You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export sometimes doesn't save images

I found that in certain cases when I export an image, the image doesn't get exported and can even delete the one that I want to overwrite. This happens when I confirm the export and then very quickly do CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S to invoke the Export window again. This happens only with the Export functionality. I can't replicate this with saving the AFPHOTO document (CTRL+SHIFT+S).

Please see the video I recorded:

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• Staff

Hi Alex_M,

This is normal behaviour, the file is immediately deleted and rewritten (represented by the progress bar). As you are interrupting the export process, you are seeing that the file is no longer recognised by the OS as a an image file due to it being only part completed.

Lee

I am not interrupting the export process. You can see it in the video. I invoke the export settings after the file has been exported. I'm just doing it quickly after it has been exported. Besides, is it not possible to not delete the previous file until after the new one has been properly exported? What happens if power goes out in the middle of exporting my file? My old image I was overwriting gets deleted? This doesn't sound well thought through and will result in loss of files in such situations. Any way this can be improved and change the behavior to deleting the old file only after a successful write operation?

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• Staff
55 minutes ago, Alex_M said:

What happens if power goes out in the middle of exporting my file? My old image I was overwriting gets deleted?

Absolutely, this is also normal on any software.

You interrupt the process the after writing it successfully the first time. Arguably we should prevent you from being able to do that, however it's not really a major issue as if you complete your export process again, you once again have a new file.

Lee

Yes, I think that preventing this from happening would be really nice! No matter how hard I try, I can't get this issue to happen with normal saving (CTRL+SHIFT+S). It only happens when exporting.