You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 hours ago, paristo said:

Then when Affinity Designer was released

As far as I know, at least for Windows, ADesigner was released first, and only then APhoto (see also the release order of Workbooks).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, dcr said:

Maybe he bought VectorStyler.

Excellent replacement for APhoto and APublisher 🙂

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, dcr said:

Don't you know by now that with its thousands of features VectorStyler can do virtually everything?  I heard a rumor the next version will even be able to change a baby's diapers.

According to the constant praise we can read here, it can be expected 🙂

There is only one thing that Publisher lacks that prevents me from using it for my work. It is my only wish for R2.

Place a 1bit tiff image. Export it to PDF without Publisher converting that image to RGB. It should leave it alone. I've given up on 1bit image support in Photo, but please allow for 1bit images to be used and exported AS-IS to a PDF with the background transparent - overprinting the black.

That's all. 🙂

4 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Place a 1bit tiff image.

As said long time ago Affinity do not plan to do it. So, the work arround, until they add bitmap trace, is to trace it in Inkscape and use it as a vector object.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

6 minutes ago, NNN said:

As said long time ago Affinity do not plan to do it. So, the work arround, until they add bitmap trace, is to trace it in Inkscape and use it as a vector object.

That is not a solution. Nor a workable workaround. Not with comic work. The devs have stated they will never support a 1bit image mode in Photo, but as far as I am aware they never said they would not allow placing 1bit image files in Publisher for PDF export.

On 11/4/2022 at 5:48 AM, chrisb123 said:

Even people who bought the entire set a few months ago?

Most probably. The thing is that they haven't cleared this up.

So if I was about to buy it now, I would wait until 9. If it's already purchased but it's within the refund period, I'll refund it and buy the 2.0 IF it came out on November 9th.

But if it's just the announcement of the upcoming update then, well... I'll buy it and pay for the update whenever it comes out next year. Hopefully, they would have explained by then how the price scheme works (full price or special price for existing customers).

By looking at the recents ads and moves from Adobe, and reading about the near-turmoil about Affinity v2 in the web, I believe that many things will change in design and communication in the next few years.

Affinity v2 might be just a step more that what it is now, but it will be a solid, viable replacement to the Adobe design suite for whomever is not forced into that ecosystem (by slow decisions, installed software, compatibility with the archives and other tools, cost of retraining). Many passionate amateurs, part-time professionals, and even independent professionals will finally switch.

To the usual objection about how irreplaceable Adobe is, I could oppose a list of affirmed professionals and publishing houses using different tools. Sometimes real classics, like CorelDRAW or Quark XPress. A minority, maybe, but a consistent one, and not even a niche. In any case, professionals for which the tool is not the focus, as much as this is their work. For which any viable and comfortable tool can do the work.

Adobe is clearly targeting to a younger audience, less likely to be moved to use deep and complex tools. They are pushing toward artificial intelligence, pre-made actions, and a much simplified graphic style. InDesign has entered maintenance mode since years, and is in any case, with page layout and print slowly becoming nearly-residual, reserved to a limited number of users. The more complex tools are going to become something reserved to a narrow circle of old-style creatives, a bit like engraving and calligraphy.

Not having expected competition, Adobe looks like having been caught with their defense lowered. They are again mad at trying to destroy any competition, even spending immense fortunes to purchase them (as they did with Macromedia and Aldus). On the other side, Serif has gone through the hell of being purchased by bigger companies, and have been lucky enough to be able to buy themselves back. They will grow considerably during the next years, but they will probably do all they can to avoid being purchased again.

So, we will have an incumbent (Adobe) that will still profit of the current position in big institutions and less-informed professionals. They will change their business model again, by trying to have their subscription subsidized by schools and public institutions. They will get the younger "new professionals", at least with Photoshop and maybe a simplified Premiere. They will continue to profit from the digital document protection system (assuming Amazon will not definitely eat their market share).

And we will have Serif, that will continue to appeal to independent professionals and shops, and continue to develop and perfect the traditional arts. Maybe they will also slowly slip into the schools and universities (something that seems to be already happening). Adobe and Serif will progressively move toward the opposite sides of the design and communication worlds.

Paolo

2 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

Vector styler is more  like Designer, not Photo...

Um, didn't the smiley face at the end tell you anything?

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

So you are considering those three as sort of 'sub-personas' of the Photo Persona? What happens if you try to open a RAW file -- are you still seeing all the other Persona buttons or what?

Yes, they can be seen as "sub-personas" on AP.

If you open a RAW file then the Affinity Suite should open that in the Develop Persona (or "sub-persona") in AP. And yes, you could still see the other Persona buttons as well, but of course you would have to commit or cancel your work before being to change to other Personas (just as it is right now).

@Fernan, I just use the computer's Operating System to achieve what you are describing.

I see no real advantage and there are unintended consequences to having the raw file open in the Develop persona of Photo if I just wanted to open the raw file in Designer to get an idea of the best layout for text overtop of the as yet undeveloped image.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I see no real advantage and there are unintended consequences to having the raw file open in the Develop persona of Photo if I just wanted to open the raw file in Designer to get an idea of the best layout for text overtop of the as yet undeveloped image.

How do you open a RAW file in AD?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How do you open a RAW file in AD?

For my Canon raw files I use File > Open.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

For my Canon raw files I use File > Open.

OK, but if you open them in Affinity Designer, you do not have any control over how the file is developed ... in fact, I think you just get the preview bitmap image in the file (if it has one).

Does that sound right to you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Does that sound right to you?

Yes. I don't want to develop the image, I am just opening it to decide where to place text or other vector items. It is a rare use case. Just seeing if the image is going to work with the font I have chosen or vice versa, many rare use cases where I just want to see the image and try out some design work.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@Fernan, I just use the computer's Operating System to achieve what you are describing.

I think that yours is a very special case of use, to say the least 🙃

I guess that not many people open RAW files in AD like you do, but it is an interesting to know different workflows.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Yes. I don't want to develop the image, I am just opening it to decide where to place text or other vector items. It is a rare use case. Just seeing if the image is going to work with the font I have chosen or vice versa, many rare use cases where I just want to see the image and try out some design work.

But anyway, you could just do the same thing in Affinity Suite. You would open the image (which would open in the Developer Persona of AP) and just click the Develop button. And of course, you can totally work with fonts and vectors right in AP, or you can switch to the AD "Persona" if you want, with just a single click.

It would be exactly the same, and just one click more is needed 😃

12 minutes ago, Fernan said:

It would be exactly the same,

As things stand now it is exactly as it is.

I have to repeat myself here, what you are describing is achieved by using the Operating System. No need to make a new Application, it exists already. Want to work in the Designer persona just open that application and work in it.

I do agree with the people who are wanting tighter integration regarding Assets (even though I don't use them, I use files on my hard drives). I agree that there is some unwanted duplication of effort here and there and if possible it should be done away with. Off the top of my head... A list of favourite fonts should perhaps be the same in all three applications.

9 minutes ago, David Gill said:

I would love to see a way to create your own font folders, one folder for favorites just isn't enough.

Here on Mac I use Apple's Font Book application for this.

8 hours ago, PaoloT said:

To the usual objection about how irreplaceable Adobe is, I could oppose a list of affirmed professionals and publishing houses using different tools. Sometimes real classics, like CorelDRAW or Quark XPress. A minority, maybe, but a consistent one, and not even a niche. In any case, professionals for which the tool is not the focus, as much as this is their work. For which any viable and comfortable tool can do the work.

And QuarkXPress continually manages to shoot themselves in the foot.  When Adobe moved to subscriptions, Quark had their first big opportunity.  They kind of blew it.  And, as time goes on, their only target appears to be their own feet and they keep shooting and not understanding why they keep missing the actual target and why their feet hurt and some toes are missing.

The only thing that makes Adobe "irreplaceable" is when you have files locked in their formats.  There are a wide variety of applications that will open PSD files without a problem.  That makes Photoshop the easiest app to replace.  With Illustrator files, I have only found CorelDraw and VectorStyler to be able to open the native .ai file and not just the PDF stream.  And InDesign (.indd) files are even harder.  There are a number of options for opening .idml files but what is really needed are options for opening .indd files because, if you have a large number of files, it is likely you will not be able to export them all to .idml before you no longer have access to InDesign.  That's where, I think, some people get stuck.

And that leaves out Fireworks.  I don't know of anything that can open and edit a Fireworks .png file.  And since Adobe killed off Fireworks, well, I don't think even a subscription will help you now.

Adobe is clearly targeting to a younger audience, less likely to be moved to use deep and complex tools. They are pushing toward artificial intelligence, pre-made actions, and a much simplified graphic style.

There are plenty of competitors in that space though.  There are countless applications for doing simple graphics and with templates or pre-made options.  AI is becoming common as well.

But, it would be fun to watch Adobe lose the professional market and then crash and burn in a sea of inexpensive apps that provide shallow and simple tools.

InDesign has entered maintenance mode since years, and is in any case, with page layout and print slowly becoming nearly-residual, reserved to a limited number of users.

Yes.  I switched from InDesign CS3 to InDesign CS6 back when CS6 was still current.  And, really, I only switched because I was receiving files created in Illustrator versions after CS3 that InDesign CS3 could not import.  That was really the only reason.  Otherwise, InDesign CS3 did pretty much everything we needed it to do.  I think there were a couple new features in CS6 that have been handy, but I can't remember what they are.

I basically went from PageMaker 6.5 to InDesign CS3.  We had PageMaker 7 but never really used it because 6.5 did everything we needed.  And the switch to InDesign CS3 was done primarily because PageMaker didn't run on MacOS X.

The sticky point now is that I have the means to open any PageMaker file or InDesign CS3 file we have and will continue to be able to do so as long as I have hardware capable of running those apps.  But, I cannot activate InDesign CS6 on another machine so once the machine with the current install of InDesign CS6 becomes incapable of running, then I have no easy way to open all those .indd files that have accumulated over the years.

And that's where Adobe has people over the barrel.

And that's also why I avoid software that requires Internet activation.

Spoiler

Maybe a little off-topic, but I've always hoped to get a better layered vector file out of Affinity Designer that behaves with After Effects but have had the reply that Affinity can't export an AI format because it is proprietary to Adobe. However, I also use Cinema 4D which exports layered AI files and has done so for many many years. Does that mean Maxon are paying Adobe to export that format? It's been in Cinema 4D for almost 20 years and pre-dates Maxon's closer relationship with Adobe afaik. ie there's no hope of getting that ability still in Affinity 2.0?