You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo and designer crash when I try to export

sSlvio

Hello there,
since today my affinity photo and designer programs crash every time i try to export an image. Possibly this is related to the recent Macbook update. Since I am in the middle of a project, quick help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

• Staff

Hi Sslvio,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you tell me if you have tried reinstalling the apps since this issue occurred? 

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @sSlvio,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you running macOS Ventura on Apple M1 (or M2) based systems? There's a known issue where exporting from these systems will crash the application when running the latest Ventura Beta 4 (22A5311f).

@MEB Hi Web - Yes, I have spent the last two days working with various support teams from Affinity and Apple on troubleshooting. Since I'm in the middle of a major project, I loaded an older version of my system which is now mostly working. M1 or M2 doesn't mean anything to me. 

I'm also having this issue on Ventura beta 5, it worked fine until I tried to export in svg and then it crashed and now anytime I go to export it crashes right away.

I'm on MacBook Pro (2020, M1) running latest Ventura beta. Now I can no longer export at all as the default is stuck on svg and it just keeps crashing as soon as I hit the export button from the file menu.

As long as you don't use svg it seems to work. I was able to reset by holding control when opening and then reset export options. It seems to only crash on svg. And then it sets svg as the default in export options and will crash every time you go to export. 

If anyone is having this issue just reset the export options again by holding control when opening Affinity and then checking the Reset Export (I forget what it says, just contains Export in the wording). 

And just avoid svg exports for now on the Ventura beta. JPG, PNG all work fine...

This is also happening in Publisher. Hopefully Apple is forwarding all the crash reports. As things are I'm using a Monterey system to do all exports. 

Also, the print dialog freezes about 1/2 the time in Publisher requiring a Force Quit.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 6:20 AM, pasz said:

When I click the "Export Slices" button to export al slices, Designer/Photo crashes. When I export each slice individually, no crash.

M1 MacBook Air running Ventura 13.0 and Affinity Designer and Photo  2.0.3.

I can't believe this is still going on over a year later. I have an old affinity file that now just will not export no matter how many times I try.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems it only happens when I try to export from documents that were created in version 1 of Affinity. I created a new document, copied artwork from the old document over to the new, basically recreating the document. Exporting from that is without crashing.

EDIT: Cheering too early again, after working some more on the document and trying to export, AD crashes again.

• Staff

Hi @pasz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. We are still a bit busy since V2 release and trying to catch up. .Do you mind sharing the document that crashing on export with us please? Here's an dropbox upload link you can use for sending the file. Thanks.

For what it's worth I have upgraded to V2 and have had no problems exporting since using V2. I know not everyone will want to do this, but all of my problems exporting went away in using V2. Not sure if that's the case with others, but I'm quite happy with V2, plus I love supporting Affinity. Keep up the good work dev team :) Appreciate you!

I'm on Windows PC if that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem... trying to export PNG slices and it crashes 😭. I canceled my Adobe subscription because of the crashes and Affinity crashes everyday... 😵

UPDATE:

I found a solution. Instead of clicking "export slices", I click on the 'export' icon for each slice and it works without crashing. Hope this helps until it's fixed.

image.png.209799cf71133dfaf33dd76a93362de9.png

Edited by Marenis
solution found

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on an M1 Mac and was having this issue. A previous poster recommended resetting the export options, and that's what worked for me. Here's a step-by-step:

1. Open an Affinity Designer file
2. Immediately hold down the Control key
3. Check Reset File Export Presets (I unchecked everything else since I didn't want to lose my settings)
4. Click the Clear button

Update: Looks like I spoke too soon. I had some success using the fix above, but now I'm trying to export with a different file and it's crashing every time.

Edited by bad_nerd

• 2 weeks later...