You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Phantom transparency gradient in Publisher

I am working on a 12-page newsletter.  After four or five pages, when I draw out a text frame and try to enter text, the text looks like the transparency gradient tool is working.  Initial letter is very opaque (like 20% opacity) and the next few letters just disappear.  Strangely, that happens more at the top of the page -- going down, the text and text frame work perfectly. The same thing happens on subsequent pages.  That made me think I'd imbedded a transparency gradient on the master page or a prior main page, but I can't find anything.  I've looked at all the layers for each of the pages and can't see what it might be. I even tried deleting an affected page and inserting a new one in the same place, but it's still doing the same thing. It's as though the whole page has a transparency gradient on it, and the text frame tool does, too.  I have attached a shot of a page to help illustrate the situation.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I'm a noob, but this is a real headscratcher.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  And if it works, I promise to tell Santa.  That way you're assured to be on the right list.  

Thanks

Phantom transp gradient Capture.JPG

Make a document with one page and copy and paste the problem frame into it and then post it here. Otherwise we will only be able to speculate.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It looks as though you may have inadvertently applied a gradation to the text itself. If you double click the first and/or second line of text so it is selected and then select the Fill tool, does it show a gradated fill on the selected text?

1726560573_GraduatedText.thumb.jpg.e52b83e5cfe9730069fb398c13e1793e.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

@skydriver, as @Old Bruce suggested, could you perhaps upload a sample page where this is happening, that will make it a million times easier to track down the issue, otherwise we are kind of second guessing a little...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Hangman, for full disclosure, I have never used the fill tool so don't know how it works.  But I noticed that your illustration showed a dark circle and a light circle; mine showed two dark circles. I was unable to see how to adjust them.  If that's not correct, please advise how to do it.  Also, would having the transparency gradient tool imbedded in the text tool have anything to do with its being applied only toward the top of the page?  That still has me buffaloed.

14 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

Also, would having the transparency gradient tool imbedded in the text tool have anything to do with its being applied only toward the top of the page?

If that is indeed what is going on here then yes, in as much as, if the gradation only affects some but not all of the text in question... hopefully this shows how that works in practice...

5 hours ago, Skydiver said:

But I noticed that your illustration showed a dark circle and a light circle; mine showed two dark circles. I was unable to see how to adjust them.

You can either change the colors of these circles (called stops because that is where the color stops being one color & begins transitioning to the next) as shown in the @Hangman video or on the page itself by selecting the text with the Fill Tool active & clicking on one of the stops to select it. Once it is selected, you can use the Color or Swatches panel to change it there.

In fact, for other than linear fills, the only way to adjust how they are applied is on the page, like in this very simple fills.afpub example.

For more about this, you can refer to the Gradient Editing help topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Guys, this is all very impressive, and it's clear you understand what you're talking about, but I am unable to take what you're showing me and make it solve my problem. I am unable to duplicate your moves because my screen doesn't look like yours when I try to do what you did.   So I'm missing something very basic somewhere.

How do I remove the gradient from the text tool, and how do I return the page to a non-gradient page?  (If hat's part of the problem)  Sorry I don't understand.  I really do thank you for your help and very much appreciate your taking time to tutor me.  But maybe another explanation might work better.  Please don't give up yet.  We're getting closer.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

But maybe another explanation might work better.  Please don't give up yet.  We're getting closer.

Did you open this thread as a challenge only? In case you are in fact asking for solution of a possible problem why not simply uploading a document containing that objects?

a.) Just because.
b.) Would I have to pay?
c.) I did not see your message.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Your screenshot shows just a visual result within a gray & a black border – but you want to know the way you got there / how this result was created. There are quite a few ways to achieve this specific look, so it's pretty inefficient to just guess, unless you want the community to guess only ("Let's start a challenge!"). If not, upload the Affinity document, not just any visual appearance. Only the document, Santa and Fantomas know the way you created this look. Anyone else has any thoughts, and there are many, most of them not related to this thread at all. I know.

EDIT: next time you run with the feeling of being a noob in a unknown result you can tick the option "Save History with Document" before saving the document. This increases the chance to detect the used workflow.

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, Skydiver said:

I did upload a screen shot of the problem in my initial inquiry, and a couple of the guys have used it in their responses.  So I don't understand your question.

We are asking for an Affinity format document (a file with the .afpub extension) like @Old Bruce asked for in the first reply to you, not just a screenshot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Your have some transparency added to the the text frames. Zoom way out and then use the layers panel to select the Text Frames while you have the Transparency tool selected. Set the Fill in the Transparency Tool's Context Toolbar to none for each affected layer.

1041687317_ScreenShot2022-08-14at6_49_28AM.png.52209747e490b57a69890a3ff40cb34e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Set the Fill in the Transparency Tool's Context Toolbar to none for each affected layer.

Just select them all and you can do them all at once

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Well, my sincere thanks to all of you for your help.  That definitely cleared up the problem.  I never would have figured it out on my own.  Apparently, while working in a text box, somehow I turned on the transparency tool, and that's how it connected with the text.  Who'da thunk?  Whew!  Next time I'll know better.  I'm very grateful.  I was afraid I had been condemned to having to deal with this forever.

In the future, I will upload the appropriate file -- I had no idea that was available.  See?  I'm learning.

By the way, Old Bruce, we have two things in common: I'm old and my name is Bruce.  Now, if you skydive, we'd be even closer.  How 'bout that!

Thank you to everyone who helped.  I am in your debt.  And yes, Santa has been notified.