You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I make the inside of an ellipse transparent while keeping the text around it black?

It appears that AD and APh automatically make the form transparent when you add text on the path. However, APub retains the fill colour of the form.

So, in order to achieve the desired effect in APub, you could start with an ellipse (form tool in the left column; click on the little triangle to choose from predefined forms). Create it with the mouse to your liking (you can change its size later). Choose “no filling” for its body colour.

Now switch to the art text tool and click on the ellipse (slightly outside or inside; cursor shows ”T with wave”). In the tool bar set your choice of text colour. Then type your text.

See also this discussion

I do agree that APub's behaviour should match AD and APh in this respect.

I really don't see why there is a problem!

Although part of a suite, all three apps have different capabilities. If you want the shape to have a fill and/or a stroke it is much easier in APub than in the other apps, but it is easy to remove them in APub by using the Text Frame tab (which is not available in the other apps).

In APhoto and ADesigner the fill/stroke will disappear when you add text and you have to duplicate the shape in order to display a fill and/or stroke.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad