You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Way to set default JPEG export quality?

I did a search and read a few pages but I have not seen a way to set the default quality setting in JPEG so that it comes up to that every time when opening the program. I am constantly forgetting to change the setting and sometimes I am 10-15 images deep before I realize the quality is still set on 100 so I have to redo all of them. Would be nice if I could set it to 80 in the options somewhere and never have to worry about my aging memory and that again ;-)

Thanks!

My (Windows) JPG export quality stays the same as the last time I set it. Even after restarting the app.

Are you Windows or Mac?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

56 minutes ago, carl123 said:

My (Windows) JPG export quality stays the same as the last time I set it. Even after restarting the app.

Same for me on my Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Flea77,

Not sure why it's not remembering that setting, it may be worth performing a basic preferences reset (hold ctrl whilst booting the app, leave all options as they are and hit clear).

Though, why not use the export persona? It's designed exactly for this scenario.

You can define your exact specification for output and save it as a preset to be applied and exported in a couple of clicks maximum.

Lee

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

Are you Windows or Mac?

I am on Windows, 1.10.5.1342. I just now checked to make sure it was on 80, then closed the program, opened it, loaded an image, went to file>export, and it is set to 100 so it is not remembering.

53 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Flea77,

Not sure why it's not remembering that setting, it may be worth performing a basic preferences reset (hold ctrl whilst booting the app, leave all options as they are and hit clear).

Though, why not use the export persona? It's designed exactly for this scenario.

You can define your exact specification for output and save it as a preset to be applied and exported in a couple of clicks maximum.

Lee

I cleared my prefs as you suggested and have the same result. Closing the program causes it to forget the quality setting of 80 that I put in the JPEG export settings box.

Unless I am missing something (entirely possible), to export from photo persona it is File>Export. If I want to do the same thing in the export persona it is Export Persona>File>Export so an additional step. Besides, the way I am doing it SHOULD work it sounds like.

Try Run as Administrator.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

31 minutes ago, Flea77 said:

I just now checked to make sure it was on 80, then closed the program, opened it, loaded an image, went to file>export, and it is set to 100 so it is not remembering.

Did you actually export anything after you set it to 80? I think, but am not sure, that if you just cancel the export, it won't keep the setting.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

26 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Try Run as Administrator.

Same result. I might also point out that this is standard behavior on all my computers and has been for years. It has been this way on a Dell Latitude Windows 10 Pro laptop, a custom build Windows 10 Pro desktop, and a Dell XPS Windows 11 Pro laptop.

21 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Try what @Pšenda suggests, but yes you don't need to go to File > Export in the export persona, just select the preset and click export slices. (of which there will only be one).

Unless I am still missing something that is Export Persona > Preset > Export slices > Photo persona instead of File > Export > Export so an extra step. Appreciate the suggestion but I would rather not have to increase steps and/or learn a different way of doing things if what I am already familiar with SHOULD work.

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Did you actually export anything after you set it to 80? I think, but am not sure, that if you just cancel the export, it won't keep the setting.

Yes, every time I have tried/tested this I set the quality to 80, click export, give it a filename and click save. Then I exit the program and try the same thing again and it always resets the quality slider to 100.

1 hour ago, Flea77 said:

I might also point out that this is standard behavior on all my computers and has been for years.

It's been working like this on my computers for years (I set 10% as a test when exporting to JPEG about 14 days ago).
image.png.7e59418afc5922260b86574781851786.png

Then I exported to PNG and PDF, but the quality value for JPEG was remembered.

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Try what @Pšenda suggests,

Is the value of the set JPEG quality saved in the registry or in some file? One could then verify if the file is being changed/overwritten or if there is some problem with restricted access.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

My experience is it I change the quality to 80 I have altered whichever preset was chosen. This altered, no preset chosen, quality set to 80 setting is not preserved when quitting the application, the default preset seems to be the top of the list one and that is what I get.

If I make a Preset with the quality set to 80 then that preset can be retained through the quit start cycle.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

My experience is it I change the quality to 80 I have altered whichever preset was chosen. This altered, no preset chosen, quality set to 80 setting is not preserved when quitting the application, the default preset seems to be the top of the list one and that is what I get.

If I make a Preset with the quality set to 80 then that preset can be retained through the quit start cycle.

That's it! Adjusting the slider is NOT preserved, changing the preset IS preserved. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Weird! I now get that behavior as well, but for some reason it seemed that when I tested this earlier, whatever the slider was set to was preserved after quitting & restarting the app.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 months later...