You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher text field position auto update

I have a document in Publisher with text fields flowing from page to page with over a hundred pages. The problem is if I add an additional page the text fields on the pages that come after the added page are not kept in place but moved off to the left or right. Why is it not keeping the text field in place or within the purple/pinkish lines? When I used ID before it would automatically adjust.

• Staff

Hi @Scoot,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! If possible, can you please provide a screen recording showing the exact steps you're taking and the unwanted results you see?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I've been doing some investigating and experiments and in the process discovered what the problem is, but now I need to figure out how to solve it in as simple a way as possible. The problem is this document was converted over from InDesign via IDMarkz. When this was done it didn't associate the text fields with the master page, so the text fields are free floating and not constrained by the master page. When I created a new document with the same dimensions and new master page with text field I copied a sample text into the document text field and it flowed fine. Then I tried creating a new page and the text fields already created and associated with the master page stayed in place. Now I need to figure out how to correct this for a document I already have without having to copy and paste every section of the entire document. 

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know!

I'd like to request a copy of the .afpub file shown in your screen recording - so I can replicate this issue here and log it with our developers - as even without being associated with a Master Page, I would not expect these objects to move when adding a page.

Can you please upload this document to the below link for me, then reply here to let me know once this has been done?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/I06qjsajfxmn6tcclzAU

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Okay, I've uploaded another document that is very similar, has the same problem, and I've included some graphics which are on the master page. There are other images associated with the file, but you probably don't need those for your purposes.

I'm still experimenting and noticed something else very strange. I created another document in Publisher (doc 2) and created a nearly identical master page for it like doc 1; then I tried importing the text styles from the other document (doc 1), one converted to Publisher from InDesign via IDMarkz, and the results were not as expected. At first it looked fine until I tried copying and pasting in the text from doc 1 to doc 2. What Publisher did was it reassigned a new, but similar, name to paragraph styles of the pasted text. Then when I did a find and replace of the paragraph styles created with the paragraph styles imported I discovered the imported text styles were not the same as in the original file they were exported from. Something is wrong with the files IDMarkz creates and I don't have the technical skills to figure it out.

3 hours ago, Scoot said:

I have a document in Publisher with text fields flowing from page to page with over a hundred pages. ...

1 hour ago, Scoot said:

...The problem is this document was converted over from InDesign via IDMarkz. When this was done it didn't associate the text fields with the master page, so the text fields are free floating and not constrained by the master page. ...

Make a new Publisher document. Make some Master/Parent pages with text frames.

Open the IDMarkz document and copy the text and paste it into the new document. It will save you a lot of problems.

This will work because the text is flowing. Other elements will need to be copied and pasted as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

40 minutes ago, Dan C said:

even without being associated with a Master Page, I would not expect these objects to move when adding a page

I don’t think the text frames are moving per se - but by inserting one page, a LH page becomes RH and vice versa.  So what was inner margin becomes outer margin (and vice versa), which makes it look like they moved.

The Master/Parent pages are going to need to be reapplied to the pages after the New Page. That should sort out the "moving" text frames.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me!

As mentioned above, I can see these frames are moving due to their placement on the previous page, and not being associated with a master page;

42 minutes ago, pbasdf said:

by inserting one page, a LH page becomes RH and vice versa.  So what was inner margin becomes outer margin (and vice versa), which makes it look like they moved.

Unfortunately the only way I'm aware of to change this behaviour would be to add linked Text Frames to each page on the Master A spread, then copy and paste the text from the frames on each page, into the master frames.

This would then mean when adding a page, the content would re-flow as expected and not appear to visually 'shift', my apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this.

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately the only way I'm aware of to change this behaviour would be to add linked Text Frames to each page on the Master A spread, then copy and paste the text from the frames on each page, into the master frames.

This would then mean when adding a page, the content would re-flow as expected and not appear to visually 'shift', my apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this.

Yes Dan you're right. The trouble is this process would be very tedious as it's a large document. Additionally because of other problems existing in the Publisher document IDMarkz created I'm reluctant to putting any more time into this document.

• Staff

I'm certainly sorry to hear this - I have been testing various methods however it appears as though the only option at this time would be to manually recreate these text frames on a Master, my sincerest apologies.

5 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Also if I simply create a text field in the master and link the one text field on one page to the text field on the opposite page the text that goes in is all shrank

This can occur if the text frame has been 're-scaled' (not resized) using the detached bounding box handle -

image.png

Once a text frame has been scaled in this way, any flowing text may appear at a different size. I'd recommend simply deleting this text frame on the Master Page, and then redrawing & relinking the frame, without using this scaling handle :)

• Staff

Unfortunately there's no may to manually change or reset this scaling value at this time, once it has been applied to a text frame

2 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Is there a way to reset the text box?

Easiest is to replace it, make a new text frame, size and location are not important for this first step, flow the text into the new one.