You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Facing a consistent issue in linking (and flowing) text between multiple frames especially if inserting extra pages between a flow.

Hello,

(PLEASE WATCH THE SCREEN CAST VIDEO INCASE YOU ARE UNABLE TO VISUALIZE THE PROBLEM STATEMENT)

Would be glad if someone could help me understand where I am going wrong. I am creating a book layout with two sets of Master Pages - Master A - For simple text one column text and Master B - for holding the Chapter Titles. However the problem is arising when I am trying to insert pages within the layout and reflowing text using the text-flow buttons (triangular linking buttons).

Scenario:

Sometimes I face a situation where I need to increase the Font size of the book. When that happens I need to add additional pages to accommodate the new enlarged fonts. At times I want to push a Chapter Title (frame) down by adding new pages to accommodate the extra text. This helps because when the new Chapter gets pushed down I can pull the text from above by inserting blank pages and reflowing the text into those pages.

Problem Statement:

I add the new blank pages (say before the Chapter Title Frame). And now I go back to the Flow Text Button (Blue Triangle) and try to populate the blank pages. However when I click the flow button and try to the link the next page (already framed as it is a duplicated master page) it DOES NOT get highlighted. Instead the cursor turns into a "Text Frame"!

If I try to skip that page and populate the next one - NOTHING FLOWS. Instead this new page gets linked while it remains blank. The flow button creates an Additional link into that page without the flowing the text. The original link remains intact creating multiple diagonal links garbling the arrangement. 

I hope this makes sense however PLEASE WATCH THE SCREEN CAST TO VISUALLY SEE THIS IN ACTION.

Would be grateful to get some assistance to learn where I am going wrong

Thanks a lot

Best

Somraj Dutta

• Staff

Hi @CASSIOPIAN PUBLISHING

We have not been able to recreate the issue where page 1 is not having the master page applied, could you send us a copy of you document so we can look into this further.
I can send a private upload link if you do not want to share it publicly.

In regard to the text flow, could you try 'breaking' the text flow after you add the 4 pages, then see if it links correctly.

Sure. Please share the private upload link here and I will share it with you. Since this is a book layout kindly do not share it back publicly.

And in regards to your suggestion could you please elaborate how I can "break" the text flow in between page. That would be helpful and I'll try it our right away.

Thanks again. Waiting for your upload link so that I may share the document for your perusal.

Thanks 

Somraj Dutta

• Staff
15 minutes ago, CASSIOPIAN PUBLISHING said:

Please share the private upload link here

Here is the requested link https://www.dropbox.com/request/YBtu8jjgbhcu6fDFVA2N

To unlink a text frame from the frame sequence:

Select the text frame to be unlinked, then click the 'previous' and/or 'next' Text Flow buttons (top left or bottom right, respectively).
Click within the frame when the unlink cursor (Unlink test frame) appears.

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Text/linkingTextFrames.html?title=Linking text frames

Have uploaded the file. For your reference you may straight head to page 158 where the issue had cropped up (although it had cropped up elsewhere as well). I have added the 4 pages and kept it that way. 

Also I tried un-linking the frame text page before the beginning of the 4 added pages. However it seems the links are not disabling or the page is not getting isolated from the array. Or am I missing something? 

Best, Somraj

1 hour ago, EmT said:

Here is the requested link https://www.dropbox.com/request/YBtu8jjgbhcu6fDFVA2N

To unlink a text frame from the frame sequence:

Select the text frame to be unlinked, then click the 'previous' and/or 'next' Text Flow buttons (top left or bottom right, respectively).
Click within the frame when the unlink cursor (Unlink test frame) appears.

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Text/linkingTextFrames.html?title=Linking text frames

• Staff

Hi @CASSIOPIAN PUBLISHING

We are still looking into your issue regarding the missing text frame. However to get around it you once the pages are created, if you re-apply Master A to the first page, this will then put the text frame onto the page. 

In regard to the linked pages not unlinking, on pages 158 and 159 there are 2 blank text frames overlaying the linked frames. If you detached the pages from the master page then delete these blank frames, you will then be able link these frames without issue.
image.png

image.png

Hello EmT, your suggestions worked!  There were overlapping text frames which once I removed I could relink the pages without much hassle. Many thanks. You guys are super.

As regards to the missing text frame I am afraid there could be a bug in the program. You may want to check it at your end. Thanks a lot.

Regards

Somraj

• Staff
On 8/20/2022 at 7:17 AM, CASSIOPIAN PUBLISHING said:

As regards to the missing text frame I am afraid there could be a bug in the program.

We have now passed this issue over to our developers for further investigation. I would recommend re-applying the Master page where needed to get around this issue.