You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cropping a rotated image

(Designer) I rotated an image diagonally and then tried to crop it down the middle. I could not crop it down the middle now that I rotated it. I could only crop it along its original orientation as the crop box stays with the original image orientation. How can I crop a rotated image any way I want, and not just according to its original orientation?

Edited by kwrass

Hi @kwrass,

A couple of questions.

Are you using Designer, Photo or Publisher? There are different tools in each. And more importantly, have you rotated the document or the layer with the "image"?  

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, kwrass said:

@Old Bruce I am using Publisher and Designer. I did not rotate the layer or document with the image. I simply rotated the image on a publisher page, and then I tried to crop it.

I would use a rectangle to clip the rotated image.

803555281_ScreenShot2022-08-12at9_45_18AM.png.69760383d242906af5fdd7b9cbe3aab1.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Use the layers panel and drag the Rectangle onto the thumbnail of the Image (or whatever else you want to clip), please note that the rectangle should have no stroke if you want to be super accurate and it needs a fill. The fill need be any colour but has to be 100% opacity.

Sort of a chicken and the egg thing isn't it?

In Designer (I don't know Pub) using the crop tool creates a rectangular mask automatically (you do have to give the crop some kind of initial nudge to activate it though).
So you can just select that and rotate/size it however you like.