You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom Stylus Behaviour Question

Let me first say this isn't an Affinity bug. If anything, it's more related to the Wacom Driver set, but may just be "one of those things" :) . I'm using a Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (non-touch) on an iMac 27 (Monterey). I've noticed that when I click on the tool bar flyouts with the stylus, unless I keep my stylus applied to the tool icon, the flyout closes as though the touching of it is a toggle. When clicking on the triangle or clicking and holding for a second on the tool icon using the trackpad, the flyout stays open until you select your tool. The latter is how I prefer it to work. I have looked (via the Search function here) to see if anyone else has run into this specific issue but didn't find any answers on this question (lots of others though 😋). Does anyone know if the stylus can be programmed in such a way that it will act more like a mouse/trackpad click and not like a spring-loaded click? I suspect not but I thought I'd ask anyway. I've seen "odd" (and I'm not sure this even qualifies as "odd") behaviour from my Wacom products in most apps, which is why I seriously doubt this is an Affinity thing. Thanks a bunch.

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

https://glennsart.myportfolio.com

@Glennsart,

I too see this occasionally. I have the Wacom Intuos Pro L and it does have touch. I am running the most recent drivers. A quit and start again may be the solution but as I only see this once in a while it could just be me being inaccurate and you could be having a different problem. In addition there is a persistent bug regarding the use of the pen to click on and run any macro in Photo which has everyone baffled, it just doesn't work. I went so far as to program a button on the tablet to be a 'Click' so now I hover, using the pen, and hit that button on the tablet.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Ahh, thanks for this @Old Bruce. It sort of sounds like the same issue. I know the Intuos and the Cintiq use the same driver set so most likely it's the same issue. In my case the problem is persistent. That's a great idea though, programming a click on the button. I have the EK Remote for the Cintiq, which I basically stopped using in Ps since it tends to cause a modifier key to "stick" (electronically). However, I think I will give that another go using Affinity as it might have been Ps related. Either way, programming a click on one of the buttons should not cause any problems at all that way.

Thanks a bunch for this. Appreciate your time :) .

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

• 3 weeks later...

@Old Bruce - FYI, just found the "key" to this. If you click directly on the disclosure triangle with your pen, the window will stay open. If you click on the tool icon itself, then it's spring loaded. It's a bit tricky, but I kind of like it. If you're in a hurry, you can simply slide the pen across to the drop down window, select the tool, then it "springs" closed without you having to click away. Anyway, old thread but I thought I'd share the info with you :) .

14 minutes ago, Glennsart said:

FYI, just found the "key" to this. If you click directly on the disclosure triangle with your pen, the window will stay open. If you click on the tool icon itself, then it's spring loaded. It's a bit tricky, but I kind of like it.

I say to myself "That is not how it works." I try it out... Wow. Spring-loaded with a click + hold. I have never noticed that. Thanks a lot for the information, hopefully I can remember it and get it into my muscle memory.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:
2 hours ago, Glennsart said:

FYI, just found the "key" to this. If you click directly on the disclosure triangle with your pen, the window will stay open. If you click on the tool icon itself, then it's spring loaded. It's a bit tricky, but I kind of like it.

I say to myself "That is not how it works." I try it out... Wow. Spring-loaded with a click + hold. I have never noticed that. Thanks a lot for the information, hopefully I can remember it and get it into my muscle memory.

FYIW, the behaviour is the same with trackpad and mouse.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

FYIW, the behaviour is the same with trackpad and mouse.

Yeah, that's actually how I found it 🤣. I noticed it sometimes stayed open when I clicked on it with the trackpad, so I started playing around with it, and voila! Now, if I could only find the key for the next lottery draw... 🤔