You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So excited! Affinity is awesome, and a new version would be amazing.

However, I hope they fix the bugs. Version 1.10 introduced bugs which destroyed my workflow and they've been unaddressed since Sep2021. Hopefully this new version has these bugs fixed.

11 minutes ago, AdrianB said:

It's been a year of almost radio silence and no updates

Only 7.5 months :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if this 2.0 version will be considered as a new product, hence we'll have to pay for new run of 2.xx triplet ?

Not that it matters much to me, just want to know where this is going. Sounds like the scripts are in the game now and I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

• Staff
Just now, Balt said:

Does anyone know if this 2.0 version will be considered as a new product, hence we'll have to pay for new run of 2.xx triplet ?

Yes when V2 arrives they will be optional and require a new purchase if you want to own a license.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Balt said:

Out of interest, what is triplet? Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, I see: It's shorthand for the 3 Affinity apps.

3 minutes ago, Balt said:

Hi guys,

Not that it matters much to me, just want to know where this is going. Sounds like the scripts are in the game now and I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

Yes, you will have to pay for the next major version somehow, I think they made that public a long time ago. (And it's fine as long as they don't go subscription, I'm more than happy to pay, their prices are a steal anyway compared to that other company).

(Edit: Oh I see Patrick was faster with an official answer.)

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes when V2 arrives they will be optional and require a new purchase if you want to own a license.

Great. Thanks for the information.
Do you know if there will be specific prices for upgrades / full new licence ?
(for me to relay the information. The news is making some hype around me)

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Balt said:

Do you know if there will be specific prices for upgrades / full new licence ?

I am sorry I cannot say, but that will become clear next week

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, Patrick Connor said:

I am sorry I cannot say, but that will become clear next week

I heard rumours, that the price will be calculated from your reputation score here on the forums, which means e.g. @walt.farrell gets (loads of) money from Serif. :D

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

29 minutes ago, Balt said:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

16 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

March 8 2022 for Windows and Mac, March 14 for iPad

Yeah, that is the release from the January beta I was referring to (1.10.5), but AFAIK that was only a small bugfix and nothing compared to the previously steady flow of new betas and releases of 1.x with improved features and more, all that basically stopped in November last years. Since then it's all been work towards 2.0 I assume (and I'm very happy about that!). 

The speculation (and wishful thinking) on social media is all over the place. Many folks seem to be expecting that Serif is about to release a video editor, or motion graphics app, or an animation app, or a 3D app/add-on, or an Android or Linux version, or a creative, generative AI tool, or a UI/UX design/prototyping app, or a web design/publishing app, a PDF editor/Acrobat replacement, or a Lightroom replacement, or the long the rumoured DAM.

Honestly, I'd be super happy if Serif simply evolved their existing applications and ideas (along with finally releasing Publisher for iPad), fixed many of the long standing issues (UI/UX, graphics driver issues, acquire image bugs, SVG export, etc.) and feature requests (RTL language support, footnotes, tagged/accessible PDF support, epub export, vector blend/distort, improved brush management, variable font support, etc.), ensured compatibility with the latest OS updates, and then threw in a some magic sprinkles in terms of new workflows, extensions, partnerships (ahem, Astute Graphics)—along with a few exciting new possibilities.

I would love to see the Affinity v2.x release(s) finally see Serif “setting defining the new industry standard in the world of design[1]”.

[1] This strap-line has previously been used by Serif in the marketing of their Affinity products.

16 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

, partnerships (ahem, Astute Graphics)

While Astute Graphics has some cool things - their entire existence is built on the laziness and inability by Adobe to innovate for themselves and results in a subscription to get those features. Why not just ask Serif to build them into Designer?