You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity publisher and hanging indents for fiction book layouts.

Hi there, I searched the forums for "hanging indents" but the topics I found all seem the refer to lists, indexes, and tables. 

What I am after is "hanging indent" in the sense that the first paragraph in a new scene is not indented and subsequent paragraphs within the scene are indented normally.

That is a very basic task in typesetting for fictions books, and I know it must be somewhere but I can't find it :(

This is an example: The word Tayl after the scene change (Tayl stared ... ). Should not be indented ... 

Help? 

Thank you :)

image.png.e86508ea92fccb4925ae33a894b4fa30.pngThe word

Hi @ HeikeT 

Go to Studio tab "Paragraph" and change the first line indend.

image.png.365b332bdc9a2855dd7906e97622f5bb.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

That would change the first line indents in all the paragraphs using that style. I only need to remove the first indent after a scene or POV change.

Usually you would expect to find something like this in "flow" settings ...  

You can set-up two paragraph styles, one with no indent for the first paragraph, and the second with the indent for the following paragraphs.
You can then tell the software to use the second style after the first style – see attached image.
However, this only works – in my experience – when you are entering text and can’t be used to format existing text. (I would be happy to learn otherwise.)

image.png.b91b4e9b141db59458bf48bd8724dc15.png

@GarryP Hmmm ... I have come to the same conclusion ... this is really bad. It's so basic typesetting for books that even Scrivener (not a layout app at all) has found a way to do this ... 

Ah well ... now I need to change the first paragraph styles in about 244 places in a 146k words manuscript ... on an old Mac book Air ... using 3 different body styles ... 

That will teach me :P 

@GarryP thank you very much for the tips on how to set up the styles! 

Why not use a line break before 'Hey or rather after retreating back. 

1037601849_ScreenShot2022-08-09at8_17_09AM.png.08a6a937877002bd2edf96e30b167ecd.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce That would outdent 'Hey...' not indent 'Tayl' :) And it is only one example in 20k lines.

I try to stick to standard formatting for dialogue, dialogue tags, and dialogue surrounds ... I guess it's a case of just going through the manuscript and make the changes as @GarryP suggested. 

For other migrating manuscripts form #Scrivener to #AffinityPublisher to create the print pdfs for KDP ... it actually is totally fine on import (text place using an RTF), and the indents are 'flattened' as you defined in Scrivener. It's when you start to tweak styles in Affinity that Affinity 'unflattens' the first paragraphs ... so there is a lesson to be learnt here, but I am not yet sure what it is :). I'll write this all up in a blog once I am finished. 

1 hour ago, HeikeT said:

@Old BruceThat would outdent 'Hey...' not indent 'Tayl' :) And it is only one example in 20k lines.

What I would do then is make a Paragraph Style called Scene Change and use on the Scene Changes. Just have no indent set for Scene Change. We can set up Keyboard shortcuts to choose Paragraph Styles so set one up for Scene Change and have its Next Style (in the Style part of the Text Styles dialog) be set to whatever the proper next style would be.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 hours ago, HeikeT said:

What I am after is "hanging indent" in the sense that the first paragraph in a new scene is not indented

How do you identify a "new scene"?  If you can prescribe some rules for that, it might be possible to prepare a Regex find/replace that applies a different paragraph style to the first paragraph.

If there is a preceding formatting that determines the use of the following non-indented style, a regular search replace could be used to apply the required non-indenting paragraph style, like below, where "Body First" is applied after Heading 1 and Break styles. In apps like InDesign and QuarkXPress scripting can be easily used (and saved for future use) to do things like this so perhaps this explains why there are no special "flattening" styling attributes.

As Publisher does not support scripting, you'd need to do these sorts of things manually but it would nevertheless be faster than going through the required paragraphs one by one. 

Btw, it is possible to apply "Paragraph Style, then Next Style" to format text blocks with multiple styles, but this does not much help here (you could apply e.g. a heading style and "Body First" in one go, but it is still slow).

@pbasdf mostly what @lacerto suggested above ... something like ...  IF paragraph EQUALS 'body style' BUT paragraph before IS NOT 'body style' THEN change paragraph = 'body style' TO paragraph = 'body style first' (sorry for the 'not so much code')

Thank you @lacerto I'll look into those options. 

I am just glad I am not the only one :)

Thank you everybody! 

4 hours ago, HeikeT said:

Ah and I see you could run such a script only once

Yes, therefore not so useful. A simple script could use this regex and check e.g. that the previous paragraph does not already have Body First styling (and add other conditions, if necessary)... but in context of Publisher manual work cannot be avoided.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 3:45 AM, HeikeT said:

Just to give some context this is how the setting looks in Scrivener ... 

I agree this would be a good addition to Publisher and avoid the need for two styles or other workarounds. I'd use it myself to avoid forgetting to use the second style so I give this request a big thumbs up.

I checked out the Scrivener user manual and it offers these relevant features. I'd use the first one myself.

• Flatten first indent: The first paragraph of the style won't be first line indented.

• Single paragraphs only: Single paragraphs of the style won't be first line indented.

• Flatten next indent: The paragraph following the paragraph in this style won't be first line indented.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)