You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

27 minutes ago, Brian Lucas said:

I don't get it. Did the company fade away? Aren't they going to go on with their software?

The company is still here, and they've indicated they're working on a major update.

But they haven't given any firm date, and are unlikely to do so or make any other comment with definitive information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, Luis Simon said:

can you imagine that serif makes a plugin to export vectors to Davinci in V2, or that they release their own motion graphic program? every week I log in hoping to see some news but the lack of information has made me sad xD

Does not exporting from Designer as SVG and then using Fusion's import SVG work for you?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 2:34 AM, Luis Simon said:

can you imagine that serif makes a plugin to export vectors to Davinci in V2, or that they release their own motion graphic program? every week I log in hoping to see some news but the lack of information has made me sad xD

I had suggested to them a few years ago 😅

On 8/19/2022 at 2:34 AM, Luis Simon said:

You know you can just import SVG, so vectors, in the Fusion tab and do anything you like with it right? It's by no means perfect and Fusion is by far not ideal for making animations (there are lots of other way better tools for that), but it's not time consuming and done in just 2 minutes.

Yeah I'm curious to know what's going on. The 1.10 release is quite old at this point. They have been quiet for longer than ever before so hopefully whatever they are up to is worth the wait. Their suite of apps have so much potential to be the leading apps in their respected fields. Just hope they continue to evolve and innovate. 

The Affinity apps are all 'young' in the scheme of things and I am not suggesting a substantial update wouldn't be welcome, but who remembers the 'good old days' of the early - mid '90's when software was updated on a very infrequent basis?

Quark Xpress V3, Photoshop V2.5, Illustrator V5 and the Mac System 7 - all of which were the daily tools of so many in the design and print industry for what was in fact years. Small updates came along every once in a while and we found tricks and workarounds to compensate for the quirks and bugs.

We all expect everything without delay these days.

2 hours ago, DesignSurge said:

We all expect everything without delay these days.

That's because productivity has increased by orders of magnitude due to both software, hardware and development process innovations.  The baseline for expected progress moves up as tech advances.

In the early days an update would have had to have been placed on physical media (floppies or CD-ROMs) and then that would have to be sent to all the users of the software. Cost lots of money to do those two things.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

While we are on this topic, I read in a AECMagazine article by Martyn Day that at least one customer is beta testing Affinity 2.0: https://aecmag.com/technology/serif-affinity-for-aec-firms/

For those who don't wish to click the link:

“Version 2 of the suite is due out in 2022 and promises to bring a slew of new capabilities. One customer who is beta testing V2 told me [Day] it will also make the switch from Adobe ‘even easier’, acknowledging some ‘growing pains’ in the initial transition.”

Is Serif in a position to confirm or deny any of these rumors at this time?

Edited by aeromachinator
Author attribution

From the article: implement Affinity for less than £10,000,

I don't think anyone did any fact checking on that article. That paragraph should have mentioned the number of users for 10K versus 60K for Adobe.

Is Serif in a position to confirm or deny any of these rumors at this time?

Good luck waiting for that. We'll know when we know.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, DesignSurge said:

who remembers the 'good old days' of the early - mid '90's when software was updated on a very infrequent basis?

Only it's not the 90s anymore. The development happens much faster nowadays.

With this, I'm not implying Serif should or should not update their products more often, only objecting that a comparison to thirty years ago is not exactly on point.

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

22 minutes ago, phoenixart said:

Only it's not the 90s anymore. The development happens much faster nowadays.

With this, I'm not implying Serif should or should not update their products more often, only objecting that a comparison to thirty years ago is not exactly on point.

However, updating your product about once a year is more like the 90s.  It was called "waterfall" development.  A process that has been mostly abandoned in modern software development and replaced with Agile in which releases are done very frequently.  The benefit is not simply to release frequently, but to get feedback from users before you commit to a full year of development before you realize you delivered something the users don't like.  Much easier to better align with users when you have at least monthly releases.  If something is not right, you can much easier fix it than if you had already committed a year behind it.

2 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

1.5.1>1.5.2>1.5.5>1.6.0>1.6.1>1.6.2>1.6.3>1.6.4>1.6.5>1.6.6>1.6.7>1.6.9>1.6.10>1.6.11>1.6.11>1.6.12>
1.7.0>1.7.1>1.7.2>1.7.3>1.7.4>1.8.0>1.8.1>1.8.2>1.8.3>1.8.4>1.8.5>1.8.6>1.9.0>1.9.1>1.9.2>1.9.3>
1.10.1>1.10.2>1.10.3>1.10.4>1.10.5 (Maybe I missed a number or two or some got skipped)

I think that's a lot of (36)updates in 6 years and without additional payment.
Also not to mention the patches and beta versions in between.

Agile is done in iterations building on a feature always on a regular schedule.  Typical iteration is weekly.  Beta is just another continuous build running ahead of production.  It is an entire process methodology, frequent releases is only part of the process.  It encompasses the entire development cycle of how requirements are gathered, prioritized, customer feedback, testing, builds etc.  This entire cycle takes place within a unit of time such as a week.

This distinctly differs from waterfall.  Where you gather all the requirements at once for a release.  Plan the release.  Develop the release.  Beta test and get customer feedback, defect fixing cycle and finally release.  Maintenance updates etc can still be somewhat frequent, but the core feature development is long.

7 hours ago, CM0 said:

Much easier to better align with users when you have at least monthly releases. 

I must be using the wrong software – none of the apps I use have anything like monthly updates! I'm sure, if they did, I'd get sick and tired of the endless updating!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

37 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I must be using the wrong software – none of the apps I use have anything like monthly updates! I'm sure, if they did, I'd get sick and tired of the endless updating!

That's because most apps now update automatically without you ever knowing it.  All cloud software is updated continuously.  Your web browser and all apps on your phone etc.

1 minute ago, CM0 said:

That's because most apps now update automatically without you ever knowing it.  All cloud software is updated continuously.  Your web browser and all apps on your phone etc.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about apps on the PC, similar to Affinity, not phone apps!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad