You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @Colin Red,

I can confirm that .JPEG & .jpg are the same, as outlined here - 

https://kinsta.com/blog/jpg-vs-jpeg/

The reason that Affinity uses JPEG in the export dialog is that this is the file format saved on Mac (which the Affinity apps were first developed for, later adding Windows support), though when creating the actual file on Windows, a .jpg is produced for the reasons outlined in the above link.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

thank you Dan,

Yes I do understand all the reasons mentioned ....... to bad there is no consistency whether to use jpeg or jpg or for that matter upper or lower case as in JPEG or JPG. I create websites and when uploading images I have to be conscious of upper or lower case and whether to use the 3 or 4 letter extension. :)

4 hours ago, Colin Red said:

I create websites and when uploading images I have to be conscious of upper or lower case and whether to use the 3 or 4 letter extension.

Why? What happens differently if you use one or the other extension, or lower or upper case?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What happens differently if you use one or the other extension, or lower or upper case?

Windows servers are case-insensitive, but servers running Linux or any *nix variant are not, so ‘farnsworth.jpg’, ‘Farnsworth.JPG’, and ‘Farnsworth.jpeg’ can (and usually do) all refer to different resources.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Windows servers are case-insensitive, but servers running Linux or any *nix variant are not, so ‘farnsworth.jpg’, ‘Farnsworth.JPG’, and ‘Farnsworth.jpeg’ can (and usually do) all refer to different resources.

Doesn't that depend on if the file system of the server is case-sensitive or not?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Doesn't that depend on if the file system of the server is case-sensitive or not?

Er … yes, that’s what I was saying, or trying to say!

12 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Windows servers are case-insensitive, but servers running Linux or any *nix variant are not

Alfred spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Er … yes, that’s what I was saying, or trying to say!

I do not know about other variants, but if the server is running on a Mac I am fairly sure it can use a file system that is not case-sensitive.

EDIT: I also do not know how relevant this old (2001) article might be but I'll share it anyway: 

On Unix File System's Case Sensitivity

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

I do not know about other variants, but if the server is running on a Mac I am fairly sure it can use a file system that is not case-sensitive.

I’m sure Macs can be used for cloud storage, but I don’t know if they are ever used as web servers.

Alfred spacer.png

I wonder what the ratio of case-insensitive Windows vs. case-sensitive Linux or (most?) other *nix variants is, but regardless, I still am not clear about how case sensitivity is an issue. After all, most web sites are built using software that does not require typing file names manually, so wouldn't that eliminate the need to keep track of the case of the filename?

Affinity Photo 

Perhaps you would consider me “Old School” but I do not use javascript or software that builds websites on a predetermined style as in say “WIX” as an example. I only use html and css and have been for the past few years. I hand code my work for the pure satisfaction of doing so. I have found that staying consistent in my work that I do not create unexpected errors or problems. I always use lowercase when in a text editor except for the obvious capitalization and in paragraphs and titles etc. My website if you like https://www.williamsartandphotography.com 

Red

2 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Perhaps you would consider me “Old School” but I do not use javascript or software that builds websites on a predetermined style as in say “WIX” as an example. I only use html and css and have been for the past few years. I hand code my work for the pure satisfaction of doing so. I have found that staying consistent in my work that I do not create unexpected errors or problems. I always use lowercase when in a text editor except for the obvious capitalization and in paragraphs and titles etc. My website if you like https://www.williamsartandphotography.com 

Red

OK, but as I understand it, since you are consistent in how you name files what problem(s) do you foresee having if you upload JPEG files using a mix of both extensions?

Affinity Photo 

.jpeg, .jpg, .JPEG and .JPG will all work fine for displaying images. There is just the problem with the extension being wrong if you are generating the code (before you make the picture file) and you consistently use .JPEG but the Affinity products are producing .jpg. To make life simple I would use the format and case in the code that Affinity produces with the exports. Otherwise it is a case (you see what I did there) of renaming the files extensions using your favourite scripting language. I would go with .jpg as it uses less ink if you are printing it, oh and old Windows servers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.