You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The colour of white in printing

Hello everyone,

I am very intrigued by the default white in the Affinity suite.

Its white has a CMYK component of no ink at all (Cyan 0%, Magenta 0%, Yellow 0%, Black 0%). So why do we get white in a solid white and not transparent?

blanc.jpg

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

You have made a false assumption about White being simply the absence of inks.

Just now, Pyanepsion said:

why do we get white in a solid white and not transparent?

Why would you get solid yellow and not oh say yellow that is 25% opaque? I mean, after all the other three inks are missing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

Its white has a CMYK component of no ink at all (Cyan 0%, Magenta 0%, Yellow 0%, Black 0%). So why do we get white in a solid white and not transparent?

When you create a new document, you can choose if you want a white or transparent background. Its your choice. 

Even after creating documents, you can change the background setting any time.

When exporting, it depends on export file format and settings if transparency is supported or not.

FD6DB151-A878-48EE-BCCA-90D5BBA5A484.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

11 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

White is basically "Paper White" and absence of ink so in a sense it has the same effect as "Erase" blend mode, not allowing any color contribution below so when produced in CMYK, creates no pigments and causes the media to show through (which of course does not need to be "white").

Transparency is controlled by opacity value of contributing inks.

White can also exist as a true ink but needs to be defined separately (as a spot color).

I can see from the answers that my question was unclear. I will ask it again in a different way.

white-transparent.png.57e454b76515006ce84eb3513477e52c.png

Colour is obtained in printing by superimposing several monochrome plates.

The plate is not actually uniform. It contains tiny drops of coloured ink evenly spaced from each other. The ideal drop is round and its maximum diameter is defined by the resolution. The diameter of each ink drop varies from 0 (no ink) to 100% (maximum intensity) of the maximum diameter (or, another technique, the points are more frequent).

In current printing, a trichromatic system, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, was quickly used.

In this universe, black was obtained by saturating the three inks to 100%, but this black tended to be brown. The printers then increasingly added a supporting black to first reinforce the shadows and write the black text of the works in colour, then to finally reinforce all the colours.

Eventually, the four-colour system, as we know, it became Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black.

55 minutes ago, lacerto said:

In a sense [white] has the same effect as the ‘Erase’ blend mode, by not allowing a colour underneath.

We agree, but why does white (CMYK 0 0 0 0) not allow the coloured paper (e.g. cream) to be seen and remain white?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Thanks MikeW. So the white I saw was a support colour. I am reassured.

1 hour ago, Pyanepsion said:

We agree, but why does white (CMYK 0 0 0 0) not allow the coloured paper (e.g. cream) to be seen and remain white?

I guess this is just an app feature missing. Illustrator lets the user specify paper color and simulate it with paper white (showing through the color of the media and in a way behave as if the object were transparent), and InDesign and Photoshop let you simulate paper color when soft proofing e.g. cream paper profiles, as does Adobe Acrobat Pro when using Output Preview.

Additionally to @lacerto's hints:

47 minutes ago, MikeW said:

On the design surface, white simply indicates there will be no ink. Even though it displays as opaque. White will knock out every thing below it.

15 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

So the white I saw was a support colour.

Not only. Both "flavours" of white are useful or required, in particular (not only) for screen view. If you create a PNG you might want transparency AND non-transparent white. You could not create the latter if Affinity would handle all no-ink as transparent. Same with PDF, e.g. for web view: if your PDF viewing app can display transparent white then it also displays the two as different – like Affinity does (only) if you have activated its transparent background pattern.

But also for print layout the difference is useful, for instance if you place a logo which contains white on a different colour – and transparency around its e.g. round or star shape. Then in Affinity a white bounding box background would disturb in the print layout if its document is set to show transparency as white (as usual for print layout).

In this examples the Star is set to transparent via blend mode Erase. Affinity layout:

1212120221_whitevs.transparencyAffinity1.thumb.jpg.82b2c8e6156c2769b83be6b5f1c4dc71.jpg

Exported as PNG, opened in Apple's Preview.app …

2140296291_whitevs.transparencyPNGVorschau.jpg.fa30881161e835a05e071ff41761c88a.jpg

… and the PNG opened in Acrobat:

1677029961_whitevs.transparencyPNGAcrobat.jpg.c5cfe1c9e9dbe3cabcd615c7048fb8ac.jpg

Whereas an exported PDF appears confusing to me on screen: the Star does not show transparency, though the blank page around displays Acrobat's transparency pattern / and Preview.app shows no transparency at all:
@MikeW / @lacerto, any idea why this happens with the exported PDF?

1813320451_whitevs.transparencyPDFAcrobat.jpg.06bd7a5e605393203b5f1a1c279e689d.jpg354749664_whitevs.transparencyPDFPreview.jpg.24315c25570862866581539e0decc7a0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I think, the point is that in CMYK you have four channels: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and K for the Keycolor Black. There is no White channel (or a lightness channel like in HSL or HSV), because the printing process is subtractive, means that the colours of the four channels will be printed over each other as rasters and mix up optically to the mix colors, subtracting colors from the spectrum of the reflected light. There is no white except the white of the paper. If the paper is colored, there will be no white anyway.

I don't know how it works if you want to print directly e.g. on black T-Shirts. In that case you would of course need white printing color. That must be a special printing process, not simply using CMYK. Never had to do with it.

Edit: Years ago I saw some printings in a magazine that were printed on dull black paper. The printings were fully colored and very brilliant glossy. That must have been a special printing process with more than four colors too. It was an interesting effect.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

@lacerto, any idea why this happens with the exported PDF?

I'm not sure how you exported and how exactly the design was constructed but because Erase blend mode will always be rasterized and cannot be translated into a vector based transparency (so that it could be left unresolved in PDF formats supporting unflattened transparencies), it would be flattened against white in areas not overlapping with any other colors (inks). 

I think we are confusing colours with inks. Inks do not exist in the computer. We do not see the yellow ink with its inherent transparency. We only see the yellow colour. At 100% opacity.

Overly simplified description follows.

Cyan, Magenta and Yellow Inks are, to a degree, transparent.

On the computer: Put a magenta rectangle over a cyan rectangle. Why don't we see the cyan showing through the transparent magenta? Colours are not Inks.

On Paper: Put a magenta rectangle over a cyan rectangle. We see the cyan showing through the transparent magenta. It will look Blue.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

The question was 

23 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

So why do we get white in a solid white and not transparent?

There is no ink nor any paper involved. White is a "colour".

I think this discussion is going strange ways. There are good reasons for the CMYK-color-space. "Four-Color-Printing" is the keyword. Because those four colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) are the only colors that will be needed for Four-Color-Printing, there are four channels, one for each of those colors. Because the white will come from the paper, we need no white printing color and no transparency. It doesn't matter if the spaces that are meant to be white are solid white or transparent in the CMYK-document, because there is no white channel, and no white channel is needed. The less color is printed on that certain areas, the whiter they are. So no matter if you call white a "color", a "lightness", "greyscale" or whatever, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't need to be printed.

2 hours ago, lacerto said:

If we can talk about CMYK colors on a computer display, then we should be able to talk about inks, as well.

But aren't colors & inks two distinctly different things? For example, inks may be available in many different colors & even among the C,M, & Y ones produced by different ink makers may each have slightly different colors.

IOW, color is property of inks & also a property of computer display elements, but just because they each have color properties that does not make them the same things ... right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, iconoclast said:

I don't know how it works if you want to print directly e.g. on black T-Shirts. In that case you would of course need white printing color. That must be a special printing process, not simply using CMYK. Never had to do with it.

That’s correct. If you want to print in white on a black T-shirt you can’t use CMYK process colours, you have to use white ink.

I once saw a demonstration of a photocopier that could use a white toner cartridge, allowing white designs to be printed on black paper (or any other dark colour).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I once saw a demonstration of a photocopier that could use a white toner cartridge, allowing white designs to be printed on black paper (or any other dark colour).

In the late 80ths white toner was common in larger copy shops, it was perfect for mock-ups of white design on brown wrapping paper, trendy at that time. Such a copy not only had a more natural, haptic surface than the high-gloss 4-colour copies that appeared, but was also much cheaper than them. For some reason these machines disappeared with DTP, perhaps because people generally used copy shops less often.

… But it is still available: https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/white-toner-m254-054-w/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

That’s correct. If you want to print in white on a black T-shirt you can’t use CMYK process colours, you have to use white ink.

I remember that I had a project in the 90es. I wanted to order some prints on black T-Shirts. But I couldn't find a print shop that was able to do that for acceptable conditions. Usually such prints were made on a surface that had to be ironed on the shirts afterwards, so that you had a hard plank on your chest if you wore the shirt. Very unsatisfying. So the shirts never got printed. As far as I remember print shops who could print white on black directly were very rare and expensive.

Aren’t spot colors the solution for this?

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Clr/spotClr.html

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 year later...