You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overhand grip, drawing with the side of pencil like Proko

Hello everyone,

I am new to digital painting. I am trying to replicate overhand grip, drawing with the side of my pencil, similar to life drawing with charcoal pencils. Can Affinity Photo do this? I've attached a test sample from Corel Painter for your viewing to see what I mean. Soft broad side strokes and finer thin lines as the pencil approaches writing position.

The pencils I have tested so far stay rather thick and have no sort of gradient from the tip to the base, if that makes any sense? Are there any brushes I should look at or somehow modify to replicate this?

Here are some more demonstrations to further explain. So far on my iPad, the Proko Pencil for Infinite Painter works wonderfully out of the box. You can see it here.

Infinite Painter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jdTIHbWOQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwjsoidU6U8

Brent Eviston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQil40Y1Jk

Thank you kindly.

penciloverhand.JPG

• Staff

Hi @jonathanm0

If you select a brush e.g. Natural Pencil 4B, then go into the edit menu and under Hardness select 'Tilt'. This will register the tilt of the pencil and adjust the hardness accordingly. 

The size of the stroke can be adjusted by setting the size controller to Pressure or Velocity etc.

I hope this helps.

image.jpeg

50 minutes ago, EmT said:

Hi @jonathanm0

If you select a brush e.g. Natural Pencil 4B, then go into the edit menu and under Hardness select 'Tilt'. This will register the tilt of the pencil and adjust the hardness accordingly. 

The size of the stroke can be adjusted by setting the size controller to Pressure or Velocity etc.

I hope this helps.

image.jpeg

Hi @EmT. Thank you very much for your response. It looks like we have two different interfaces? When I go to brush editing, I have no Hardness setting under Dynamics. Just Hardness Jitter. I attempted to modify it but the brush doesn't appear to work any differently.

Thank you!

hardnessjitter.JPG

9 minutes ago, jonathanm0 said:

It looks like we have two different interfaces?

I think @EmT has shown the iPad interface. This is just a guess on my part.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
19 minutes ago, jonathanm0 said:

It looks like we have two different interfaces? When I go to brush editing, I have no Hardness setting under Dynamics. Just Hardness Jitter. I attempted to modify it but the brush doesn't appear to work any differently.

Apologies, I misread and thought you were on your iPad. 

The 'Hardness Jitter' is the same setting and you can set it to tilt from the dropdown menu. However the Tilt option does require a Tablet pen. 
image.png

This link should provide more info https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Painting/pixel_modify.html?title=Modifying pixel brushes

22 minutes ago, EmT said:

Apologies, I misread and thought you were on your iPad. 

The 'Hardness Jitter' is the same setting and you can set it to tilt from the dropdown menu. However the Tilt option does require a Tablet pen. 
image.png

This link should provide more info https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Painting/pixel_modify.html?title=Modifying pixel brushes

Hi @EmT. Thank you very much for your assistance. I have tested the hardness tilt at 0, 50, and 100 respectively. It feels like there is no tangible difference in how the brush is behaving, unless I am missing something? I will read through the link you have shared to better understand how to configure brushes. I've attached a picture for you to see.

Edit: I forgot to add that I am using a Cintiq Pro 24".

Kind regards.

hardnesstilt050100.JPG

Edited by jonathanm0
Added hardware.

5 hours ago, jonathanm0 said:

Edit: I forgot to add that I am using a Cintiq Pro 24".

Does the pen you are using with it support tilt sensitivity?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7