Publisher: Export to PDF with fx renders so-so...

Second question in two days -- long time user but this is the first time I've had to ask about (what seems to be) bugs.

Below, two screenshots.
The first one is from Publisher (Mac)
The second one is from Preview (same thing happens in Adobe Reader) after exporting to PDF.

All help appreciated.

image.thumb.png.a26d91d243ff4b7d626703712e8d5c3e.png

image.png.b066f0470ac0e99da13f8a09dfe4e26b.png

10 minutes ago, Bebebebenny said:

All help appreciated.

I can't get even CLOSE to your result. What were your export settings (screenshots would be helpful)? And could you please upload your sample .afpub file here?

Posted (edited)

test.afpub

Testing to upload -- I get the message that the file format is not supported by the forum, but perhaps that's just that I can't get a preview?

EDIT: Yup, that seems to be it. So, here's the file. Also, I'm on 1.10.5 which should be the latest.

Edited by Bebebebenny

Interestingly, I never thought to change to anything else than PDF (for print) which I've always taken to be the most reliable, not-downsamply of the lot.

But I now realize that if choose PDF (Digital - high quality) things look as they should.

So perhaps this was expected, just not by me...?

12 minutes ago, Bebebebenny said:

Also not by me. You can "fix" this by unchecking Allow advanced features. The Devs could say more about this?

• Allow advanced features—when selected, all design features supported by the PDF file format are exported as vectors. If this option is off, depending on the nature of these features, they are rasterized or converted to curves on export. These features include:
    • Artistic text which has been horizontally or vertically stretched.
    • Text which has an applied stroke.
    • Linear and radial gradients.
    • Non-solid transparencies.

If the Allow advanced features option is selected on export, the resulting PDF, when imported into other applications, may cause the above advanced features to be rasterised or rendered incorrectly. The third party's app may also display an error message on PDF import.

advancedfeatures.jpg

I get it! Thanks! A slight concern though is that rasterizing the effects seem to move it into a different color space -- the page background and the backdrop of the text bounding box now differ slightly.

Let's see if this turns out to be a can of worms, but at least now I now from which end to start opening it!

image.png.0f68ab92aa166a83de43f8f19559db03.png

23 minutes ago, Bebebebenny said:

Interesting. Could it be, that this document was converted once from RGB? I removed everything and started new using your values and everything is fine now without unchecking Advanced Features.

thistext.jpg

That's really interesting. It shouldn't be -- it was created from scratch (and in fact, the text above is not from the original document b/c it contains customer stuff, but a parallel, new document that I created just to show the problem).

So now the interesting question is probably if/how my default blank document settings differs from yours...? Hm...

• Moderators

Hi @Bebebebenny,

I've tried a number of things to recreate this issue from scratch and so far i haven't had any luck and i'm not too sure why this is happening with your file.  I'm going to poked the file some more and i'll have a word with QA to see if they can spot why this would happen.

3 hours ago, joe_l said:

Interesting. Could it be, that this document was converted once from RGB? I removed everything and started new using your values and everything is fine now without unchecking Advanced Features.

It's possible that could of caused this, however when i tried replicating this in a new file, even after the conversation, the file exported fine.

• Moderators

Hi @Bebebebenny,

Tracked down the cause of the problem.  The Layer Blend mode is set to Screen at 95%, if you set this to 100% your PDF export settings will work fine with Advanced features enabled, same if you set the blend range to Normal and export.  Also if you just open your file and export it out as a PDF/X-1a it also displays correctly.  From my understanding PDF/X-1a provides the best compatibility for transparencies in PDFs.

Wow @stokerg, thank you so much! That doesn't sound like a solution you just stumbled over... So thanks for the research!

About the different PDF subformats, is there a concise (and not too tech-y) compilation of the differences?
I realize that just from this brief thread, I've learned more than I even knew I didn't know...

Thanks again,

/B.