You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to insert an extra person into middle of a group

I'm fine with cutting out, refining and copying or saving a person from a photo.

My problem is I need to put an person in the middle of a group of people.

I've unsuccesfully looked for the turorial that used to be available years ago.

Can anyone please point me to the tutorial or give me an answer.

Regards

Regards

Princy

(Using W11 Pro on desktop)

I don't know the tutorial but I think since you have successfully cut out the person in the middle, you can do the same with the front person and place a copy above the layer of the middle person. This way you can cover the middle person with the front person where necessary.

As an alternative to cutting out, it would be sufficient to paint masks, e.g. to partially mask the middle person where it should be covered by the front person. This mask can be created while the layer of the middle person is set to invisible, as the image of the front person (in the layer below) defines what needs to be masked.

Another workflow, with opposite layer hierarchy, would mask only the group image and make the middle person visible behind it.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi Thomaso

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes, I've just done something similar to what you suggested.

I found that I had to do three corrections (improvements) Haha

One missing person, (photographer), another with their eyes closed and  yawning haha again.

I did take selection brush and capture each piece as required. I then made a mask where I wanted the change to go and put the copied part in. Did it for all three parts and it came out quite well . I'll have another go at it shortly to smooth out the tinyest misalignment. And of course to fix it into my old head.

Just hoping I've use the correct temenology above.

While typing, I've actually noticed someone two inches shorter than me has , in the photo, grown by two inches above me. so another thing to fix in the second attempt.

Regards

Thanks for the support with the reply

Regards

Princy

(Using W11 Pro on desktop)

Sounds good! I think that with such compositions, a more difficult part than satisfactory cropping can be matching light and colour when the individual image resources come from different places and light sources. The better both the perspective and the light fit between the selected images, the easier it is to achieve a natural impression, especially when it comes to adding individual body parts such as eyes or mouth separately.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1