Jump to content

Affinity Photo keeps crashing / crash my system [W11]


Recommended Posts

Hi,

After a few days struggling to understand why affinity photo keeps crashing (it crash my whole system) I finaly decided to do a clean install of windows.

Now my operating system is brand new, there is nothing on it, and affinty photo keeps crashing, crash and reboot my computer


Ex : I open a file (afphoto file or png file), as soon as I try to do something like edit some adjustment layer : CRASH, crash and reboot.

Before that I never had any crash with affinity or whatever.

The worst, I lost a lot of time, I had to backup everything, reinstall my whole system, and it still not working.

And I still have a lot to do in order to get back my desktop environement like before... for just nothing. I have to say that i'm a bit on edge.

I have to work, I mean for my job, but i'm stuck...

 

Additional informations :

Windows 11 pro 21H2
Build 22000.856
Ryzen 7 2700X
GTX 1060 6go
32go

Hardware acceleration : OFF

No crash dump  (AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports), folder is empty...

Edited by entropy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, entropy said:

Now my operating system is brand new, there is nothing on it, and affinty photo keeps crashing, crash and reboot my computer

Crashes like that are usually a sign of an OS error, a driver error, or a hardware error. An application such as Affinity Photo can't cause them directly; that takes hardware or something running at the system level.

 

-- Walt

   Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

  Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Crashes like that are usually a sign of an OS error, a driver error, or a hardware error. An application such as Affinity Photo can't cause them directly; that takes hardware or something running at the system level.

 

It's very very unlikely, seems to be clearly Affinity related, as it's the only program that makes my computer crash, everything run butter smooth 8hours/day,  I play CSGO for hours at 200+ fps without any issue.

 

27 minutes ago, Subclavius said:

Hi @entropy

Are your graphics drivers up to date?  If Windows is crashing, this suggests to me a problem with the drivers rather than Affinity Photo.  The latest version according to the NVIDIA website is studio driver 516.94

My last drivers before clean install was studio 516.59, i'll give a try to the 516.94 drivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, entropy said:

It's very very unlikely, seems to be clearly Affinity related, as it's the only program that makes my computer crash,

Also programs do different things, or do the same things in different ways. It is well known that one program on a system can do something perfectly legal that triggers an error if some more privileged program has a bug, even if everything else always to be working well.

When your system crashed, what message did it give you? What do the system event logs say happened that caused the crash?

-- Walt

   Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.6.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

  Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

Yep, that's why I said very unlikely, and not impossible. I run dozen of programs every day, and the only app that crash my computer is affinity photo...

Games, Fusion 360, Illustrator, indesign, premiere pro... never had any crash like that. So yes, indeed Affinity trigger something that crash my computer.

Driver updated to 516.94.

I created a new document > just placed an .tif embeded file > crash 🙄

Edited by entropy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turn off hardware acceleration to see if that helps.

Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch
 - Sys : Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you also run  Capture One? Is APh set to High Performance in the graphics?

What do you see if you have Performance in  the Task Manager open? Particularly Memory and disk use wherever your virtual memory is pointed. The Resource Monitor can sometimes give an idea of where the problem is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things to try...

1.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to Warp

This will bypass the graphics card 

Let us know if it still crashes

Keep Hardware Acceleration OFF

 

2.

If you are getting no Affinity crash reports run Event Viewer immediately after the next crash and look there for any clues

If you don't know what to look for in Event Viewer. I believe you can export the logs and upload them to the forum for further analysis

 

 

R.I.P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AiDon said:

Turn off hardware acceleration to see if that helps.

Dude...

6 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Do you also run  Capture One? Is APh set to High Performance in the graphics?

What do you see if you have Performance in  the Task Manager open? Particularly Memory and disk use wherever your virtual memory is pointed. The Resource Monitor can sometimes give an idea of where the problem is.

Nope, I don't use capture one.  Where/what is this high performance setting ?

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Things to try...

1.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to Warp

This will bypass the graphics card 

Let us know if it still crashes

Keep Hardware Acceleration OFF

 

2.

If you are getting no Affinity crash reports run Event Viewer immediately after the next crash and look there for any clues

If you don't know what to look for in Event Viewer. I believe you can export the logs and upload them to the forum for further analysis

 

 

Yes, I'm going to try this.

I already checked the event viewer and there is a critical error recorded.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>8</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-08-11T21:41:23.3477278Z" />
  <EventRecordID>1331</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>VERDI</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
  <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
  <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">1</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
  <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">1</Data>
  <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It still crashes :S

Is it possible that this problem is related to .tif files?

Could someone try to open my afphoto file (there is a .tif file embedded inside). And try to play with adjustement layers/zoom and other tools to check if it crashes or something.

 

(If someone want to try i'll send the file via dm)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Hi @entropywelcome to the forums,

Have you perhaps considered this problem from a hardware perspective? Affinity can push your PC quite hard depending on what task is being performed and it is quite irregular for a complete system shutdown to occur which the Kernel Power event indicates.

Could you try setting the application core/threads affinity from 16 to around 8 or 6 in task manager for Photo before trying any of your workflows? Another user encountered a very similar issue in the below thread.

Also, have you tried running any CPU stress tests such as Prime95 to see if the problem relates to temperature, voltages etc?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Hi @entropywelcome to the forums,

Have you perhaps considered this problem from a hardware perspective? Affinity can push your PC quite hard depending on what task is being performed and it is quite irregular for a complete system shutdown to occur which the Kernel Power event indicates.

Could you try setting the application core/threads affinity from 16 to around 8 or 6 in task manager for Photo before trying any of your workflows? Another user encountered a very similar issue in the below thread.

Also, have you tried running any CPU stress tests such as Prime95 to see if the problem relates to temperature, voltages etc?

 

Hi, I set Affinity to 6 threads ( my cpu is a 16 threads processor : 8cores/16 threads), For now, it seems to works without crash. Turned back on hw acceleration.

My temps are really low, never above 65°C, and I have a good cooling system. As I've indicated, I used to run intensives tasks and programs without any issue. From games, to 4k encoding to 3D programs.


Do you think it's possible that .tif files or big files in Affinity trigger something ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, entropy said:

My temps are really low, never above 65°C, and I have a good cooling system. As I've indicated, I used to run intensives tasks and programs without any issue. From games, to 4k encoding to 3D programs.

Not all 3D applications will push your CPU to 100% usage which I've had Affinity do before (typically with some live filters) which is why I mentioned trying Prime95 as a proper stress/torture test, but fair enough.

15 minutes ago, entropy said:

Do you think it's possible that .tif files or big files in Affinity trigger something ?

If you could send me a sample of some of the files you're working with I'll take a look on my PC (also Ryzen based) and compare. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, entropy said:

It still crashes :S

Is it possible that this problem is related to .tif files?

Could someone try to open my afphoto file (there is a .tif file embedded inside). And try to play with adjustement layers/zoom and other tools to check if it crashes or something.

 

(If someone want to try i'll send the file via dm)

Doubt its tiff files. I do my raw processing in another app and send tiffs to APh all  the time. 

Have you looked here

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, but read my first post, it's the first thing I did.

Btw Designer also crashed just with a small webp image.

Just for information I ran Prime95 for hours (16 threads 100% cpu L1/L2/L3 max power) without any issue. And I don't have time for further investigations for the moment.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I have also run into this problem. Affinity Photo has worked fine until now - can it have anytning to do with the latest windows update?

I have had no problem until now and I have no problems with designer or publisher.

I've tried everything above and it doesn't solve my problem. I have no external graphics card in my laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jofen said:

I have also run into this problem. Affinity Photo has worked fine until now - can it have anytning to do with the latest windows update?

I have had no problem until now and I have no problems with designer or publisher.

I've tried everything above and it doesn't solve my problem. I have no external graphics card in my laptop.

I've just run into the same issues. Tried everything above and none of my affinity products load beyond the title screen. I've also tried loading older versions that did work and still nothing changes. I'm starting to think it has to do with the latest windows update. My Adobe Creative Suite programs (Aero, Photoshop Express) and AutoCAD and SketchUp that load and work perfectly fine on my laptop. Every program is functioning except Affinity. Does Affinity need to create a patch or something for this? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 5:34 PM, holtsy said:

I've just run into the same issues. Tried everything above and none of my affinity products load beyond the title screen. I've also tried loading older versions that did work and still nothing changes. I'm starting to think it has to do with the latest windows update. My Adobe Creative Suite programs (Aero, Photoshop Express) and AutoCAD and SketchUp that load and work perfectly fine on my laptop. Every program is functioning except Affinity. Does Affinity need to create a patch or something for this? 

Yes, unfortunately the only thing Affinity do is to provide tricks user side. No software update.
Today I found new bug, I had to spend time for investigation (as usual), in order to be able to work. Now I have to uninstall windows updates.

Yes, when there is a bug, the job is always for the user, I have to adapt my OS/computer to affinity products.  

Why affinity don't push a software update when there are known bugs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe instead of focusing on hardware/software problems, you better state the exact situation of the file and the actions you do when it crashes.
If this is a bug related to this action the dev's would like it to be reported and can have look into this, to get resolved.
So a screencast and an example file would make more sense than a crashdump or just blatantly blaming the software.

N.P.M. ==  Non Participating Member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please don't pretend you don't understand what I mean.

My point is that is not my job to find/apply workarounds every times something goes wrong, in order to use my Affinity products.

For exemple, is it my job to set CPU threads limit every time I want to use photo because photo crashes with 16 threads ? Or uninstall windows updates ?

I did what I could to help, and i'm not the only one with this issue, so now that the problem has been identified (like many others). How long do we need to wait for a patch ?

When was the last time Affinity products were patched?  

Why a company like Serif, that is not as convoluted as adobe I guess/hope, is not able to provide regular patches and updates for their products ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

I do know exactly what you mean, you don't want updates and bugfixes but you do want it fixed but it isn't you that needs to do the stuff to get it fixed.
Is this about right?

It's really funny indeed, I guess you don't rely on Affinity softwares to earn money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well,I do have an older machine with win10 and HW on and no crashes and no system crashing.
A year or 2 back I had problems with crashes but this was due to bad sectors on my HDD since then I have a SSD.

But to be on topic again.
If you have a problem with a certain action in any software you should report this action.
It can be looked at and be resolved for you  and the others which may or may not have the exact same issue as you.
It could as well be just another issue like running double virusscanners, thirdpartysoftware that does conflict, not enough power to support the hardware.
Or it might be just a user malfunction.

Guess we'll never know as it isn't your job to find out.
Good luck with your quest though.

N.P.M. ==  Non Participating Member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.