You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Unless that is a difference between the Windows & Mac versions of the Affinity apps, I do not understand why it is not showing as a double line for you.

Assuming it should be the same for both, it must have something to do with why you can't get this to work like it should but I have no idea how to fix it, at least if you have tried the normal solutions like resetting user shortcuts via a CTRL-key start of the app.

Muy only other thought is there might be some other add-on to your system interfering with this, like something that enhances the feautures available with you mouse, but that seems very unlikely.

It is back to being a double line now. Go figure.

Thanks for the recording.

Have you checked the list of known issues with third-party apps to make sure you don't have any of them installed?

Have you updated your mouse and graphics drivers? What kind of mouse do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the recording.

Have you checked the list of known issues with third-party apps to make sure you don't have any of them installed?

Have you updated your mouse and graphics drivers? What kind of mouse do you have?

I have none of those Third Party applications.

My mouse is a Steel Series Rival 100 and it checks for updates automatically every day. Also, it works fine apart from dragging those Affinity tabs and panels.

13 hours ago, marble51 said:

My mouse is a Steel Series Rival 100 and it checks for updates automatically every day. Also, it works fine apart from dragging those Affinity tabs and panels.

Do you have a plain vanilla mouse you could try instead of a 'gaming' mouse?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Do you have a plain vanilla mouse you could try instead of a 'gaming' mouse?

No. I bought this when my old "vanilla" mouse died. I bought it because of reviews saying it was a good quality mouse, not because it claimed to be a gaming mouse. I am not a gamer. It works perectly well in all my other applications. It works in Affinity other than the the problem described here. Another point that comes to mind which suggests that the mouse is not the problem is that if you watch the screen capture above you will see that I am able to move the tabs only after clicking the corner icon. Why would a mouse suddenly change behaviour after selecting that icon? Surely if it has a problem dragging those tabs it would have that problem whether or not I clicked that icon?

Oh damn ... of course I should have mentioned that I do have an alternative to the mouse. I have a pen. My second monitor is an XP-Pen Graphics Display. I have not yet got into the habit of using it a lot but I do use it for more detailled drawing and selection, etc. I have just confirmed that the same problem is there whether I use the mouse or the pen.

Edited by marble51
Additional information

2 hours ago, marble51 said:

Oh damn ... of course I should have mentioned that I do have an alternative to the mouse. I have a pen. My second monitor is an XP-Pen Graphics Display.

It probably won't make any difference but does anything change if this second display is disconnected & you restart your computer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It probably won't make any difference but does anything change if this second display is disconnected & you restart your computer?

Well I tried your suggestion but as you suspected - it made no difference. I may well have to resort to a complete uninstall of Affinity but I need to be sure I have removed all traces (user prefrerences, registry entries, etc.) before I re-install. Is there a document explaining how to do this?

• 3 months later...

Just to update this thread ... I have now bought and installed AP version 2 and still have the same issues. Trying to organise the UI is still a PITA. For example, I have a tab labelled "Stock" which I just cannot move out of that panel window. I have to turn it off in the Window Menu but if I turn it on again it re-appears in the same place and it is impossible to move it to another panel group.

Affinity Panel.jpg

1 minute ago, marble51 said:

For example, I have a tab labelled "Stock" which I just cannot move out of that panel window.

You should be able to grab it with your mouse and drag it out.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah, we've been through this movie before (see above). It just doesn't work for me. I don't know why my installation (Windows 10) is so different to anyone else here but the drag is not working as it should. I can click and drag the word "Stock" all day and, although I can move it along the panel (change its position) I can't move it out or to another panel. And if I click the little vertical line in the corner before trying to move it out, it decides to undock the panel itself and move it around.

What about going to Wndows > Stock and unchecking it? Or Go to Windows > Studio > Reset Studio?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 hours ago, marble51 said:

Yeah, we've been through this movie before (see above). It just doesn't work for me.

What specifically happens when you try to drag the Stock tab out horizontally past the edge of the Studio panel group it is in into the workspace area?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

What specifically happens when you try to drag the Stock tab out horizontally past the edge of the Studio panel group it is in into the workspace area?

What happens is that the whole panel moves and becomes un-docked. I can re-dock it again but can't move the Stock tab outside the panel. Here's a screen capture but for some reason, OBS doesn't capture the undocked panel although it re-appears when I re-dock it.

Edited by marble51
Add media

27 minutes ago, marble51 said:

What happens is that the whole panel moves and becomes un-docked. I can re-dock it again but can't move the Stock tab outside the panel.

Can you post a video of that, starting with moving the Stock tab to the right within the studio & without releasing the mouse pointer, pause there for a second or two, & then continuing the drag until the whole panel moves?

I am running out of ideas about why this is not working for you but does for everyone else, so maybe this will provide a clue....

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Can you post a video of that, starting with moving the Stock tab to the right within the studio & without releasing the mouse pointer, pause there for a second or two, & then continuing the drag until the whole panel moves?

I am running out of ideas about why this is not working for you but does for everyone else, so maybe this will provide a clue....

I was doing that as you were posting so I hope the attached video is what you were looking for. By the way, I tried it with another tab (the "Channels" tab) and that does the same thing - trying to move it outsdie the panel group results in the whole panel group becoming undocked.

Edited by marble51
Additional info

Your video doesn't show where the panel is moving to, or how at the end you got it back to the starting position.

Where did it move to & how did you get it back?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Your video doesn't show where the panel is moving to, or how at the end you got it back to the starting position.

Where did it move to & how did you get it back?

As I explained in my text - the screen capture software (OBS) does not capture what happens to the panel group after the tab is moved out. I don't know how to change that. (See Below) ... But I can tell you (as I have already) that the panel group becomes undocked as soon as the "Stock" tab moves out of the panel. So all I did after that was to drag the panel back to its docking position and, at that point, OBS sees it again and you can see it in the video.

Edited by marble51
Correction

7 minutes ago, marble51 said:

But I can tell you (as I have already) that the panel group becomes undocked as soon as the "Stock" tab moves out of the panel.

To where?

Affinity Photo