You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

18 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

fixed many of the long standing issues

Personally, I'm curious, and upgrading to version 2 would be a direct fit for this, if they've made some major change in the way work files are understood and used. The current concept, which causes frequent file corruption and data loss (especially located externally, which is a clear trend these days), does not allow sharing for work in a collective, and the absolutely alarming enormous size of files (only the necessary data should be stored in the file, not some a work-in-progress intermediate product, which may speed up the work, but completely complicates storage, sharing and backup), is definitely not optimal.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, PaoloT said:

Aren't they integrated enough? You can even open one of the apps inside another of the apps. And the file format is the same for all of them.

The integration can be even better if they:

1. make Preferences common for all 3 apps with separate sections for apps specific preferences;
  2. if you can drag & drop objects between apps;
  3. allow common swatches, object styles, text styles...

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I've been using Affinity since the first beta (believe that is 8/9 years ago).
And I am really excited about the announcement next week. Wishes and speculations are there of course. But as steady and loaded with features the software was on day one. I think this won't disappoint.

I only made the mistake to purchase it through the AppStore when it was release. Wondering if upgrading and moving to the affinity store will be possible.
For the rest, control the nerves and wait till until the ninth.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Vormspraak said:

Wondering if upgrading and moving to the affinity store will be possible.

Your next purchase (which will be an update to our software) is in no way restricted by any previous purchases, so yes. It's a whole new purchase if you choose, or not if you don't want to 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor

I do not know you realized, but you just gave away (reading between te lines) that it is the Affinity Suite. By the way, I am happy to buy brand new licences again. We had free updates for much too long.

Affinity  always worked out for me despite some shortcomings. It let me do things which otherwise should be impossible for me. So whatever Serif will come up with, I will not be disappointed.

I am looking forward to 9 November! I want to thank the whole Serif team for an excellent work they did and still do!

Chris

38 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

We had free upgrades for much too long.

It's a shame that the correct terms are not consistently used here - many uninformed users are unnecessarily confused by this. Only the "update" (version 1.x to 1.y) was free. Upgrade to version 2.x will be paid.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 hours ago, Dangerous said:

I zoom with my mouse wheel, a quick & simple setting!

Magic Trackpad near the left hand.

Left hand on keyboard shortcuts and escape on the left side of the keyboard. Right hand on the Magic Mouse.

Near the left sits the Magic Trackpad for zooming. Near the right thumb sits the enter key for OKing

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Your next purchase (which will be an update to our software) is in no way restricted by any previous purchases, so yes. It's a whole new purchase if you choose, or not if you don't want to 

Will 1.9 suite still work after purchasing 2.0?

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Will 1.9 suite still work after purchasing 2.0?

Yes. Because V2 will be optional upgrades (purchases), they are independent installs parallel to your V1 suite and so will not affect your existing applications. You can have both installed or just one 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

22 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

By the way, I got 5 or 6 years of free updates in the V1.0 versions, I do not mind if I have to pay full price again. I like the Affinity suit so much and I am relying on it. For me it is far more important that Affinity's future is secured.

I got zero free updates

2 hours ago, chrisb123 said:

I got zero free updates

But you benefitted from those updates because they are already included in the version you bought. You are no worse (or better) off, as far as the version(s) of the software you have now is concerned, than those people who purchased it years ago and had to wait for the updates. (Or, to put it another way, you do have the updates, but they were included when you purchased the software, compared to when it was first sold.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

51 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes. Because V2 will be optional upgrades (purchases), they are independent installs parallel to your V1 suite and so will not affect your existing applications. You can have both installed or just one 

Will v2 use the same ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity {Designer/Photo/Publisher} preferences, assets, brushes, etc as v1, or will it have a separate storage location? Just wondering about potential collisions (or opportunities to share prefs, assets, etc) between versions?

Also, (and I know this is a long shot) any word on whether v2 will fully support macOS Ventura when launched? Pretty much every other app I use is now compatible with Ventura, and it would be nice to be able to confidently upgrade my OS when I upgrade to v2.

• Staff
Just now, Bryan Rieger said:

or will it have a separate storage location?

Yes, a separate storage location (with an auto-import option on first run)

1 minute ago, Bryan Rieger said:

whether v2 will fully support macOS Ventura when launched

I'm starting to tread on marketing toes here but {whispers} yes

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Was looking for a thread about the latest promo in the News Forum - but here it is..

What I'm keen to know is:

- am I going to have to relearn certain functions?

- will I be able to continue using the latest 1.X version on my iPad?

Happy to pay again for a newer version with more features, but maybe not so soon after just buying it? Hopefully the price will remain the same - in any case I doubt I'll be forking out for new design software any time soon anyway because money (or lack of)

• Staff
30 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

What I'm keen to know is:

- am I going to have to relearn certain functions?

No, mostly not

30 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

- will I be able to continue using the latest 1.X version on my iPad?

Yes, as I said above 

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

But your V2 files will not load back into V1 as it doesn't understand the new functionality so cannot load the files

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Thanks Patrick - asking a repeat question just seemed easier than reading through 5 pages of comments to see if the question had already been addressed (so laziness on my part)

Just asking because iPadOS is weird and I was concerned that it might auto-update me and then ask me to pay again

Looking forward to a newer, slicker experience anyway (hopefully) and perhaps a good piece of software that really competes with Adobe for a fairer price 👍 (which it does already)

The ability to switch between pixel and vector mode as well as between Photo and Designer easily is the most appealing thing about Affinity for me, and I hope you retain that functionality

34 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

You paid 50 bucks for a software that you can use it as long as you like without any additional cost … yeah, sounds a lot like Adobe …

When I heard Affinity Photo, it was years ago and it just for my luck was in -50% sale. It was no brainer to pict it up for 25 € price tag.

Then when Affinity Designer was released, I waited some time and it came as well in sale for -50% and I picked it up. It is my least used Affinity app, as I prefer for many things in Inkscape.

Then when Affinity Publisher was released, again picked up in -50% sale. It is great when you need to do in horry some PDF's, but many ways I still prefer Scribus for layout.

But what I dislike overall in almost all PDF layout apps, is that they are not fully compatible with all features that Adobe push to PDF format. Like example interactive PDF creation is severely lacking various levels across alternatives to Adobe Acrobat.

Anyways, I am going to upgrade all Affinity apps to v2.0 ASAP, just to show more support for Affinity, as I have benefitted so much using their software.

And almost what ever they are going to release (or just announce) on 9th for new.... I likely get it.

The Teaser video was very well made. Exactly what such should be about.

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

But your V2 files will not load back into V1 as it doesn't understand the new functionality so cannot load the files

let me see if i got it right. Assuming i purchase v2 of a program (well, photo, in this particular instance), i can load the old .afphoto files into it, but i cannot do the opposite. so, in theory is possible to uninstall the 1.10 and use  the 2.0 onward, even if i may have to rework on a project, say , from last year. Correct?

2 minutes ago, maxegb said:

Correct?

Correct.

However if you can spare the hard drive space you might be best served by keeping version 1.x.x around in case you need to work with, oh let us say, me who only has version 1.x.x and has no plans for upgrading to version 2.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

But you benefitted from those updates because they are already included in the version you bought. You are no worse (or better) off, as far as the version(s) of the software you have now is concerned, than those people who purchased it years ago and had to wait for the updates. (Or, to put it another way, you do have the updates, but they were included when you purchased the software, compared to when it was first sold.)

If the application was purchased in the Affinity Store, then it is possible to start with the installation of the first released version, and then go through the process of all free updates within one hour - such an accelerated journey through the time of version 1.x 🙂