You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, CM0 said:

We are.  Same process.

Sorry, I'm still confused! Firstly you talked about software having "at least monthly releases". Then, when I said that I didn't know of any other apps. that were updated that often, you mentioned browsers and phone apps that update automatically. The Affinity software isn't a web browser or phone app, but you seem to be suggesting that it should be updated in the same way as apps on a phone. As N.P.M. pointed out, there have been around 36 updates in about six years, that is actually a lot more that most other PC software! I'm not sure why you compare Affinity with web browsers and phone apps, rather than with other similar, software, then say it's the "same process". I can't see how a company developing a suite of three integrated pieces of software, for three operating systems, can be expected to update it all as frequently as a phone app. Yet you say they are the same thing!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

9 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I can't see how a company developing a suite of three integrated pieces of software, for three operating systems, can be expected to update it all as frequently as a phone app. Yet you say they are the same thing!

Browsers are updated daily and across multiple operating systems and platforms.  You can get a daily build of chrome which is called canary.

I'm simply referencing models that are leading the industry in Agile development.  It doesn't matter what they are building.

6 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

You are simply diverting from the topic to make it clear that you are impatient and want a version 2 and you want it right now.

No, I'm describing a software development process.  If customers are not in the loop of the process, then it is not an Agile process.  There are many companies and projects that will claim to do agile because managers like industry buzz words, but in practice they are not actually doing agile.

1 hour ago, CM0 said:

Browsers are updated daily and across multiple operating systems and platforms.  You can get a daily build of chrome which is called canary.

But this is a forum for Affinity software!

I find it hard to believe that it is "the same thing" developing, and issuing updates, for a suite of three pieces of software on three platforms, as it is to update a browser! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

But this is a forum for Affinity software!

I find it hard to believe that it is "the same thing" developing, and issuing updates, for a suite of three pieces of software on three platforms, as it is to update a browser! 

You are right, it is not the same.  The browser exists across far more systems.  All those of Affinity, plus every flavor of Linux and Android.  Browsers are some of the most complex software of applications people use every day.  Browser development also has to deal with very complex security issues.  Yet, they still have daily builds that everyone can use.

Relative size of software, see Chrome and Firefox from 5 years ago - https://www.visualcapitalist.com/millions-lines-of-code/

I'm assuming this has been mentioned before elsewhere but considering how active the Affinity devs used to be in these forums and how frequently betas were being posted these last six months have felt surreal. I searched for announcements, anything explaining the sudden stealth mode, checked out people's linkedin, twitter, glassdoor just to see if they were even still working there. Last thing I'd want is to see Designer and Photo turn into abandonware.

Was there any announcement regarding the policy shift? Of course its understandable that there's no need for betas and frequent updates if some whole new version is in the works and not in a state where you'd want the public to get their hands on it. Would be nice to know that this is what's actually going on.

Also this goes without saying - one of the big reasons to go with Affinity is the lack of forced subscriptions. The trend in the industry towards this is as undeniable as the outlook is grim though. Fingers crossed that for Affinity things stay like they are now in future releases - that includes a Mac version that is not bound to the app store. No pressure... 😇

Yeah, I hope the silence is because they have been preparing for the next big thing.

Looking at the recent situation in the creative software space, where Clip studio paint got backlashed because of their subscription plan, and now Figma going to be acquired by Adobe made a headline, I think this is great momentum for Affinity to make a move.

The most mentioned Figma alternative is sketch, and I noticed Sketch is now subscription based.
In my opinion Affinity designer has a good foundation for UI design.

If Affinity 2.0 is announced with nice features, keeping the perpetual license, and better compatibility with industry-standard apps, Affinity can be the next loved one!

1 hour ago, thomasp said:

... I searched for announcements, anything explaining the sudden stealth mode, checked out people's linkedin, twitter, glassdoor just to see if they were even still working there. Last thing I'd want is to see Designer and Photo turn into abandonware...

Ironically, at some point I think near the beginning of the year people were complaining about the lack of communication.  A moderator acknowledged that Affinity was aware of the issue and it has essentially been silence ever since.  Mods have only stated they are busy working on the next release.

When they sent out the user survey, I mentioned communication as a very important issue.  Whenever I have brought up this point in the past, the response I get seems to be they don't want to be more open because that would simply invite more complaints as if being silent doesn't create just as many complaints combined with lack of confidence and lack of momentum in the industry.

6 hours ago, bayustudio said:

If Affinity 2.0 is announced with nice features, keeping the perpetual license, and better compatibility with industry-standard apps, Affinity can be the next loved one!

Then Ad*be will buy it and kill it. 
I am sometime worried if they are already in talks - it's very difficult to resist when Ad*be comes to buy them with boatloads of money. 

12 hours ago, saikat said:

it's very difficult to resist when Ad*be comes to buy them with boatloads of money. 

This is what they have to say:

Best regards!

image.png.a29a6348201abd9cee2bb4d4f46d573d.png

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

On 9/15/2022 at 11:23 PM, bayustudio said:

Looking at the recent situation in the creative software space, where Clip studio paint got backlashed because of their subscription plan, and now Figma going to be acquired by Adobe made a headline, I think this is great momentum for Affinity to make a move.

I'm using Clip Studio Paint as well, like Affinity they didn't charge for updates for years (10 years according to CSP), to be realistic that is not a sustainable commercial business model in the long run so I can understand that want a more reliable income stream from that perspective. I don't like the subscription only model for software unless it is (relatively) low cost and not business critical software (i.e. I can stop using it without too much trouble and switch to an alternative).

Like someone else mentioned on this forum, having a perpetual license that you can use to open old(er) files if you are no longer using subscription or using it at all from some point in the future because you switched to another software program (for whatever reason) is essential for me.

Corel went from semi-subscription (upgrade protection and then maintenance plan) where you would get to keep the then latest versions if you stopped the maintenance subscription to subscription only at 2.5-3 times the cost of maintenance for a perpetual version. No way, bye bye Corel, welcome alternatives (i.e. Affinity).

Clip Studio Paint still offers a perpetual license, though you would need an update subscription to get the feature updates instead of only bug fixes until the first feature update. If it takes them several year before the next major upgrade I can see why they want to do that, even though I am having some reservations for now but it will depend on the pricing whether paying for a new full license (upgrade to perpetual version) plus update subscription as I will call it for now will be acceptable compared to subscription only. If it is then I will continue using Clip Studio with perpetual license and get update subscription for a year if the new feature updates are worth it to me.

For me there should somehow always be an option to keep the then current version as a perpetual license when you quit subscription, though understandably without further updates/upgrades, would I be willing to consider subscription for any major/essential software program unless there really is no alternative for it and I really need to use that software.

So yes Affinity does have an opportunity to attract/lure new customers now that more software is going subscription based. As long as they will offer perpetual licenses, either directly or indirectly because you get to keep the then current version when quitting subscription, I'll keep using Affinity. It still needs to add a few things to the various programs but overall it is quite usable for me.

Sooooo.... to stay on-topic.... when can we expect V2? 🙂

Zaczynam się martwić, że Adobe Affinity zostanie niestety założone do końca roku, a podczas tego długiego okresu milczenia zarówno Serif, jak i Adobe prowadzą rozmowy na temat przejęcia oprogramowania. Sigma pożegnała się już ze swoimi fanami.

I have no idea why on earth people keep talking about Serif being acquired by Adobe, moving to a subscription model, or going out of business!

There haven't been any Affinity updates for a few months: so what! – Some software is updated more often, some less often.

Serif have made it clear (more than once) that their current priorities are focused on APub for iPad, and new versions of the whole Affinity suite.

These endless "conspiracy theories", with no basis in fact, are not just pointless they are wildly inaccurate fantasies!

If self appointed "experts" want to tell Serif how to develop software and how to run the company, that's up to them! Obviously they have nothing better to do! Personally I prefer spending my time using the software to get work done!

Yes, we are all looking forward to upgrades to the Affinity suite, hopefully with some of the long standing bugs being fixed, and with some great new features: but it's a big job, for a (comparatively) small company, so it's bound to take some time to get it right. Serif have been a successful company, producing excellent software, for quite a number of years: I'm quite happy using the Affinity software, as it stands, until a new version comes along. I'd much prefer Serif take their time getting it right, rather than pushing out substandard products just for the sake of speed!

• Staff
4 hours ago, Arte said:

when can we expect V2?

Bad news: Not this month, sorry.

Good news: The longer it takes the more new features, improvements, and fixes will be included. Exciting times ahead.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Thanks Patrick,
Hope you don't postpone it that much to make it perfect.
There must be at least something left to complain about.😁

Er...I'll do my best... I guess 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi all,

Almost every body complains here about subscription and to some extend, they are correct when paying expensive fees each month like Adobe and co.

However, when paying an affordable monthly fee for a usefull program like Affinity, it is a better guarantee for the future of your favorite application. Is that not what we all want, a secure future for our preferred Affinity range?

What is an affordable monthy subscription fee? Everything below 10 euros a month.

We can be passionate, motivated and creative but in the end, there must come food on the table not?

Because I have to depend on Affinity very much, I prefer to pay a montly subscription fee. It should be a disaster for me if Affinity range should be deprecated for any reason.

Maybe Serif van serve both kinds. Users who make a one time payment for a major release which only receive bug fixes. The other users paying a monthly subscription which receive in return new features. I think this is a fair model not? For me it became a little frustrating that I am using excellent software so long for only the initial purchase. I know what is necessary to keep a company ticking and the present payment scheme worries me.

But it is not up to me, to tell Serif what to do. I like to work with Designer and Publisher, and wish to do that for a very long time from now.

Despite the Affinity applications have their shortcomings, I always accomplish my projects within the deadline and to the satisfaction of my customers.

The Affinity team produces excellent software with a very limited team count. Lets support them and be patient.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Hi all,

Almost every body complains here about subscription and to some extend, they are correct when paying expensive fees each month like Adobe and co.

However, when paying an affordable monthly fee for a usefull program like Affinity, it is a better guarantee for the future of your favorite application. Is that not what we all want, a secure future for our preferred Affinity range?

What is an affordable monthy subscription fee? Everything below 10 euros a month.

We can be passionate, motivated and creative but in the end, there must come food on the table not?

Because I have to depend on Affinity very much, I prefer to pay a montly subscription fee. It should be a disaster for me if Affinity range should be deprecated for any reason.

Maybe Serif van serve both kinds. Users who make a one time payment for a major release which only receive bug fixes. The other users paying a monthly subscription which receive in return new features. I think this is a fair model not? For me it became a little frustrating that I am using excellent software so long for only the initial purchase. I know what is necessary to keep a company ticking and the present payment scheme worries me.

But it is not up to me, to tell Serif what to do. I like to work with Designer and Publisher, and wish to do that for a very long time from now.

Despite the Affinity applications have their shortcomings, I always accomplish my projects within the deadline and to the satisfaction of my customers.

The Affinity team produces excellent software with a very limited team count. Lets support them and be patient.

Chris

well I don't know what to say, I live in Venezuela and it's impossible for us to pay a subscription in adobe a logo here is paid in 10$ maximum. only getting jobs in other countries of the region like peru, colombia or argentina you could increase the rate to 60$ but they are not recurrent jobs, a blessing is to get remote work abroad but it is not very usual in my case, practically my acquaintances and even myself work in the local market. 

I don't like piracy, but the country situation forced me to pirate adobe programs until I met affinity and even though it doesn't have the shape builder tool I made the transition and I'm more than happy. As soon as V2 comes out I will buy it but if they decide to make it subcription I will unfortunately have to go back to the dark world of Jack Sparrow T_T.

@Luis Simon

I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression with my comment. Being based in Botswana (Africa), I am well aware of poverty problems around the world. I have great respect for people in such poor conditions who try to make a living with the very small resources they have. Many times, they surprise me when showing what they created.

About the subscription model you are afraid of, don't be. I use Serif software for a very long time (2009) and they where always very affordable and supportive. Also, read my suggestion again and you find out that I prefer to have two models, subscription based and perpetual. But you are correct, on first sight, it looks like I am advocating subscription based for every one, which is clearly NOT my intention. I really do regret that I was giving this impression. Be assured that I regard people like you highly with respect.

Wish you a nice day and all the best.

Chris

2 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

There must be at least something left to complain about.

Don't worry – some people will always find something to complain about; and if they can't find anything, they'll probably make it up! 😉

1 hour ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Hi all,

Subscription models are absolutely terrible.  However, it seems Affinity is considering it.  Subscription models are a major benefit to the revenue of the company, but are a detriment to satisfying user needs.  You will pay far more per feature.  It becomes a guaranteed revenue stream.  There is less incentive for the company to address user issues as you will keep paying regardless as the goal is always to lock you in to their ecosystem through cloud based software.

1 hour ago, Bad_Wolf said:

... Users who make a one time payment for a major release which only receive bug fixes. The other users paying a monthly subscription which receive new features.  ....

With new features come bugs, with bug fixes for features not in the Perpetual application comes the possibility of different bugs. One way of getting rid of a bug in a particular tool is to re-write the tool, that would no solve the problem. But if the newly rewritten tool has new features, do you strip out that feature and send the tool to the Perpetual users? Is that actually possible?

I like having permanent software, no subscription. I decide if I will upgrade. I have frequently skipped versions of software (which I currently use and have used for decades) simply because the new features did not offer anything of value to me. Fair warning to Serif Affinity, my policy, attitude, applies to your very good software too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

With new features come bugs, with bug fixes for features not in the Perpetual application comes the possibility of different bugs. One way of getting rid of a bug in a particular tool is to re-write the tool, that would no solve the problem. But if the newly rewritten tool has new features, do you strip out that feature and send the tool to the Perpetual users? Is that actually possible?

It is not a workable model anyway.  Maintaining older versions would require multiple parallel branches of the code.  This is a burden on development for every branch you have to maintain.  You have to backport and merge bug fixes.  Each version of the software then has to go through the full cycle, build, test, verification etc.  It is costly to maintain older versions.