You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Detecting a Font Style and Text Effects Settings

It can be possible in APub to detect the font (Character panel) and the effect (Effects panel or APh Filters) – but APub can not open MS .pub. Can you export your .pub as PDF + upload?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi Chasm,

As @thomaso mentioned there's no MS pub compatibility, however there are plenty of MSpub to PDF converters online which Affinity software can import.  If you use one of these, it may help bring over the document (though I have no idea how accurate that might be).

Lee

3 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Chasm,

As @thomaso mentioned there's no MS pub compatibility, however there are plenty of MSpub to PDF converters online which Affinity software can import.  If you use one of these, it may help bring over the document (though I have no idea how accurate that might be).

Lee

The document is just an image. 

54 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The document is just an image. 

Even then a PDF would have helped to make it visible to the forum, or just a screenshot 😉  (I wonder for what purpose then an MS.pub was uploaded at all?)
However, it appears you already have answered the OP's questions.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

16 hours ago, MikeW said:

If you're wondering about the top two font names and effects, they are forms of Algerian & Britannic, both with white outlines and drop shadows.

Hi Mike, Thank you so much. That's very helpful. Is there any way to detect (reverse engineer) what the drop shadow settings are set to? You know how they do that in 3 seconds on TV crime drama shows! :) Thank you again for your kind help.

1 minute ago, chasm said:

Is there any way to detect (reverse engineer) what the drop shadow settings are set to? You know how they do that in 3 seconds on TV crime drama shows!

If your computer keyboard does not have an Enhance (TM) button then you are out of luck.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, chasm said:

Hi Mike, Thank you so much. That's very helpful. Is there any way to detect (reverse engineer) what the drop shadow settings are set to? You know how they do that in 3 seconds on TV crime drama shows! :) Thank you again for your kind help.

Ha ha!

If you are doing this remake in APub, the settings are likely to be of no use because of how Affinity applications use document dpi. But, you can do what I would need to do to get close. Export the .pub page as an image, load it onto your APub page at 100% scale, set your text in APub to the same size as the image, then adjust the drop shadow parameters to mimic the image.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

If your computer keyboard does not have an Enhance (TM) button then you are out of luck.

*Enhance

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mike... I hope this message finds you well. This one is totally on me. I created a graphic in MS Paint on the run but forgot to write down the style it was. I copied and pasted an image  of it on the site what the font but they just wanted to sell me fonts. I then uploaded it to squirrel font but it found nothing. With your eagle eye, would you pls. take an educated guess at what font style the attached might be? Thank you!

Plot - Font style.png

3 minutes ago, chasm said:

Hi Libre,

Are you suggesting in the future I could open MS Publisher 365 (have) and somehow view the font style in some sort of static view?

No.
M365 gives you access to the cloud fonts.
And the cloud fonts include static versions of the Bahnschrift instances/styles.
APub does not support variable fonts (or you could use the Bahnschrift VF as is).
So you coerce M365 into giving you the static versions, which you can then install and then use in APub. Once you have the static versions, this requires disabling the variable version - because the static style names will conflict with the instance names in the variable font. Cannot have both installed.
(This would be really easy if APub had an application fonts folder! ! !).
So if you just-gotta-have Bahnschrift in APub, this does work.
I can explain step-by-step if you are interested.

Hi Libre,

Very cool.

Thank you for your kind offer but I think I'll use another font style (just easier).

How does one know if a font is variable?

Do you teach Libre Office for Windows?

I find I can do certain functions easier in Lbre Writer than Word.