You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplicate layer?

8 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

I think it makes more sense here.

This is highly up to personal perspective and preferences.

The current position in the edit menu has its advantages:

• Menu is always reachable with 2 touch gestures (one on the „…“ edit menu, one on the „duplicate“ entry).

You suggestion has some disadvantages:

• The layer menu is often unavailable, e.g. in case you were in the blend options, or using any other right side tool.
  • The layer menu requires more touches to reach the submenu showing „rasterize“ functions
  • Duplicate is not actually a rasterize function.

I would suggest to add „duplicate“ to the layer context menu, which shows up after long-pressing on the canvas. It would be available always in the same place, and always with only one gesture. But the design decision to have the entries horizontally limits the pace for adding more entries.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I would suggest to add „duplicate“ to the layer context menu, which shows up after long-pressing on the canvas. It would be available always in the same place, and always with only one gesture. But the design decision to have the entries horizontally limits the pace for adding more entries.

Long press, layer hamburger menu and clipboard menu. Things are all over the place. I until recently you didn’t even know about the long press menu. 

On 8/5/2022 at 3:12 PM, evtonic3 said:

where merge visible is

I misread your comment and agreed with you. I actually disagree with you. "Duplicate layer" should be its own button. It should not be in any burger menu. Thats too many touches just to get to it and a slow workflow. It needs to be its own button next to the delete, group, and new layer button in the layer studio.

12 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

Long press, layer hamburger menu and clipboard menu. Things are all over the place.

I wouldnt say all over the place. Theres 3 workflows in the app. The canvas, the layers studio, and the edit menu at the top left of the iterface. A duplicate button should be in all 3 of these workflows but its only available in 1 workflow, the edit menu. There should be a duplicate button in the layer studio while you work inside the layers studio and there should be a duplicate button in the long press clipboard menu while youre building your design on the canvas.