You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to use Bokeh Effect and Other Adjustment Layers Together ? is it Possible ?

Hi Guys,

There is this Photo that I have to which, I want to first give a Bokeh Effect then I want to make other changes to the skin texture, brightness and over all sharpness to the image. So my question is, When I give the Bokeh effect to the image using Gaussian Blur, is it possible to add other adjustment layers also to the same project ? or will I have to do the rest of adjustments as a separate layer after I give the Bokeh effect using Gaussian Blur ?

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Which Affinity application are you using, and which functionality are you using to create the Gaussian Blur?

Affinity Photo  Which Functionality ?

Like for e.g. Make a Selection of the Subject

Then invert the Selection 

Then Create Mask 

then Deselect 

Then Pull out the Mask out from a child layer to a separate layer

Again Click the Picture and

Then Select Gaussian Blur, then pull it out from a child layer to a separate layer

Make the Mask the child layer of the Gaussian Blur

Drag the entire Gaussian Blur Layer along with the Mask on to the Image layer then play with the Radius in the Gaussian Blur Filter

is that what you were asking ?

As for “functionality” I was really asking whether you were using a Quick Effect Gaussian Blur, or the Gaussian Blur Filter or a Live Gaussian Blur Filter.

It sounds like you are using too many steps.

If it was me I would probably:

• Duplicate the image layer;
  • Select the girl;
  • Create a Mask Layer;
  • Deselect;
  • Add a Live Gaussian Blur Filter to the bottom layer.

As in my quick-and-crude attached example video (selection needs way more attention).

But I’m not entirely sure about what you’re trying to achieve.

1 hour ago, augustya said:

So my question is, When I give the Bokeh effect to the image using Gaussian Blur, is it possible to add other adjustment layers also to the same project ? or will I have to do the rest of adjustments as a separate layer after I give the Bokeh effect using Gaussian Blur ?

Adjustment layers are always separate layers. Just add them above your image / blur layers. Note, the stacking order / layer hierarchy of several adjustment layers matters and can change their total result.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Adjustment layers are always separate layers. Just add them above your image / blur layers. Note, the stacking order / layer hierarchy of several adjustment layers matters and can change their total result.

Separate Layers I get it, but can it be done in the same project is what I was asking...

I don't understand. Aren't Adjustments always done to a "same project", respectively how could they cause the desired result if placed in another project ??

See above: "Just add them above your image / blur layers."

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I don't understand. Aren't Adjustments always done to a "same project", respectively how could they cause the desired result if placed in another project ??

See above: "Just add them above your image / blur layers."

Meaning First you do the first part of editing of your image in project one then you download that image and then create a second project and then work on the first image which you have downloaded. If it is not possible to do everything in the same project.

1 minute ago, augustya said:

Meaning First you do the first part of editing of your image in project one then you download that image and then create a second image and then work on the first image which you have downloaded. If it is not possible to do everything in the same project.

What? First you edit an image in Affinity and then download it? Where from?

And what would prevent you from doing the edits of your 2nd session in the same document where you did the 1st edits, or add more edits a year later?

This appears to be a lot easier / faster simply to try out yourself – rather than asking this in the forum, in particular with text only.

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

What? First you edit an image in Affinity and then download it? Where from?

And what would prevent you from doing the edits of your 2nd session in the same document where you did the 1st edits, or add more edits a year later?

This appears to be a lot easier / faster simply to try out yourself – rather than asking this in the forum, in particular with text only.

Ok ! Thank You For Nothing !

Looks like you always jump into my Threads to point out my mistakes on how should I not post it what I have posted ?

Please earn yourself a Moderator Tag if you are that desperate !! and leave my thread alone. I do not see any help coming from you since last many replies that you have posted on my threads. All you do is Nit Picking. I told you last time also I will not ask your permission and will not post a question according to what you deem it as a Valid Question! Period !!

It's not about permission. Rather about unambiguos comprehensibility, including my personal limitation of understanding and I want to ask you, please don't blame me because of my possibly limited skills.

I don't see anything wrong, missing, blaming or forbiding in this answer:

38 minutes ago, augustya said:
44 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Separate Layers I get it, but can it be done in the same project is what I was asking...

To be more clear:

Q.: can it be done in the same project?

A.: Yes, it can be done in the same project.

Q.: How?

A.: Just add them above your image / blur layers.

4 hours ago, augustya said:

Meaning First you do the first part of editing of your image in project one then you download that image and then create a second project and then work on the first image which you have downloaded. If it is not possible to do everything in the same project.

It is not clear what you mean by "download that image." If downloading an image, please tell us where you are downloading it from, like from a website, or maybe if you mean just opening a file stored locally on your system. If you do not really mean "download," is it possible you mean saving and/or closing the document?

Also, by "a second project" do you mean starting a new project, reopening the first (now saved?) project, or something else?

Unless you can be clearer about what you mean, I doubt anyone can help you more than they already have.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is not clear what you mean by "download that image." If downloading an image, please tell us where you are downloading it from, like from a website, or maybe if you mean just opening a file stored locally on your system. If you do not really mean "download," is it possible you mean saving and/or closing the document?

Also, by "a second project" do you mean starting a new project, reopening the first (now saved?) project, or something else?

Unless you can be clearer about what you mean, I doubt anyone can help you more than they already have.

Yes download the image means export the image from the first project to your local desktop and then use that second image to start a new project 2nd project is what I meant. And was asking? But that seems like defeating the whole purpose of having different layers is what I understand.

5 hours ago, augustya said:

Yes download the image means export the image from the first project to your local desktop and then use that second image to start a new project 2nd project is what I meant. And was asking? But that seems like defeating the whole purpose of having different layers is what I understand.

Your terminology is still too hard to understand exactly what you mean. When you say "export" do you really mean exporting your first Affinity project to your desktop in some other raster ("image") format, like as a JPEG, PNG, or such? You do this either from the File > Export menu item or using the Export Persona.

If so, you could either open this exported raster image file as a new Affinity project, or place it in an existing Affinity project as an image layer via the File > Place... menu item. If the latter, the placed image file will be on its own layer. 

There are other possibilities as well but it would really help if you could describe more fully what you are trying to do, like by telling us which menu options you are using while you are working on your projects.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Your terminology is still too hard to understand exactly what you mean. When you say "export" do you really mean exporting your first Affinity project to your desktop in some other raster ("image") format, like as a JPEG, PNG, or such? You do this either from the File > Export menu item or using the Export Persona.

If so, you could either open this exported raster image file as a new Affinity project, or place it in an existing Affinity project as an image layer via the File > Place... menu item. If the latter, the placed image file will be on its own layer. 

There are other possibilities as well but it would really help if you could describe more fully what you are trying to do, like by telling us which menu options you are using while you are working on your projects.

1. Yes to the first Para

2. But is that a wise approach ? to start a new project with the image file (JPEG or PNG) from the first project working on the same image ?

Just now, augustya said:

2. But is that a wise approach ? to start a new project with the image file (JPEG or PNG) from the first project working on the same image ?

It all depends on what you want to do with the image you exported from the first project file. For example, you might want to change its appearance using filters or adjustments & reexport that as a new JPEG or PNG; combine it with new layers (text, pixel, vector, whatever) & either save that as a new Affinity format file or export it to any of the supported export formats; or do both.

IOW, it is the end use(s) for your project(s) that determine how you create and/or modify them.

There is no one best way to do this for all possible project types.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, augustya said:

There is this Photo that I have to which, I want to first give a Bokeh Effect then I want to make other changes to the ....

Do the Out of Focus (Bokeh) effect.  Save the file File > Save.

1539056646_ScreenShot2022-08-16at12_23_33PM.png.f1dc5ff53a1b60f277b610f395ff56b9.png

Then do the Whatever Else. Save the file File > Save.

493416692_ScreenShot2022-08-16at12_24_16PM.png.001b158adab389479b8fbc1c872ae1e9.png

Repeat etc. Save the file File > Save.

etc. Save the file File > Save.

Finally export. File > Export.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.