pentaxk

Text is rasterized when exported to PSD

Couldn't find another thread about this, sorry if it's already been addressed.

I am using Affinity photo for web design. I exported my file to psd, when I opened it in Photoshop CS6 on a mac, all the text had been rasterized. I have not tried it in Creative Cloud or on a PC.

Is this a known "issue", or was that purposeful?

I know AP is meant for photographers, but I, and others, would be using it for web design.

This is a known limitation. PSD stores text uncomposed, and since our text composition is different to Photoshop's, it is hard to be sure the text will look the same in both apps. We do plan to do this eventually, but it's not a high priority for us I'm afraid. Can you use some other export format, such as SVG or PDF for web design?

We do plan to do this eventually, but it's not a high priority for us I'm afraid.

Interoperability with Photoshop/Adobe users is a necessity for me. I stop short of saying 100% interoperability, because I know that may not be possible in the strictest sense, but inability to edit text in a PSD export is a huge hole. I was giving a serious look to Photo as a replacement for Photoshop, but this is a deal breaker. I hope you guys change your mind and make this a higher priority so I can re-evaluate Photo's suitability as a Photoshop replacement the next time I have reason to look for an alternative.

All the best.

I wouldn't give up Photo for Photoshop (ever). However, I have to keep in mind my clients - who possibly still use Photoshop & PSDs. In many cases, I need to send them an editable file. 

I have got 3 guys on my team to switch from PS to Photo (no surprise there) so to me, it isn't a PS vs Photo product dialogue but an actual issue I need to resolve. 

In Affinity Designer I've created a preset for myself that worked. Screen grab below. This helped me export files as SVG and then open them in Illustrator (without loss).

Screenshot%202016-02-13%2012.51.30.png

I haven't been able to open SVG format in Photoshop and usually PDF files exported from Designer & Photo open up merged in PS.

Even if there is a preset or a combination of selections that can give me editable text & not rasterized shapes, I think my job is done. 

Right now, I'm telling clients "I'm working on getting my PSDs to open at your end" (what I'm doing is just waiting for the next update to roll out).

That's not going to stand for long now is it. :D

Any change or movement on the text exporting topic. It the big hurdle to get my new client to adopt Affinity Designer. Editable text is on export is just one of those things that perceived as a blaring red flag for my client. If you nail this I can sell the rest easy!

PSD stores text uncomposed, and since our text composition is different to Photoshop's, it is hard to be sure the text will look the same in both apps.

I think there should be an option for this, just as there is an option to import PSD text as editable text even though it may not look correct. There will always be scenarios where editability is more important than the visual fidelity of the result.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

I agree. This is a big issue. Not being able to edit text is kinda a big deal. When I reopen it converts to bitmap. 

Even if I export as PSD and then re-open with affinity it's screwed. How this isn't high on the priority beats me.