You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replacing a pixel layer in Photo while keeping all attributes

Hi All,

I have an affinity photo file with quite a few layers, carefully aligned. Most were made in CGI, with transparent backgrounds, and adjustment layers. Quite complex by my standards!

I now have new versions of 2 of the layers, and I'd like to replace the existing layers with new versions in the exact same pixel position. The new files are the same size in pixels, exactly.

Is this possible please?

I have tried right clicking in the layer stack, but cannot see a 'replace' option.

Thanks, Nick

• Staff

Hi Starbase1, 

What software are you creating your images in? There are specific workflows and file formats that might help you simplify the process.

For example, rendering as a Multilayer EXR file in 3D software can bring through all the elements of a 3D image such as ambient occlusion, mist, depth maps, normals, as separate layers all in one single file.

With regard to replacing layers, whichever layer is at the top will be the one that is first visible, you can then alter layer settings such as the blend mode (how it interacts with the layers below it) and the opacity of the layer.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I'm creating the images in Lightwave 3d.

The actual files are PNG 32 bit with a transparency channel.

I'm not sure if your information on on layer orders is relevant to my issue? I'm happy with thje way the layers combine - in fact, that's pretty much why I want to simply replace one pixel layer with a new version, preserving everything.

Sorry if I was not clear...

Nick

45 minutes ago, Starbase1 said:

I have tried right clicking in the layer stack, but cannot see a 'replace' option.

If you placed the image on the document, they will be image layers and you will see a "Replace image" option in the context toolbar, once you select that layer

Alternatively, make a note of the x/y coordinates of the original pixel layer in the Transform panel, add your new pixel image and change the x/y coordinates to those noted previously, then delete the original pixel layer

Alternatively, give us a full screen screenshot (or document) showing the Layers panel with one of the pixel layers you want to replace selected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Ah I understand now, If you wish to replace something exactly there are a couple of things you could do, the first would be to use the replace image function on the context toolbar.

Another way would be to change the placement policy to linked (File > Placement Policy) and then your image will update once it's overwritten, meaning any change you make will be reflected in your document automatically without re-importing.

Lee

22 minutes ago, Starbase1 said:

I don't see a "replace" in the context menu?

Because you want to replace a Pixel layer, but this works only with an Image layer. Do you have also APu installed? Yes? Lucky one. Menu File > Edit in Publisher, Menu Layer > Convert (layer) to Image Resource, Replace image in APu or switch back to AP and replace image there.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

6 hours ago, joe_l said:

Because you want to replace a Pixel layer, but this works only with an Image layer. Do you have also APu installed? Yes? Lucky one. Menu File > Edit in Publisher, Menu Layer > Convert (layer) to Image Resource, Replace image in APu or switch back to AP and replace image there.

This is also in Photo. You just have to right click on the pixel layer on canvasConvert to Image Resource
(Any FX or adjustments will be rasterized though. But I don't see any in your example, so not sure if that is an issue. Replacing an Image layer with another image, however, does preserve everything)

(had to help, got a huge soft spot for Lightwave from years ago!)

7 hours ago, lacerto said:

But seems to be available only in macOS version (or might be a glitch there).

Glitch or not, it seems to work in the Mac versions of both AP & AD. The most weird or glitchy thing about it is it does not appear on the Layer menu, where the other 'convert' items are located.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, lacerto said:

But seems to be available only in macOS version (or might be a glitch there).

It seems so. I do not have any option to convert to image resource in AP on Windows.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta