You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing PDF Export features

I really need to export a PDF with a TOC navigation panel to the left, as well as exporting all pages individually but retaining their full spread double page layout.

It onlt seem to be able to export PDFs as either separate pages with no spread layout or full page spreads as pages?

Seems like I am unable to find some of the most basic functionality of pdf exports even if I enable "advanced settings" during the export. Really strange, since even open source DTP:s like LibreOffice and OpenOffice has such functionality.

Welcome to the forums @Motljus

See attached image to see how to get a PDF TOC navigation menu.

I don’t know what you mean by both “individually” and “full spread double page layout” at the same time.
Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to achieve with the spreads/pages? A visual example would be good.

image.png.69c08ecd26f8a572e3f5ddb7aefb7801.png

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Motljus

See attached image to see how to get a PDF TOC navigation menu.

I don’t know what you mean by both “individually” and “full spread double page layout” at the same time.
Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to achieve with the spreads/pages? A visual example would be good.

Thanks!

Strange to have that pdf setting there and not in the pdf export settings, but thanks for showing me how to find it. I also don't seem to fully control it, since it exports more TOC headlines than my TOC displays and in stranger order.

However, what I mean with exporting pages layouted as spreads, is that currently you are either able to export single pages with (All pages) or spread layout (All spreads) where each spread is exported as a single page. What I really need is to still export each page as individual pages but assign pages that belong together layouted as spreads in the viewer so that the reader still can print each page individually and view them individually if they want to.

59 minutes ago, Motljus said:

Strange to have that pdf setting there and not in the pdf export settings

I think it’s where it is because you can have multiple TOCs, and putting that setting in the Export Dialog wouldn’t give as much control or might be confusing.

I also don't seem to fully control it, since it exports more TOC headlines than my TOC displays and in stranger order.

We would need more information to help with that.
If you can attach the AFPUB document then that would be great.
If you can’t do that, some full-screen screen-shots showing your TOC Panel open while editing the TOC, and your exported PDF might help.
For this sort of ‘nitty-gritty’ issue we need as much information as we can get, otherwise it’s mostly just guessing.

What I really need is to still export each page as individual pages but assign pages that belong together layouted as spreads in the viewer so that the reader still can print each page individually and view them individually if they want to.

I think I know the functionality you mean and, off the top of my head, I don’t think that’s possible within Publisher at the moment.

Thanks for the quick answers!

I can't however really upload the file pubclically since it is a commercial document.

The TOC in the PDF navigation would be great if one could select which TOC to use, or at least be able to select which headlines to ignore and to include. Right now I both have a ton of headlines spamming my PDF navigation that aren't showing up in my actual TOC because of this.

The "Heading 1" that I want to use however, are all over the place and doesn't match up with the "Heading 2"s in the text.

It seems to be cause my "Heading 1"s are in their own text layers while all the body text along with my "Heading 2"s are in the same textlayer flowing over multiple pages.

Affinity seems to match up the headlines to the correct pages but is unable to place my "Heading 1"s above the "Heading 2"s on the same page, even though the "Heading 1" text layers is above all the other text on each page, so it places each "Heading 1" somewhere random in between the "Heading 2"s on the same page.

Bug? Controllable feature?

33 minutes ago, Motljus said:

I can't however really upload the file pubclically since it is a commercial document.

That’s quite understandable.

33 minutes ago, Motljus said:

The TOC in the PDF navigation would be great if one could select which TOC to use, or at least be able to select which headlines to ignore and to include.

You can tell each TOC whether to create PDF Bookmarks.
Because of this you can, for example, have TOC1 with PDF Bookmarks for Heading1 and Heading2, and TOC2 with PDF Bookmarks for just Heading1.
If you hide the TOC2 text frame, make it invisible or put it off the page, then the on-page TOC will contain all headings and the off-page TOC will create the PDF Bookmarks for just Heading1.

I’ve attached an example AFPUB document and PDF.

Unfortunately, without some kind of visual aid, I can’t help much further with the entries being in the wrong order as I can’t picture what you have, and what you get, and what you want, and what the differences are, and so what could be wrong - there are too many possibilities.
Someone else might be able to though.

untitled.afpub Untitled.pdf

Edited by GarryP
Added examples.

The elements that I want to remove from the PDF Navigation doesn't even show up in my TOC. They were originally styled with Heading 2, but were changed to a new custom style named "No index heading" which worked fine for excluding them from the TOC automatically, but are still present in the PDF navigation for some reason and I can't seem to find any setting under paragraphs or styles wether it will be indexable, part of the toc or not.

I think you might be putting too much effort into this.

You shouldn't need to have custom styles just for PDF Bookmarks (or the removal of same).
If I was me, I would delete the existing TOC(s) and start again (in a copy of the document).

Create the first TOC which will be what you will see in the document itself (make sure that first TOC doesn’t generate PDF Bookmarks).
Then create the second TOC containing what you want for the PDF Bookmarks and make sure that one generates PDF Bookmarks, and then make that second TOC invisible.

Edited by GarryP