You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question on road map

srg

Hello, I have a 2017 imac running the latest mac OS. the spinning wheel and lags for apparent no reasons are so common and frustration. At time to export from Aphoto to jpegs AP takes minutes just to start. I have metal on because if I remove it the spinning wheel and lags get even more frustrating. Other bug abound too.

Metal has been around for almost a decade and now in its third revision. I am wondering what is Serif doing. they have a beta in development and may be they fixed it (I doubt it though) but in any case my question is: why look for new features when the old one do not work yet. Isn't better to fix the essential before proceeding? too reasonable to be true...

• Staff

Hi srg, 

Are you sure metal is actually causing your issue?

Affinity is a system intensive piece of software and can require a lot of paging data to and from the hard drive.

What are the specs of your machine? The 2017 iMacs were still sold with what are now considered extremely slow mechanical hard drives in them, with the average lifespan of a mechanical drive in regular use being about 3-5 years, this behaviour could be a warning sign that you have impending drive failure hence my concern.

I would certainly advise backing up your machine if you haven't already. 

Once this is done it may be worth running the First Aid application on your mac to check the drive, but I stress that I advise that you back up first using time machine or whatever system you use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898

This may not be the cause of your issue, but I would advise looking into it first before we delve into the software itself.

Lee

7 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi srg, 

Are you sure metal is actually causing your issue?

Affinity is a system intensive piece of software and can require a lot of paging data to and from the hard drive.

What are the specs of your machine? The 2017 iMacs were still sold with what are now considered extremely slow mechanical hard drives in them, with the average lifespan of a mechanical drive in regular use being about 3-5 years, this behaviour could be a warning sign that you have impending drive failure hence my concern.

I would certainly advise backing up your machine if you haven't already. 

Once this is done it may be worth running the First Aid application on your mac to check the drive, but I stress that I advise that you back up first using time machine or whatever system you use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210898

This may not be the cause of your issue, but I would advise looking into it first before we delve into the software itself.

Lee

My mac has SSD internal drive. I read that many other AP users have the same performance problems I have so may be a software problem is involved.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 1.33.55 PM.png