You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Lets hope, we will find  most of our wishes in V2!

Be that in 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5... you get the idea. :P

Best regards!

59 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Don't worry, I can live with that. Even without some of these features, I am sure V2 will be an interesting release.

Kind Regards,

Chris

I would seriously pay for V2 just to get some of the major bugs fixed.  Especially those with no work arounds like the broken live filters.

• Staff
22 hours ago, 913 said:

We are talking here 😁 about v2 for 7,8 days . I think moderator should now tell  at least one new feature or tool of v2 of Affinity designer

Version 2 of Affinity Designer will load Affinity version 2 files as well as load Affinity version one files. 😜

Sorry I couldn't resist 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

20 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Version 2 of Affinity Designer will load Affinity version 2 files as well as load Affinity version one files. 😜

Can you confirm the same for Photo and Publisher, respectively? :D

Best regards!

• Staff
13 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Can you confirm the same for Photo and Publisher, respectively? :D

Spoilers!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It must be exciting for all of you after a massive 9 long years of waiting! I wonder if you will get some of the features that the rest of us have had for over 20 years??

10 Reasons Why Strategic Plans Fail
Having a plan simply for plans sake - Not understanding the environment or focusing on results - Partial commitment - Not having the right people involved - Writing the plan and putting it on the shelf - Unwillingness or inability to change - Having the wrong people in leadership positions - No accountability or follow through - Unrealistic goals or lack of focus and resources.

Get it?

2 hours ago, Winsome said:

It must be exciting for all of you after a massive 9 long years of waiting! I wonder if you will get some of the features that the rest of us have had for over 20 years??

Who knows? And you are here because…
Best regads!

• Staff
5 hours ago, 913 said:

That's a feature ,hmmmmmm🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔  no , that's not feature , 

No you are right it's not. It's a difference between versions, presented as a leaked feature for comic effect

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Interesting discussion this, especially about whether their business model is sustainable.

It appears to be perfectly sustainable to me without any need to even consider subscription or charging for updates between major versions. The market out there for this price level of product is vast, (potentially bigger than for Adobe simply because it is lower cost).

I doubt they are running out of potential customers, or anywhere close. And each time they add more features or make the apps more powerful, that opens up another raft of potential customers.

Just look at how often new forum members appear, and remember, like with other apps, the large majority of users will never register for the forum.

Going by Serif's last submitted accounts, they are a very healthy, bouncy little company! 

And so they should be.  They have a good, solid history behind them.

I and my piggy bank are definitely looking forward to V2 without complaint.

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

16 hours ago, CC Hogan said:

[...] The market out there for this price level of product is vast [...]

True! I hadn't looked at it that way, which possibly goes to show I'm not very business-savvy.

I was frankly a bit worried about the sustainability of their pricing and still am not quite sure about that. I got the whole suite last year at a ridiculous discount (COVID special).

It now appears that I may be making the full switch, including unsubscribing from A****, sometime in October.

• Staff
16 hours ago, CC Hogan said:

....The market out there for this price level of product is vast,....

Quite right.

To others here....worry not, Serif are OK, thank you all for your concern. Those who want to throw more money at us (for V2) will have to wait a little longer, but new Version 1 customers are always finding us.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

How long will it be valid?

In the T&C I think it said a few weeks. I am not sure it is still valid ????  @Adam help!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 hours ago, CC Hogan said:

Interesting discussion this, especially about whether their business model is sustainable.

It appears to be perfectly sustainable to me without any need to even consider subscription or charging for updates between major versions. The market out there for this price level of product is vast, (potentially bigger than for Adobe simply because it is lower cost).

I doubt they are running out of potential customers, or anywhere close. And each time they add more features or make the apps more powerful, that opens up another raft of potential customers.

Just look at how often new forum members appear, and remember, like with other apps, the large majority of users will never register for the forum.

Going by Serif's last submitted accounts, they are a very healthy, bouncy little company! 

And so they should be.  They have a good, solid history behind them.

I and my piggy bank are definitely looking forward to V2 without complaint.

Yep. Also, I might not have been around Serif for long since I bought Photo back in 2017, but for a company that has been around since the 80s they must be doing something right. I had no clue who they were before Affinity, so their new business plan seems to be working just fine. Just for some anecdotal experiences, as an avid YouTube watcher I have noticed that Affinity has gotten a fair share of attention to the point where more and more channels are discussing and producing Affinity content, which to me is a sign of a healthy community.

I don't think we have much to worry about. The future is looking bright. :)

7 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Yep. Also, I might not have been around Serif for long since I bought Photo back in 2017, but for a company that has been around since the 80s they must be doing something right. I had no clue who they were before Affinity, so their new business plan seems to be working just fine. Just for some anecdotal experiences, as an avid YouTube watcher I have noticed that Affinity has gotten a fair share of attention to the point where more and more channels are discussing and producing Affinity content, which to me is a sign of a healthy community.

I don't think we have much to worry about. The future is looking bright. :)

None of that is reasoning for how healthy a company is at present time.  Lot's of successful companies fail at some point.  Also, nobody is actually predicting complete collapse.  We don't have to see the internal books to know that a free product is not sustainable business model forever.  Note, that sustainable doesn't have to imply the company no longer exists, but it can no longer maintain the momentum it once had.  When affinity introduced itself it jumped into the market with some exciting innovations.  What everyone wants is to see that same level of momentum to return.  

22 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Quite right.

To others here....worry not, Serif are OK, thank you all for your concern. Those who want to throw more money at us (for V2) will have to wait a little longer, but new Version 1 customers are always finding us.

It sounds like there is a plan. Take care.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

20 minutes ago, CM0 said:

None of that is reasoning for how healthy a company is at present time.  Lot's of successful companies fail at some point.  Also, nobody is actually predicting complete collapse.  We don't have to see the internal books to know that a free product is not sustainable business model forever.  Note, that sustainable doesn't have to imply the company no longer exists, but it can no longer maintain the momentum it once had.  When affinity introduced itself it jumped into the market with some exciting innovations.  What everyone wants is to see that same level of momentum to return.  

Having a company that lasts decades suggests stability to endure both good and bad times. Serif themselves have also said that they are doing fine and I have little reason to distrust them on that.

Affinity is not free though? It's easy to be an armchair economist while not making any of the business decisions nor have an overview of their books. Neither of us have any idea how well they are actually doing, but to say that they are making a free product is just plain false.

Granted these are just Canadian Dollars but their store lists just under a thousand dollars worth of "add-ons". So much for a company having no source of revenue.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

53 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Having a company that lasts decades suggests stability to endure both good and bad times. Serif themselves have also said that they are doing fine and I have little reason to distrust them on that.

Affinity is not free though? It's easy to be an armchair economist while not making any of the business decisions nor have an overview of their books. Neither of us have any idea how well they are actually doing, but to say that they are making a free product is just plain false.

I've been around a while and worked in the industry on products that were around for decades and then disappeared.  It happens.  And again, that is not even a prediction I'm making.

Yes, a product you pay a very small fee once in almost decade when compared to other industry products that charge almost the same per month is essentially free in relative comparison.  Certainly Affinity has been far more efficient with their resources to deliver such great products, but there are limitations.  Nonetheless, it is mostly irrelevant because essentially most of the community is saying they are willing to pay something more than the current nothing to regain some more momentum in development.