You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo keeps crashing / crash my system [W11]

Hi,

After a few days struggling to understand why affinity photo keeps crashing (it crash my whole system) I finaly decided to do a clean install of windows.

Now my operating system is brand new, there is nothing on it, and affinty photo keeps crashing, crash and reboot my computer

Ex : I open a file (afphoto file or png file), as soon as I try to do something like edit some adjustment layer : CRASH, crash and reboot.

Before that I never had any crash with affinity or whatever.

The worst, I lost a lot of time, I had to backup everything, reinstall my whole system, and it still not working.

And I still have a lot to do in order to get back my desktop environement like before... for just nothing. I have to say that i'm a bit on edge.

I have to work, I mean for my job, but i'm stuck...

Additional informations :

Windows 11 pro 21H2
Build 22000.856
Ryzen 7 2700X
GTX 1060 6go
32go

Hardware acceleration : OFF

No crash dump  (AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports), folder is empty...

Edited by entropy

1 hour ago, entropy said:

Now my operating system is brand new, there is nothing on it, and affinty photo keeps crashing, crash and reboot my computer

Crashes like that are usually a sign of an OS error, a driver error, or a hardware error. An application such as Affinity Photo can't cause them directly; that takes hardware or something running at the system level.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Crashes like that are usually a sign of an OS error, a driver error, or a hardware error. An application such as Affinity Photo can't cause them directly; that takes hardware or something running at the system level.

It's very very unlikely, seems to be clearly Affinity related, as it's the only program that makes my computer crash, everything run butter smooth 8hours/day,  I play CSGO for hours at 200+ fps without any issue.

27 minutes ago, Subclavius said:

Hi @entropy

Are your graphics drivers up to date?  If Windows is crashing, this suggests to me a problem with the drivers rather than Affinity Photo.  The latest version according to the NVIDIA website is studio driver 516.94

My last drivers before clean install was studio 516.59, i'll give a try to the 516.94 drivers.

29 minutes ago, entropy said:

It's very very unlikely, seems to be clearly Affinity related, as it's the only program that makes my computer crash,

Also programs do different things, or do the same things in different ways. It is well known that one program on a system can do something perfectly legal that triggers an error if some more privileged program has a bug, even if everything else always to be working well.

When your system crashed, what message did it give you? What do the system event logs say happened that caused the crash?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yep, that's why I said very unlikely, and not impossible. I run dozen of programs every day, and the only app that crash my computer is affinity photo...

Games, Fusion 360, Illustrator, indesign, premiere pro... never had any crash like that. So yes, indeed Affinity trigger something that crash my computer.

Driver updated to 516.94.

I created a new document > just placed an .tif embeded file > crash 🙄

Edited by entropy

Turn off hardware acceleration to see if that helps.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Do you also run  Capture One? Is APh set to High Performance in the graphics?

What do you see if you have Performance in  the Task Manager open? Particularly Memory and disk use wherever your virtual memory is pointed. The Resource Monitor can sometimes give an idea of where the problem is.

Things to try...

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to Warp

This will bypass the graphics card 

Let us know if it still crashes

Keep Hardware Acceleration OFF

If you are getting no Affinity crash reports run Event Viewer immediately after the next crash and look there for any clues

If you don't know what to look for in Event Viewer. I believe you can export the logs and upload them to the forum for further analysis

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, AiDon said:

Turn off hardware acceleration to see if that helps.

Dude...

6 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Do you also run  Capture One? Is APh set to High Performance in the graphics?

What do you see if you have Performance in  the Task Manager open? Particularly Memory and disk use wherever your virtual memory is pointed. The Resource Monitor can sometimes give an idea of where the problem is.

Nope, I don't use capture one.  Where/what is this high performance setting ?

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Things to try...

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to Warp

This will bypass the graphics card 

Let us know if it still crashes

Keep Hardware Acceleration OFF

If you are getting no Affinity crash reports run Event Viewer immediately after the next crash and look there for any clues

If you don't know what to look for in Event Viewer. I believe you can export the logs and upload them to the forum for further analysis

Yes, I'm going to try this.

I already checked the event viewer and there is a critical error recorded.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>8</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-08-11T21:41:23.3477278Z" />
  <EventRecordID>1331</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>VERDI</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
  <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
  <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">1</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
  <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">1</Data>
  <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

It still crashes :S

Is it possible that this problem is related to .tif files?

Could someone try to open my afphoto file (there is a .tif file embedded inside). And try to play with adjustement layers/zoom and other tools to check if it crashes or something.

(If someone want to try i'll send the file via dm)

• Staff

Hi @entropywelcome to the forums,

Have you perhaps considered this problem from a hardware perspective? Affinity can push your PC quite hard depending on what task is being performed and it is quite irregular for a complete system shutdown to occur which the Kernel Power event indicates.

Could you try setting the application core/threads affinity from 16 to around 8 or 6 in task manager for Photo before trying any of your workflows? Another user encountered a very similar issue in the below thread.

Also, have you tried running any CPU stress tests such as Prime95 to see if the problem relates to temperature, voltages etc?

46 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Hi @entropywelcome to the forums,

Have you perhaps considered this problem from a hardware perspective? Affinity can push your PC quite hard depending on what task is being performed and it is quite irregular for a complete system shutdown to occur which the Kernel Power event indicates.

Could you try setting the application core/threads affinity from 16 to around 8 or 6 in task manager for Photo before trying any of your workflows? Another user encountered a very similar issue in the below thread.

Also, have you tried running any CPU stress tests such as Prime95 to see if the problem relates to temperature, voltages etc?

Hi, I set Affinity to 6 threads ( my cpu is a 16 threads processor : 8cores/16 threads), For now, it seems to works without crash. Turned back on hw acceleration.

My temps are really low, never above 65°C, and I have a good cooling system. As I've indicated, I used to run intensives tasks and programs without any issue. From games, to 4k encoding to 3D programs.

Do you think it's possible that .tif files or big files in Affinity trigger something ?

• Staff
15 minutes ago, entropy said:

My temps are really low, never above 65°C, and I have a good cooling system. As I've indicated, I used to run intensives tasks and programs without any issue. From games, to 4k encoding to 3D programs.

Not all 3D applications will push your CPU to 100% usage which I've had Affinity do before (typically with some live filters) which is why I mentioned trying Prime95 as a proper stress/torture test, but fair enough.

15 minutes ago, entropy said:

Do you think it's possible that .tif files or big files in Affinity trigger something ?

If you could send me a sample of some of the files you're working with I'll take a look on my PC (also Ryzen based) and compare. 🙂

3 hours ago, entropy said:

It still crashes :S

Is it possible that this problem is related to .tif files?

Could someone try to open my afphoto file (there is a .tif file embedded inside). And try to play with adjustement layers/zoom and other tools to check if it crashes or something.

(If someone want to try i'll send the file via dm)

Doubt its tiff files. I do my raw processing in another app and send tiffs to APh all  the time. 

Have you looked here

Thank you, but read my first post, it's the first thing I did.

Btw Designer also crashed just with a small webp image.

Just for information I ran Prime95 for hours (16 threads 100% cpu L1/L2/L3 max power) without any issue. And I don't have time for further investigations for the moment.

• 1 month later...

I have also run into this problem. Affinity Photo has worked fine until now - can it have anytning to do with the latest windows update?

I have had no problem until now and I have no problems with designer or publisher.

I've tried everything above and it doesn't solve my problem. I have no external graphics card in my laptop.

16 hours ago, Jofen said:

I have also run into this problem. Affinity Photo has worked fine until now - can it have anytning to do with the latest windows update?

I have had no problem until now and I have no problems with designer or publisher.

I've tried everything above and it doesn't solve my problem. I have no external graphics card in my laptop.

I've just run into the same issues. Tried everything above and none of my affinity products load beyond the title screen. I've also tried loading older versions that did work and still nothing changes. I'm starting to think it has to do with the latest windows update. My Adobe Creative Suite programs (Aero, Photoshop Express) and AutoCAD and SketchUp that load and work perfectly fine on my laptop. Every program is functioning except Affinity. Does Affinity need to create a patch or something for this? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 5:34 PM, holtsy said:

I've just run into the same issues. Tried everything above and none of my affinity products load beyond the title screen. I've also tried loading older versions that did work and still nothing changes. I'm starting to think it has to do with the latest windows update. My Adobe Creative Suite programs (Aero, Photoshop Express) and AutoCAD and SketchUp that load and work perfectly fine on my laptop. Every program is functioning except Affinity. Does Affinity need to create a patch or something for this? 

Yes, unfortunately the only thing Affinity do is to provide tricks user side. No software update.
Today I found new bug, I had to spend time for investigation (as usual), in order to be able to work. Now I have to uninstall windows updates.

Yes, when there is a bug, the job is always for the user, I have to adapt my OS/computer to affinity products.  

Why affinity don't push a software update when there are known bugs?

Please don't pretend you don't understand what I mean.

My point is that is not my job to find/apply workarounds every times something goes wrong, in order to use my Affinity products.

For exemple, is it my job to set CPU threads limit every time I want to use photo because photo crashes with 16 threads ? Or uninstall windows updates ?

I did what I could to help, and i'm not the only one with this issue, so now that the problem has been identified (like many others). How long do we need to wait for a patch ?

When was the last time Affinity products were patched?  

Why a company like Serif, that is not as convoluted as adobe I guess/hope, is not able to provide regular patches and updates for their products ?

11 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

I do know exactly what you mean, you don't want updates and bugfixes but you do want it fixed but it isn't you that needs to do the stuff to get it fixed.
Is this about right?

It's really funny indeed, I guess you don't rely on Affinity softwares to earn money.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, entropy said:

It's very very unlikely, seems to be clearly Affinity related, as it's the only program that makes my computer crash, everything run butter smooth 8hours/day,  I play CSGO for hours at 200+ fps without any issue.

Different applications use different system functions, and it is fairly common for Microsoft to release Windows updates that break some, but not all, applications.

In this particular case, if you do a web search for Windows 10 KB5017262 crash you will find reports of other applications that use WPF (as the Affinity applications do) crashing after this .Net update. The same crashes would be likely on Windows 11, with KB5017264, so this is most likely just another bad Microsoft update to Windows.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

As previously confirmed in this thread:

On 8/11/2022 at 9:05 PM, walt.farrell said:

Therefore there is no 'update' that our developers could provide for the Affinity apps to address this specific issue on your machine. The Affinity apps are unable to directly cause your computer to 'bluescreen' or reboot, so I'm not sure how you believe this could be fixed with an application update.

This issue isn't affecting all other users, meaning it's localised to your hardware/system and might be an indication of a wider issue with your machine.

In regards to other applications working as expected, no two apps are coded the same or use the same functions, libraries and PC hardware. Although Affinity may be the only app that demonstrates this issue, it does not mean that Affinity is the direct cause.

We're very sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues, but as stated above this isn't something we could address on your machine with an update for Affinity.

1 hour ago, entropy said:

Why affinity don't push a software update when there are known bugs?

Our head of QA has confirmed the following in a separate thread:

On 7/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry, we are focussing our efforts on a major release (new features and fixes) and consequently have not done any minor patches for a long time

We hope to have more information regarding this next release to share shortly.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

47 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Well,I do have an older machine with win10 and HW on and no crashes and no system crashing.
A year or 2 back I had problems with crashes but this was due to bad sectors on my HDD since then I have a SSD.

But to be on topic again.
If you have a problem with a certain action in any software you should report this action.
It can be looked at and be resolved for you  and the others which may or may not have the exact same issue as you.
It could as well be just another issue like running double virusscanners, thirdpartysoftware that does conflict, not enough power to support the hardware.
Or it might be just a user malfunction.

Guess we'll never know as it isn't your job to find out.
Good luck with your quest though.

You could have at least read the whole topic, because it sounds like a bot answer.

Oh wait, maybe I should turn off HW acceleration ? 🙂

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Different applications use different system functions, and it is fairly common for Microsoft to release Windows updates that break some, but not all, applications.

In this particular case, if you do a web search for Windows 10 KB5017262 crash you will find reports of other applications that use WPF (as the Affinity applications do) crashing after this .Net update. The same crashes would be likely on Windows 11, with KB5017264, so this is most likely just another bad Microsoft update to Windows.

and unfortunatelly it breaks only Affinity products and not other 3D or photo editing softwares, games, dev tools or whatever...

Everything run flawlessly, really unlucky.

35 minutes ago, Dan C said:

but as stated above this isn't something we could address on your machine with an update for Affinity.

Our head of QA has confirmed the following in a separate thread:

We hope to have more information regarding this next release to share shortly.

Thank you, but i'm not that much stupid, like if I asked for a patch just for me.  When I read threads on this forum, it's always same, all problems are unique, and user sided, and never directly related to your products, so that's why there is no patches, please, be serious.

It's now clear that I should'nt expect patches, but just wait for a major release. At least thank you for this information.

I don't think it's useful to dwell on the topic, so, w&s.