You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

6 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

I wonder what is different, in this image, to what we have now.

image.png.8154f8dad64b57a9a09992f2aec43ac8.png

(Edit: I see Walt already pointed to the existing integration).

Paolo

Yeah, I was not aware about the subject.

But I think it would better to have this working on a single suite, where whenever you going to edit a photo, create a logo, layout a page or draw something, you just open the same single "big" program; Affinity Suite.

I don't see what is the reason behind this working this way only on Publisher 🤔

• Staff

@Coblynau

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

19 minutes ago, Coblynau said:

If V2 is purchased, will the license allow the download/installation of V1?

No that is not planned, thought I appreciate you taking the time to explain why you think it would be appreciated 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Stepaan said:

I'm just guessing, but... Your image shows the Affinity Publisher's Studiolink with limited feature set of ADesigner and APhoto. But on the first picture it seems, you just can work on a single document in all full featured apps...

The only thing different in the first is the order of the 3 Persona buttons. There is no indication that (for instance) there is a Liquify, Tone Mapping, or Develop Persona; or for that matter that the 3 icons are actually part of any actual v2 app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

You can 'sort of' do that with only AD & AP. FILE - EDIT IN ????? will open the other program and transfer the file to it. When you want to go back then repeat the FILE - EDIT IN ???? and it transfers back.

Sure, I use that all the time. Pretty useful stuff.

But I think that the idea of a single "whole" Suite would bring to many of us a better way of working. You would just have all the 3 apps right in there, just "separate" by a single click away.

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Years ago (decades actually) I used an application called Canvas from Deneba. It was good for Photos, Vectors and Page layout. They eventually stopped making it for Mac so I had to stop using it.

I had not hear about it, but it sounds like it was a really cool application 😃

I hope one day Affinity will reach a point soon where all users can say something similar: "Affinity is GREAT for photos, vectors and page layout" 🤞

32 minutes ago, Fernan said:

Nonetheless it would be great to be able to just open one and the same program (Affinity Suite) to be able to work this way.

For many (not all) purposes, Publisher is that Suite application, though Serif does not market it that way. And you also have to purchase Photo and Designer.

But once you have all three, you can start your work using Publisher, and you have all the functionality of Designer's main Persona (Designer Persona), and most of the functionality of Photo's main Persona (Photo Persona). You do not have their Export Persona, nor the other Personas from Photo, nor a few other Photo functions from the File menu. Nor the Pixel Persona from Designer, but those functions are covered by Photo. 

If you need the missing functions you can always switch to the full Designer or Photo application via File > Edit In....

So, except for users who frequently need those "missing" functions, Publisher really can serve as the Suite you want, in my opinion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

28 minutes ago, Stepaan said:

I'm just guessing, but... Your image shows the Affinity Publisher's Studiolink with limited feature set of ADesigner and APhoto. But on the first picture it seems, you just can work on a single document in all full featured apps...

So, the features from AD and AP that you can access from Publisher are limited? Mmm, that is kind of interesting, and weird...

If that is so, then I think the idea of a single big Suite containing the full versions of AD, AP and Publisher have even more sense.

3 minutes ago, Fernan said:

I had not hear about it, but it sounds like it was a really cool application 😃

Deneba Canvas for Mac was fine up through version 3 back in the days when it used the old "QuickDraw" engine built into the classic Mac OS, but after that when they tried to transition to the more modern PDF-like Quartz engine, it ran so slowly on the Mac hardware of that era that it was almost unusable.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I'm just wondering what the reason can be for not paying for the product directly to the developers who develop and maintain the app (and therefore deserve to be rewarded for a job well done), but rather give the money to someone who is not involved in the development and maintenance at all, only benefiting from its dominant position and does it mediate sales?

In my case, for at least one of the purchases, it's because Serif didn't accept Apple iTunes gift cards for online payment.  ;)

Good to hear there's something new coming from Affinity soon.

Fingers crossed this is about new versions of the existing apps and that Photo in particular finally gets around to adding scripting/automation beyond the existing macro functionality. That's an area the Adobe competitor has been leagues ahead in so far.

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For many (not all) purposes, Publisher is that Suite application, though Serif does not market it that way. And you also have to purchase Photo and Designer.

But once you have all three, you can start your work using Publisher, and you have all the functionality of Designer's main Persona (Designer Persona), and most of the functionality of Photo's main Persona (Photo Persona). You do not have their Export Persona, nor the other Personas from Photo, nor a few other Photo functions from the File menu. Nor the Pixel Persona from Designer, but those functions are covered by Photo. 

If you need the missing functions you can always switch to the full Designer or Photo application via File > Edit In....

So, except for users who frequently need those "missing" functions, Publisher really can serve as the Suite you want, in my opinion.

Yes, I completely agree. To be honest, I feel kind of embarrassed that I did not know about the Studio Link stuff 😅

I always thought of Publisher as just an alternative for InDesign (which I do not use either). But I had not idea it had this "extra" feature. Only If I had known that before... 🤦‍♂️

So yeah, Publisher can serves as that "big" Suite. But to be honest, I still think this could be taken to a whole new level of integration.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The only thing different in the first is the order of the 3 Persona buttons. There is no indication that (for instance) there is a Liquify, Tone Mapping, or Develop Persona; or for that matter that the 3 icons are actually part of any actual v2 app.

994066691_affinitybigupgrade.png.18d3c8977168dd3f8473e166b32d5c68.png

No really, there is more than the order of the icons. The buttons for Liquify, Tone Mapping and Develop Personas would appear when you switch to Affinity Photo, as these tools have been designed to work only with pixels. If they develop a Persona to deform vectors (like Liquify), then of course that button should appear in the Designer Persona.

In the Designer App (as shown in the image), there would be no more a Pixel Persona button, because you have the "real thing" right at the side. I think this would get rid of many unnecessary redundant things in the Affinity Suite (like having pixels brushes that only are present on the Photo Persona in AD, but no in AP)

19 minutes ago, Fernan said:

Yes, I completely agree. To be honest, I feel kind of embarrassed that I did not know about the Studio Link stuff 😅

I always thought of Publisher as just an alternative for InDesign (which I do not use either). But I had not idea it had this "extra" feature. Only If I had known that before... 🤦‍♂️

Don't be embarrassed. These apps have so many features that I'm still discovering ones I didn't know about. And when you've used another program for so long your mind doesn't expect things to work a different way.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

...or you just open the document in an app like Affinity Studiolink (hence the screenshot), and then you decide, in which app you want to work on it. Personas will be displayed later, within the chosen app. Studiolink as a part of the Publisher will be gone.

If there is a new application added to the mix, I would guess a DAM as a couple others have suggested.  It's something they've said before they're considering, so I think that would be the strongest possibility.  Animation software seems improbable.  Maybe being able to do animated GIFs could be a new addition to Photo, but I doubt there will be anything along the lines of animation software or video editing software.  I would love an announcement that they've figured out the Adobe Fireworks file format and are releasing a Fireworks competitor, or adding Fireworks features to Photo, but that seems unlikely as well.  A DAM seems the most likely possibility.  But, it could be that the only BIG thing is the new Affinity Suite with the three apps more tightly integrated.

Random thought but all this talk about the inability for Affinity version1 to be able to open Version 1 files reminded me how helpful having Affinity around in the earlier days - especially to open the newer Illustrator CC files that would not open otherwise in my older CS6 version. I'd go to open it in CS6 and it'd open to a blank screen and tell me my version of CS6 was too old to open the new file - fire up Designer and open it there and transferred the art over to CS6 lol. 
It's awesome that we can run and use older versions of Affinity in perpetuity, but as time goes on there are going to be more limitations on what it can accept from others. I think it would be handy if each new version of Affinity had the option to downgrade the file type to an older version so those not looking to upgrade can still use files.
Adobe has this feature and it's very handy

1 hour ago, Fernan said:

No really, there is more than the order of the icons. The buttons for Liquify, Tone Mapping and Develop Personas would appear when you switch to Affinity Photo, as these tools have been designed to work only with pixels.

So you are considering those three as sort of 'sub-personas' of the Photo Persona? What happens if you try to open a RAW file -- are you still seeing all the other Persona buttons or what?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Random thought but all this talk about the inability for Affinity version1 to be able to open Version 1 files reminded me how helpful having Affinity around in the earlier days - especially to open the newer Illustrator CC files that would not open otherwise in my older CS6 version. I'd go to open it in CS6 and it'd open to a blank screen and tell me my version of CS6 was too old to open the new file - fire up Designer and open it there and transferred the art over to CS6 lol.

I have Illustrator CS3 and have received files that are from Illustrator CC.  CS3 cannot open them but, so far, I've found that I can place the file as artwork in InDesign CS6, export that to a PDF then open the PDF in Illustrator CS3.

It's awesome that we can run and use older versions of Affinity in perpetuity, but as time goes on there are going to be more limitations on what it can accept from others.

For me, the main benefit of being able to run older versions are for the times when you might need to open a file in the original app that created it.  I would guess the Affinity 2 will be able to open Affinity 1 files without a problem, but how long will they maintain backwards compatibility?  Maybe Affinity 7 will drop support for 1.  And, if you have some v1 files lingering about, at least you would still be able to open them in Affinity v1 (or v2 or v6) if needed.  At any rate, always good to have options.

I think it would be handy if each new version of Affinity had the option to downgrade the file type to an older version so those not looking to upgrade can still use files.

Yes.  Also useful if you have older machines that might not be able to run v2.  As I recall, the Affinity v1 apps for Mac require 10.9 minimum.  I have a MacBook Pro that maxes out at 10.11.  I would bet that Affinity v2 may not be compatible with an OS that old.  Maybe it will, but I'm guessing probably not.  It would be handy to be able to save files from v2 into v1 (and not just via PDF export) so that, should I need to, I could open them on that older machine.

And even if Affinity v2 could run under 10.11, I'm guessing it might be so slow on that older machine that I'd want to stick with v1 anyway.

Adobe has this feature and it's very handy

Even still, it's lacking.  It would be nice to be able to downsave from CS6 to CS3 but (at least in the case of InDesign) that can't be done.  You can save to IDML which you can open in InDesign CS4 then from CS4 you can save it into a format CS3 can open.  But that only works if you have CS4.