You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform - Moving by Inches

Hello! I'm working with a document using inches, and when I move objects using the transform window it defaults to move by full inches (1" > 2"). In Adobe when you hit the up or down arrow in the transform window it will increase by (.0625") making small alignment easy. I am not asking about the nudge preferences, as I find moving that way to be imprecise, but I still like the increments of (.01") for very small adjustment. Screenshots attached. I apologize if this question has already been asked before.

Transform 01.jpg

Transform 02.jpg

4 hours ago, Summerday Sands said:

but I still like the increments of (.01") for very small adjustment.

The CTRL & Shift keys affect the nudge distance

and the precise nudge distance can be set in Edit > Preferences > Tools

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Summerday Sands said:

I'd like to know if it's possible in the transform window so I can align to the page

I can confirm the Transform Studio will always increment in full '1' values when using the arrow keys without a modifier. As Carl mentions above, if you hold Shift and use the arrow keys, it will jump in increments of '10'. If you hold CTRL then use the arrow keys, it will move in increments of '0.1'.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm the Transform Studio will always increment in full '1' values when using the arrow keys without a modifier. As Carl mentions above, if you hold Shift and use the arrow keys, it will jump in increments of '10'. If you hold CTRL then use the arrow keys, it will move in increments of '0.1'.

I hope this clears things up :)

Here on Mac OS 11.6.8 

Arrow key single digit.                         1

Option + Arrow key tenths of a unit.    0.1

Shift + Option + Arrow key Ten units.   10.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Understood. Unfortunately since inches are not a base 10 system this is not as helpful as I'd like. Would I have to request this as a feature? Inches are commonly divided into 1/16 (.0625), 1/8 (.125), 1/4 (.25), and 1/2 (.5) fractions. I dislike the US imperial measurement system, but I still have to deal with it. Womp womp.

• Staff

I will move this thread to the Feedback section of the forums for our devs to consider changing this in a future update - currently these fields aren't unit aware, and change in the same increments regardless of which units are in use for the document, though I can certainly see how increments of 1/16ths would be more useful for inches :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)