You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing text line at the end of page when letting the text "flow"

Hello: 

I started using Affinity Publisher some months ago for layout editing my books and till now I have been very satisfied. But a week ago I found a potential bug that could be a killer one: When letting the text "flow" through the pages of the book, the last line in certain pages disappears.

I have looked for solutions online but this doesn't seem to be a common problem. As I have little experience with the software, it may be that I am doing something terribly wrong or unconventional, but nevertheless, an error like this should definitely not happen.

Short explanation of the conditions in which the problem is occurring: 

I created a master page, then I copied the formatted text from MS Word (around 80 pages) and pasted it into one page in Affinity Publisher. Then adjusted the new text box to match the entered margins, and then let the text flow (red arrow in the text box). I noticed this error while adjusting the paragraphs and trying to shift text lines from one page to the next one by increasing or decreasing the "Leading Override". The text is vertically justified. I am including some pictures. Please let me know if you need something else to analyse this problem. 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Patrick

Text at it is seen.JPG

Missing line visible now after shifting downwards lower edge of the text box.JPG

• Staff

Hi @PatrickMeadeV welcome to the forums,

There is a similarly logged issue with the developers which relates to vertically justified text being pushed outside the boundaries of the frame but this is specifically when it is used in conjunction with columns, so it would be helpful if you could send over the file (or just part of it) where you are experiencing this issue so we can look further into this.

Understandably if you don't wish to share this file publicly I've provided a private dropbox link below. 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/request/p4TBgALB6smprsagFqoo

Thanks!

Dear Nathan,

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching a section of the manuscript in which the errors occurs. I saved it as a package and I am including the fonts I used to increase the chances the error repeats on your side.  Please let me know if you need other examples or even the whole file (via link). 

In case it helps, I also notice that when I copy text from MS Word and paste it onto the manuscript, all formatting/styles from the original document are ignored, as if I was using "Paste Without Format" function. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but perhaps is a hint that something is corrupt in my file or app installation. 

Thanks a lot for your support.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Los Monsterinos y el Clan de los Conejos Parlanchines - TEST.afpub Package.zip Amatic_SC.zip Crimson_Text.zip

About the copy/paste issue I mentioned in my last replay being a possible indication for the file or installation being corrupted, I found a threat talking about this issue and apparently the problem lays in MS Word. I tried copying the text from LibreOffice and it worked just fine. All formatting and text styles were transferred with the copied text. 

Thanks again for your support. I wish you a nice weekend. 

Patrick

Hello,

Here another missing line and perhaps an additional hint: in this example I selected the last paragraph on page 17, including the fist line on page 18, till the semicolon. However, the highlighted text looks weird, excluding part of the first line and including the second line. Whatever changes I make are correctly applied to the text I have selected though. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Patrick

textd selection wierd.JPG

• Staff

Hi @PatrickMeadeV,

Thanks for providing the files as well as what you've found, could you try the below to see if this sorts the problem out on your original file?

Highlight the text frame on page 3 and change the the Initial Advance to Leading in the Text Frame Panel > Vertical Position. This slightly increases the vertical space between the top of the frame and the first text line's baseline and will push the originally hidden line into the next text frame.

The problem is being potentially caused by the initial image's text wrap on page 3, as I also found that inserting two paragraph breaks and setting the image's wrap to square caused the hidden line to appear, so alternatively you could try this.

image.png

Let me know how this goes.