You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

9 minutes ago, maxegb said:

let me see if i got it right. Assuming i purchase v2 of a program (well, photo, in this particular instance), i can load the old .afphoto files into it, but i cannot do the opposite. so, in theory is possible to uninstall the 1.10 and use  the 2.0 onward, even if i may have to rework on a project, say , from last year. Correct?

In theory yes but since this will be the first version of V2 you'll probably want to keep V1 installed until it (V2) has proven itself to be able to handle all the old V1 files customers have created - probably wait until V2.1 or V2.2 if you can, and when opening an old V1 file do a save as to a new file just to be sure it saves correctly.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Correct.

However if you can spare the hard drive space you might be best served by keeping version 1.x.x around in case you need to work with, oh let us say, me who only has version 1.x.x and has no plans for upgrading to version 2.

good point. If i wasn't a selfish,misanthropic ba***rd i would most definitely do that ;-) 

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

In theory yes but since this will be the first version of V2 you'll probably want to keep V1 installed until it (V2) has proven itself to be able to handle all the old V1 files customers have created - probably wait until V2.1 or V2.2 if you can, and when opening an old V1 file do a save as to a new file just to be sure it saves correctly.

what i really want to do is slightly different. Unless Serif had the most incredibly successful 2.0 beta program without a single leak (with all due respect, i don't think it is possible. people simply talk ), i am reasonably sure that a bugfix version will be shortly available after launch. i am not going to bother with 2.0 for at least 30 days, if not more. Let early adopters do the beta testing and report back.

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes. Because V2 will be optional upgrades (purchases), they are independent installs parallel to your V1 suite and so will not affect your existing applications. You can have both installed or just one 

Just out of curiosity (although we'll find out soon), will the files open with both versions/branches? Rather, I assume that a file from the 1.x branch could be opened in the 2.x branch, but probably not the other way around. Running two branches at the same time could thus be tricky, as the user could inadvertently make data files inaccessible.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, saikat said:

When is the release date?

You will find out more on the 9th of November 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I assume that a file from the 1.x branch could be opened in the 2.x branch, but probably not the other way around.

That's correct, and important to recognise if anything in your workflow continues to need V1 files to remain as such

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I have a solid feeling this is the "something big" that is coming:

1449335458_affinitybigupgrade.png.83bf46694ca62031667a747683fb1015.png

If that feeling is precise, that would be absolutely amazing, and a game changer for a lot of people. The integration within the Affinity Suite would be simply unparalleled, and that would open a whole new world of possibilities.

Just imagine working with vector shapes in AD, and being able to access the full set of pixel tools of AP to paint some textures or add some images. All of this with just a single click and without "leaving" the Affinity Suite.

Or Imagine being able to put specific tools from the AP tool set into the AD toolbar (or the other way around). This would add a level of customization that is even hard to imagine 🙃

This would also eliminate a lot of redundancy present in the Suite right now. I think the best example of this is the Pixel Persona, which is like a "little version" of AP inside AD. I think this was a cool idea in its time, but it also brings a lot of issues; in the use of brushes, shortcuts and other things...

12 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

You will find out more on the 9th of November 

I presume there'll be a beta period then? I'm trying to remember back to how the Photo/Publisher releases worked, but my brain is coming up blank...

3 minutes ago, rsim said:

I'm trying to remember back to how the Photo/Publisher releases worked, but my brain is coming up blank...

There was a Public Beta for Publisher which I joined. This was before Publisher was released for sale. I think it was organized through this forum with an open invitation for interested people to try it out.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

AF Photo V2.0

i just hope for tillable procedural filters with better fidelity (they are kind of blurry/mushy looking).

Better fx layers (glow fx is kind of worst than PS, dont know if its need more samples or what but glow gradient looks more fine in PS and better following shape on bezier and circle objects).

Better font engine smaller font looks blurry (kind of broken too) missing crispness, blend options dont help much.

dont need another new video editing software which is worst then others, there is Davinci Resolve, Vegas which is at last 2 times a year on HumbleBundle for 25-30 euros sale, and free Blender with video editing capability and compositor and more free softwares which i didnt tried like Shortcut or Openshot...

what i would like to see is new node based compositing software on the market, there isnt much choices. (Nuke/Natron)

3D texture painting would be also good but substance isnt that expensive (steam sale, perpetual), 3D Coat textura (cheaper) also there is ArmorPaint for 20 euros and for blender Fluent Materializer for 35 USD but they are based more on a texture projection/stamping workflow, substance is more procedural.

Core i7 4770 - AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 SP1 / Windows 10 x64) - https://danielmoravek.com

• Staff
1 minute ago, Tourmaline said:

Will v2 update v1 or will it be a seperate install all along?

It will be an optional separate install

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

47 minutes ago, Fernan said:

Just imagine working with vector shapes in AD, and being able to access the full set of pixel tools of AP to paint some textures or add some images. All of this with just a single click and without "leaving" the Affinity Suite.

You can do that already in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm looking forward to the new releases. I remember the Affinity apps being released at the perfect time for me due to the changes to the Adobe licences.

Looking at what has been written, the idea that you cannot interchange files between V2 and V1 must mean that there is something fundamental happening to the software that is way above adding additional functionality, but something that could not have been built on top of the existing software. To me that sounds like, not just a upgrade but new software entirely. Maybe a new concept? Looking at the video I would guess at 3D or animation.

Ok. I know...9th November

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can do that already in Publisher.

Oh, really? I didn't know that, because I do not use or own Publisher. 😅

Nonetheless it would be great to be able to just open one and the same program (Affinity Suite) to be able to work this way.

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Your next purchase (which will be an update to our software) is in no way restricted by any previous purchases, so yes. It's a whole new purchase if you choose, or not if you don't want to 

@Patrick Connor, If V2 is purchased, will the license allow the download/installation of V1?

To explain why I'm asking.  I've recently been asked to do some publishing work for a charity and need some appropriate software.  I trialled Affinity suite 1.10 which looked great, but learning that 'something big' is coming on 9th, I haven't committed yet as it may make sense to buy V2.0.  However, I'll be doing this work on an aged PC that could just about cope with V1.10.  If V2.0 turns out to be more demanding, it might be that PC performance may force me to use V1.10.

Thanks 🙂

5 minutes ago, Fernan said:

Oh, really? I didn't know that, because I do not use or own Publisher. 😅

Nonetheless it would be great to be able to just open one and the same program (Affinity Suite) to be able to work this way.

You can 'sort of' do that with only AD & AP. FILE - EDIT IN ????? will open the other program and transfer the file to it. When you want to go back then repeat the FILE - EDIT IN ???? and it transfers back.

25 minutes ago, Dave Foster said:

Looking at what has been written, the idea that you cannot interchange files between V2 and V1 must mean that there is something fundamental happening to the software that is way above adding additional functionality, but something that could not have been built on top of the existing software. To me that sounds like, not just a upgrade but new software entirely.

Not necessarily. For example, I have On1 Photo Raw 2022. On1 Photo Raw 2023 can read and work with files from On1 2022 and previous years but the older years cannot open files from the 2023 version. Same thing with Lightroom. 

Edited by rhmb

1 hour ago, Fernan said:

Years ago (decades actually) I used an application called Canvas from Deneba. It was good for Photos, Vectors and Page layout. They eventually stopped making it for Mac so I had to stop using it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 minutes ago, Dave Foster said:

Looking at what has been written, the idea that you cannot interchange files between V2 and V1 must mean that there is something fundamental happening to the software that is way above adding additional functionality, but something that could not have been built on top of the existing software.

We already have seen this lack of forward compatibility in several updates to V1, so for instance many files created in v1.10.x cannot be opened in earlier versions because the file created in the later version included some feature not supported in the earlier one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

I wonder what is different, in this image, to what we have now.

image.png.8154f8dad64b57a9a09992f2aec43ac8.png

(Edit: I see Walt already pointed to the existing integration).

Paolo

I'm just guessing, but... Your image shows the Affinity Publisher's Studiolink with limited feature set of ADesigner and APhoto. But on the first picture it seems, you just can work on a single document in all full featured apps...

Just now, Tommy Turtle said:

Will v2 be available to download from 9th or is just an announcement and they will be available at some point after?

If it hasn't been secretly beta'ed already then maybe this may be beta version we purchase at a good discount price. As it is a stand alone new install we will still have ver 1 to work with if a bug in ver 2 causes an issue.

It has been said that every version of windows is a beta version based on the number of bug fixes that follow the release!