You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

9 minutes ago, dcr said:

InDesign CS3 did pretty much everything we needed it to do.  I think there were a couple new features in CS6 that have been handy, but I can't remember what they are.

Before ID CS5.5 I was working on FrameMaker. Suffering with the buggy Windows version, since the excellent Mac one had been ceased.

ID CS5.5 introduced features barely kept from FrameMaker, like cross-references, and improved chapter synchronization. In the meantime, IDML had been introduced. And ID CS6 improved on that.

If you didn't need these features, there was little new. These features have not been improved from ten years ago, and they would really need a rewriting.

9 minutes ago, dcr said:

I cannot activate InDesign CS6 on another machine so once the machine

Just to be sure when transitioning, I’ve duplicated my Adobe CS6 Master Collection into a Parallels Desktop Sierra virtual machine. It works fine. I'm not sure it will, if switching to a Silicon Mac.

IDMarkz looks like a viable solution to keep compatibility open. It is expensive, but it will only be needed in a working context, so it would be justified. Renting ID CC for one month is another solution, but then it would only work for one month.

Paolo

Hah, yeh I get it. It's expensive as all hell but it's been in the app like 15 years before it went subscription. Maxon also seem like a stingy company and I doubt many people use the export AI function at all, so I wonder if they actually pay for it or Adobe just doesn't consider a 3D program to be a competitor to Adobe Illustrator so they get a pass. 

7 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

You should ask Maxon for this but my guess its licensed hence the pricing.
Serif could have opted for it but it would make the pricing a bit steeper and we wouldn't have that, wouldn't we?
(Serif have stated many times that they would like to do as much things themselves with a minimum of external resources as necessary)

Yeh fair enough. A man can dream! It's one of the big things keeping me from fully moving to Designer as I do a lot of After Effects work with loads of vector layers and unfortunately it's just too fiddly now with Designer export limitations. If I did strictly static work I'd have probably switched over by now.

I don't use StudioLink with publisher to design because I simply don't have the facility to export as with the "Persona" of AD, I hope version 2.0 includes something similar XD.

I see the days go by very slowly, hopefully and at least you can pre-order or receive betas after the 9th

13 hours ago, David Gill said:

I would love to see a way to create your own font folders, one folder for favorites just isn't enough.

That is what font management software is for. If you don’t use one already I recommend Right Font app for Mac. There are many more for all operating systems.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

16 hours ago, David Gill said:

I would love to see a way to create your own font folders, one folder for favorites just isn't enough.

I'm the developer of Typeface app for Mac — would love to integrate with the Affinity suite to get better support for font collections. Currently it's possible to drag and drop from Typeface to Affinity, but it would be nice to have your custom tags/sets in the font picker as well. Fingers crossed for a plugin system in v2, that would be amazing :)

1 hour ago, Floor said:

I'm the developer of Typeface app for Mac — would love to integrate with the Affinity suite to get better support for font collections. Currently it's possible to drag and drop from Typeface to Affinity, but it would be nice to have your custom tags/sets in the font picker as well. Fingers crossed for a plugin system in v2, that would be amazing :)

Auto activation for Affinity would definately make me switch to your app. I now use Font Explorer, but it has been discontinued.

23 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

Auto activation for Affinity would definately make me switch to your app. I now use Font Explorer, but it has been discontinued.

Auto Activation is included and works natively for the Affinity apps. Not sure about v2 of course, I don't have access to the super secret internal beta unfortunately... eagerly waiting for the 9th like all of us!

2 minutes ago, Floor said:

Auto Activation is included and works natively for the Affinity apps. Not sure about v2 of course, I don't have access to the super secret internal beta unfortunately... eagerly waiting for the 9th like all of us!

I will give it a go, but I will have to check how to avoid conflicts with my current font manager.

2 hours ago, Twolane said:

Oh, look. Another time-waster video speculating on what will happen with the Affinity Trinity release on the 9th (2 days away). I should be so fortunate to spend my time watching. No thanks.

At least his hat isn't on backwards.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

3 hours ago, postmadesign said:

I now use Font Explorer, but it has been discontinued.

my recommendation for organizing fonts, images and a ton of other files is Eagle from https://en.eagle.cool  It makes a system wide activation for fonts and is simply rad.

Edit; Eagle works on windows systems too.

hero-8.webp

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Two more sleeps lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

While we are waiting around here . . .   image1.jpeg.5fb83b5d05caf41d0484159bf32e798d.jpeg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Like I said before, no app release can ever live up to the hype. If v2 even checks off one or two items on my wish list then I consider that a win.

Even so, Affinity products are already more robust than the Adobe equivalents that were mature enough to earn their keep 20+ years ago. I may have to currently work around glaring feature holes such as the lack of even a basic timeline in Photo, but stability, predictability, price, & permanence are my #1 priorities with these apps. Always.

Either way, I'd personally rather not speculate. It's a snipe hunt.

As for the 9th... Wouldn't it be something if that's just when they announce the release date? LOL

FWIW, nothin' wrong with a backwards hat. It's dang comfortable, even if I'm way too old for the look. :)

8 minutes ago, cookepuss said:

Like I said before, no app release can ever live up to the hype.

I'll disagree with you there.  Way back when, GoLive CyberStudio certainly lived up to the hype.  They had a demo version that was, I think, a thirty day demo or something and I downloaded it.  And a day—or maybe it was a weekend—was enough to convince me to buy which I did without even waiting thirty days.  And I used that for a number of years until I upgraded to Mac OS X.

Of course, that was long before Adobe bought it and eventually killed it.  Sigh.  Sometimes it seems like there ought to be a memorial page somewhere to mourn all the great software that Adobe bought and killed.

Should be a lesson to any company to never to sell out to Adobe.

I'm excited about the next version.

For me, current affinity has a solid foundation. I already like the workflow (vector + raster hybrid) and its performance

So I'd be happy if the next version is just a refinement of the current suite.
My wishlist for AD v2 are:
simplify path, envelope/distortion, pressure sensitivity for opacity (stylus), better PSD compatibility, and scripting support/plugin API, while keeping the good performance and not bloated.

3 hours ago, dcr said:

there ought to be a memorial page somewhere to mourn all the great software that Adobe bought and killed.

Here's one: freehand-forum.org

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

For those who need to hear this: It's perfectly fine to be excited about an incoming feature update. You're not a corporate shill for liking a piece of software...

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

11 hours ago, Floor said:

I have to congratulate you because after so many years, and they are really many, typeface is the best application I have ever purchased!

ciao

Fabio