 does. But if I had to choose between a panel and a dialog I'd opt for what Affinity has now. It is very compact and lets me work on each result before clicking on the next one.

My only real beef with Find/Replace other than the lack of Esc which I really don't care about is the issue of stale results. Search for something with multiple results. Delete the found text for the first one. Click the second one to view it. Now click the first one again - Affinity won't go back to that page because there is no text on that page that matches the find query - this is a stale result. Affinity should remove a result from the list when it no longer exists.

In the meantime, those who really want to clear the search results can do so by typing something like qq and pressing Return/Enter. It's not a great shortcut but it's better than nothing.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)