You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes randomly when using undo shortcut just after drawing with drawing tablet

Hi,

I have been experiencing some issues with Affinity Photo while using it for digital art.

I am running Affinity Photo version 1.10.5.1342 on Windows 11

I have a ryzen 7 3700x CPU and an NVIDIA RTX 2080 GPU

I am using a drawing tablet (XP-Pen Star 03 V2) and am drawing using it on your software. The crash happens no matter the selected mode (low, high or windows ink). In all cases using the undo shortcut just after drawing with the tablet can make the entire software suddenly close.

Attached to this post are three recent crash logs to help troubleshoot the issue

8ca3abf4-24f5-429f-a028-ac8fe9d85d1c.dmp eeeaff53-e2e0-402b-b815-e47005da756b.dmp 3efcbf17-d328-49bb-870c-d7a8a05743c7.dmp

Edited by SeleDreams
typo in drawing tablet name

• Staff

Hi @SeleDreams,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Firstly, I recommend making sure your GPU & drawing tablet drivers are up to date, directly from the manufacturers website as outdated drivers can cause crashing.

Secondly, within the XP pen driver, do you have Windows Ink enabled? As this is a separate option from within Affinity.

Finally, can you please open Affinity Photo and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me!

I'd recommend disabling Hardware Acceleration within Affinitys Preferences, as well as disabling Windows INK within the driver.

Restart the Affinity app once changing these settings and try using your tablet once again.

Does this reduce the crashing behaviour please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for confirming that for me!

I'd recommend disabling Hardware Acceleration within Affinitys Preferences, as well as disabling Windows INK within the driver.

Restart the Affinity app once changing these settings and try using your tablet once again.

Does this reduce the crashing behaviour please? :)

At the moment I haven't got new crashes, but the crashes were really random so I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed, I'd still recommend to check the crash dumps I sent

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know, please do keep us updated should these issues return.

30 minutes ago, SeleDreams said:

I'd still recommend to check the crash dumps I sent

I can confirm I debugged these reports before offering the above advice, as can be seen in the below call stack, references are made to win32u.dll, ntdll.dll (which are both used when Windows Ink is enabled) and nvopencl64.dll, which is used when hardware acceleration is active - hence the suggestions made :)

image.png

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

That's correct, other applications will also use this .dll, but as it's showing in this specific call stack it appears to be related to Affinitys interaction with the drawing tablet, which is currently happening through Windows Ink.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know - I'll be sure to inform our team of this. If known, what version of Nvidia drivers are in use on your PC please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for the new report provided and I'm sorry to hear the app is still crashing for you.

Can you please confirm for me, was the above crash following the Undo shortcut on your tablet, or was this during a different operation?

Please note -

Many thanks!

Just now, Dan C said:

Thanks for the new report provided and I'm sorry to hear the app is still crashing for you.

Can you please confirm for me, was the above crash following the Undo shortcut on your tablet, or was this during a different operation?

Yes, in all cases where affinity crashed it was while using the undo shortcut on my tablet (ctrl+z)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming - I'm in the process of testing further with an XP tablet here (Deco 03), but in the meantime are you able to recreate this crash if you use the direct keyboard shortcut for undo (CTRL+Z) rather than the shortcut key on your tablet?

Also just to confirm, have you previously installed other tablet drivers on your device that may be interfering with the current driver? For example a driver for another model of drawing tablet, such as Wacom, Huion etc.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me, I've since been able to replicate this in Affinity when using the XP pen shortcut.

If I hit the Undo shortcut whilst painting, the app crashes. I've not yet been able to crash the app shortly after painting, so I suspect you are seeing this crash when using Undo during the painting of the pixel stroke.

Therefore I'm getting this logged as a bug with our developers now - unfortunately none of the setting changes seems to resolve this at this time, my apologies.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!