You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export for KDP: all grey tones are pixelated - HELP

Hi, I am an absolute beginner challenged by a PDF for KDP. The test print that I ordered displays all grey (40% black) tones (font plus a dot grid and eps illustrations) as pixelated, even the fonts. I embedded the fonts and used the PDF/X-1a.

What did I do wrong? Or is this since I used grey instead of full black?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Staff

Hi Anni,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible please could you provide a screenshot showing your PDF export settings? It may also be handy to have a copy of your affinity project file and a copy of the exported PDF file so I will include a DropBox link below that you should be able to upload them to :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/LK9gqZIkpb7qXsUQufy5

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, anni said:

Hi @Callum, thankyou! I just uploaded everything.

Another question I have is that whenever I select "include bleed" it doesn't allow export as PDF/X-1a anymore, which is also so weird. KDP actually asks for a PDF/X.

Thankyou in advance!

You should still be able to, it seems to work here for me would you be able upload a screen recording showing this? While I look at your previous files :)

• Staff
6 hours ago, anni said:

hi @callum, just checking in to make sure the files reached you?

I have received the files, I'm currently working from home and don't have access to a printer however tomorrow I will be in the office so I can test a print out here at my end but it looks like everything should be fine. Have you contacted KDP regarding this?

Hi @Callum, I received answers now regarding the print and it seems as if grey tones in KDP are always acreened in a very particular rough way that creates this fuzzy effect as the screening also contains a pattern.
So I guess there is no other way when using percentages of black.
Thankyou for helping me with this and assuring that my PDF was correct.

Have you had time to check out the screen recording I made to understand why I cannot select the bleed in PDF and export as PDF:X in my version of Publisher?

• Staff

Ah this is just a misunderstanding of the UI when you select the include bleed tickbox the pre-set name is removed to show that you have changed one of the settings and are no longer exporting to that exact pre-set however all other settings you have from originally selecting the pre-set will remain the same.