You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported image is not as good as the preview from Affinity Designer

I made a microphone with 3D effect and textures that I am really proud of.

image.jpeg.63aedc78d3547ff854de7ec72ff3f57c.jpeg

Now I want to use it in an animated video. I chose the PNG export with Transparent background. But the resulting image has lost a lot of details.

image.jpeg.044373e7a600cf3ebbc935f4ae3ab567.jpeg

I am using Affinity Designer on macOS.

Edited by DVNSH.com
Uploading smaller images for readability

The images posted are very small, without the Designer document it's going to be difficult seeing what is happening

Can you upload it to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

My first guess is that (at least some of) the “texture” or the microphone head is created using the Noise functionality.
The Noise functionality works at the ‘working pixel level’ (my own phrase, not official terminology) which means that it will look different at different zooms and at export.
If you need to see how it will look at time of export then you need to use a zoom of 100%.

• Staff

I think GarryP has hit the nail on the head it very much seems like that cause of the discrepancy between app view and export.

Thank

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I just zoomed to 100% and you are right. Now that matches the export. So what would you suggest I should do to get the export similar to the preview I shared above? I want that grainy net-like checks-ish surface instead of the smoother one that I am getting.

You have used the Noise functionality in at least one Layer Effect, see attached image for an example.
You might have applied this by applying a Style to the layer.
One way to ‘fix’ this is to rasterise the layer which will ‘bake’ the noise into the layer at the document DPI.
(You might want to take a copy of the layer before rasterising so you can make changes later if necessary.)

image.png.90635c9ac471d2e89d5b1b153e75f082.png

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

You have used the Noise functionality in at least one Layer Effect

There is noise in many different parts of the document, including in both stops of the linear fill color applied to the bottommost curve layer as well as to both ends of its Outline fx gradient & to its Inner Shadow fx color. Same thing for the curve layer immediately above that curve layer.

FWIW, mic no noise.afdesign is a version with all the noise removed from the fill & fx. One possibility to get the net-like mesh effect for the ball of the mic would be to find or create a bitmap texture & apply that as a bitmap fill to the appropriate layers. For that you would need to move the horizontal ring layer out of the group or place it above the other two mic head layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7