You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is Affinity equivalent of Photoshop "Color Balance" ?

Just got the 10-day trial.  Looked in vain for a way to adjust colors as with PS "Color Balance".  "Affinity Help" is no help at all, just tells what the thing is supposed to do but doesn't say where it is or how to use it.

Found something on the right side of the workspace with RGB sliders that make absolutely no changes to the image.

Can anyone help?

Spoiler

I'll try to help ...

I've used AP for a long time now and find it absolutely great - in fact, Im using it right now to adjust colours on an astronomical telescope.

There are several ways to adjust Colour Balance ...

1. Use the 'Auto' buttons in the Enhancement toolbar at the top of the AP screen;

2. From the Layer menu, select 'New Adjustment Layer' then 'White Balance' or 'Levels' or Curves' - the same as in PhotoShop.

The RGB sliders you mentioned are to set the colour of the current brush / paint tool.

To use the new colour in your document, you need to paint something onto the active layer - the paint will be in the colour you set using the sliders.

I hope that helps.

Please persist with your trial - AP is very similar to Photoshop - only better. (BTW - Im not being paid to say that :))

6 hours ago, brucet said:

Looked in vain for a way to adjust colors as with PS "Color Balance".

Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Colour Balance

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, you can add as many adjustment layers to the image as you want/need

The HSL adjustment contains a saturation slider

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That is one way ...

The great thing about adjustment layers is that the original image is 100% preserved - the adjustment is achieved by 'looking through' the adjustment layer.

You can merge the adjustment into the image (making it permanent) by selecting 'Copy Merged' or by exporting the image.

One thing I do when fixing damaged images, where I also have a similar image, is to select a portion of the second image that would cover the damage in the first image, [Command+J] to make the selection into a layer, then drag it to the first image file and merge it in.  

I haven't yet found out if I can do that with Affinity.  Can I?

Technically, yes you can use drag but it's usually easier to copy and paste from one image to the other one.

You can then use the Layer > Merge... commands to merge it should you wish to do so

Or even more elegantly. You use the clone brush tool.

To do this, place both versions on top of each other as layers. The unblemished version is placed at the bottom and is the source. In the source selection of the clone brush you then lay out "layer below".

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!