You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

No, version 2 of the Affinity suite will be a one off purchase (perpetual license) and will not be sold as a subscription service (monthly or otherwise)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, joe_l said:

The main requirement to be on the payroll at Serif is, to have a cat or at least a dog, who likes cats. 😂

I see I might not be a good fit, since I'm an otter kind of person.

image.png.60e467d8c18a0be37f68f870cb8d3b95.png

Best regards!

• Staff
22 hours ago, Andreas Scherer said:

What about the purchase code we received for the recent survey? How long will it be valid? No merch (T's, workbooks) to buy at this time! 😉

The T&C in the email apparently said the end of August, sorry

image.png.a1b4b56d1deb8d08d424d1bc7c91ee9d.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 9/21/2022 at 4:07 AM, 913 said:

I don't think  ، shape builder is much necessary , but one thing which I think is necessary is making export industry standards. 

When affinity make this possible for designer  , then every graphic designer will move forward toward affinity softwares ,

I am not talking g about the svg , pdf , ai files , I am talking about the EPS file. , Which is nowadays Industry standard software all our the world . Every one demanding EPS .Every stock website demanding EPS ,. So 

I think , making EPS industry stands should be first and main goal of affinity team ,. 

Funny how you only seem to think about your own industry, which looks like it's print, and act like you're talking for every designer out there in the world.

Affinity isn't only used for print. It's also heavily used for example in the video-, animation- and game industries. By many motion graphic designers, webdesigners, game graphic designers, UI/UX/interaction designers, animation artists, illustrators etc. etc.

EPS might be a standard used a lot for print, but it's definitely not the only standard all over the world when it comes to software for these jobs for example and far from needed. I'm using a lot of tools for both video, internetwork, games and animations and never needed to use any EPS as output from Affinity. In many cases in my case for instance SVG became a real standard to import files in many software programs for vector work for instance. Not EPS. Just to give an example.

Not saying at all that EPS isn't important, I understand it is for certain industries, but try to keep your mind open to the rest of the professional world of graphics professionals out there and please try not to speak for others. It's always pretty difficult to speak 'for all' as that's a pretty huge group. Your industry is not the only industry.

11 hours ago, MmmMaarten said:

Funny how you only seem to think about your own industry, which looks like it's print, and act like you're talking for every designer out there in the world.

Affinity isn't only used for print. It's also heavily used for example in the video-, animation- and game industries. By many motion graphic designers, webdesigners, game graphic designers, UI/UX/interaction designers, animation artists, illustrators etc. etc.

EPS might be a standard used a lot for print, but it's definitely not the only standard all over the world when it comes to software for these jobs for example and far from needed. I'm using a lot of tools for both video, internetwork, games and animations and never needed to use any EPS as output from Affinity. In many cases in my case for instance SVG became a real standard to import files in many software programs for vector work for instance. Not EPS. Just to give an example.

Not saying at all that EPS isn't important, I understand it is for certain industries, but try to keep your mind open to the rest of the professional world of graphics professionals out there and please try not to speak for others. It's always pretty difficult to speak 'for all' as that's a pretty huge group. Your industry is not the only industry.

This is forum where we can post everything which we want in Designer V2 , I posted what I like to have in Future version and I posted , and you can post what you like to have in V2 , 

I don't know for what purposes you use designer , you know ?  , post it here

- vectorizing pictures

- vector patterns (actually pixel patterns)

- duplicate along path

I would like to see this function in a "container"

Object Duplicate > numbers of copies or length between each copy / start / end 

- path

- object

- gradient between curves

- deformers

- noise for gradient (actually only one limited noise)

- spiral tool

- perspective grids with vanishing point

- measurement tool

- more fields when you do a dotted line (only 4 when sometimes you need 6). I have to use the Appearance panel.

- 3D tool (extrusion)

but the most important :

- new cat objects

The main reason I bought the app was to come here and listen - or, I guess, read - all the harping. Personally, since V2 seems to be on it's way, I want to hijack the thread and turn it into the V3 thread. Will V3 be forthcoming? What advancements can we expect, and when will V3 be released? Imminently? Beginning of the year? Right after V2? Concurrently? Why cant company people answer these questions? Every other software companies does. Will V3 run on Linux? Will V3 have everything I want, or will I have t suffer through the demands of what others want for V3? Why is it taking so long?

😇

Edited to add apologies for the grammar and spelling and ptypos, but it was early in my part of the world, I hadn't had my coffee, and furthermore, I just plain don't feel like doing proper edits.

4 hours ago, Twolane said:

The main reason I bought the app was to come here and listen - or, I guess, read - all the harping. Personally, since V2 seems to be on it's way, I want to hijack the thread and turn it into the V3 thread. Will V3 be forthcoming? What advancements can we expect, and when will V3 be released? Imminently? Beginning of the year? Right after V2? Concurrently? Why cant company people answer these questions? Every other software companies does. Will V3 run on Linux? Will V3 have everything I want, or will I have t suffer through the demands of what others want for V3? Why is it taking so long?

😇

Edited to add apologies for the grammar and spelling and ptypos, but it was early in my part of the world, I hadn't had my coffee, and furthermore, I just plain don't feel like doing proper edits.

LOL Whats funny is the company that owns Clip Studio Paint did this. After 10 years they announced V2.0 and 3.0..LOL It was and still is kind of confusing.

1 hour ago, dsnaps12 said:

LOL Whats funny is the company that owns Clip Studio Paint did this. After 10 years they announced V2.0 and 3.0..LOL It was and still is kind of confusing.

Yep LOL. Their English Twitter acct is still being hounded on every post. CSP Jpn still has replies locked out some time after the announcement. Granted, it's Twitter. Modern day witch trials, accused of consorting with the Capitalistic Devil.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

I would currently prefer a software similar to canva.com perhaps called "affinity network?" that allows simple video editing all focused on social networks and social media. that allows you to work in groups when I say similar to canvas that has through addons qr code generator can add gif content planner, which is linked to the drive or the cloud that has free audio bank etc ... we all know that sooner or later adobe buy canvas would be good that already serif is positioned in the market before that happens. :D

i usually use the canva+affinity combo every day i usually use canva to animate flayers for my clients also when i want to remove the backgrounds to a video or an image quickly or to download something from their paid image bank. if affinity would charge a subcription for all that i could afford it, canva for example for 85$ a year i can share the account with 5 other people... in the end we end up paying 17$ each for a whole year which would translate to 1,5$ a month for all the benefits it gives us...

i.e. a multiplatform app that allows me to use all my creative apps in a single one, that would be a real linkstudio.

image.png.7ec5d801faea4e0af4f01a9e59979a9d.png

Hmm, I appreciate the vision going on here but personally, I'd rather see Publisher become better and better than the suite becoming more diversified (or even just improved).

The thing to note here would be that my personal workflow hinges on the Publisher part more than anything else, so bias alert!

What's objectively true is that in the motion graphics field, some really good alternatives to Adobe that are not subsriptions (or even free) already exist (contrary to print software).

But yes – it's certainly exciting to to brainstorm about what might still be in store.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to Serif deciding what will and what won't happen. 

Affinity products are great. The best thing for me is the workflow you can have and that the adobe products lack badly for me. 

Affinity is young and things will come in time.

The tools that are not present in designer I can find them in other software that is free. Incscape for image trace and edit shape. And copy paste is all you need betwean the programmes. For creating patterns you can use the Cavlary app for animations that is more or less free. 

The tools are usualy only that powerfull as the person that uses it. If you need a hammer and dont have one, use a wrench insted. How many cars would a mechanic fix if he complained over every russted bolt and wait for the car industrie to start makeing them in stainless so that the problem would be solved.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

3 minutes ago, Rondem said:

Affinity products are great. ...

Keep in mind that those who love software the most are often the biggest complainers.  It is ironically a compliment.  They are just heavily invested and want the best outcomes.  Those that truly don't like it are those that usually just silently disappear.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:12 AM, GDPR-751748 said:

Edit: this last feature could also be implemented in v1; it would help any workflow

Even if Serif were to provide some bug fixes for V1 after they release V2, it's extremely unlikely they would release any new features for it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/3/2022 at 11:32 AM, walt.farrell said:

Even if Serif were to provide some bug fixes for V1 after they release V2, it's extremely unlikely they would release any new features for it.

I wouldn't expect Serif to add any new features to the v1 software, but it would be nice, for those who choose to stick with v1, that as many as possible of the long standing bugs were fixed.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 10/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, GDPR-751748 said:

What are the secrets you know Walt that we don't 😊👀 ?

How software development usually works, perhaps :) 

Software versions move forward, and the old version is seldom enhanced once the new version is released. Companies may have the resources to fix bugs in older software versions for some period of time, but new features generally are available only in the current version of the software.

And I'll guess that it will work this same way with the Affinity applications. I doubt the team at Serif is big enough for them to develop new features for both V2 and V1, including all the testing and documentation work.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I doubt the team at Serif is big enough for them to develop new features for both V2 and V1, including all the testing and documentation work.

Indeed.

Why would any company add new features to V1 when the entire marketing/revenue aim is to get you to upgrade to V2 to get the new features

Critical (new) bug fixes for V1 - Yes

Minor bug fixes for V1 - Maybe (but very unlikely)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, GDPR-751748 said:

We can discuss this of course but I don't consider common shared directories as a new feature. It's such a rational feature that I'm surprised it wasn't already implemented when Serif imagined linking the 3 apps (or parts of them).

Is it implemented today in V1?

No. Therefore it would be a new feature, if it is implemented.

-- Walt
PC:

On 10/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, GDPR-751748 said:

Why reject the idea of a 1.11 version that would implement some interesting features for the use of the 3 v1 apps.

I'm not rejecting that, but this entire thread is about V2 wishes. And we seemed to be getting into whether V1 would be improved after V2, whenever that might be. That's what I'm talking about now.

-- Walt
PC:

- I need a new computer.

- Wait, new processors will be arrive

- Ok, I'm waiting…

Several months later

- I really need a new computer

- Wait again because next year, it will be better !

- Ok I'm waiting

--------------------------------------

- We need to launch affinity 2.0

- Wait, I will add another new tool/function

- Ok, we're waiting

Several months later

- We really need to launch affinity 2.0

- Wait because next year, there will be a bunch of new tools/functions

- Ok, we're waiting

---------------------------------------

Conclusion : I prefer to see Affinity 2.0 now with 2 or 3 new tools/functions rather waiting one year with 5 new tools/functions.

Affinity 1 has been updated step by step. A lot of things have been done between AD 1.2 and AD 1.10.

I know that consumers will say "I will buy 2.0 only if new features are significant" but you must reassure them telling that a lot of things will arrive next months.