You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UNSHARP MASK is not being applied!!!!

Hi,  I am running a MacBook Pro using the latest "Catalina Version 10.15.7" and when I am applying the "Unsharp Mask" to sharpen an image, the image goes sharp WHILE THE MASK IS BEING APPLIED, "however" once the mask is finished "BEING APPLIED" it "does not apply to the image, it stays being unsharpened!!!!!

Can anyone advise please????

Hi, @ChrisA380

Is the layer u will apply a image layer or a pixel layer? If it is a image layer you have to rasterize before, to take effect to the unsharp mask.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 hours ago, Komatös said:

If it is a image layer you have to rasterize before, to take effect to the unsharp mask.

In AP on my Mac, if in the Assistant options for Applying filters to vector layers, I have Rasterize layer and apply filter enabled, even though that just mentions vector layers, then the image layer is automatically rasterized when I apply the Unsharp Mask to it & click the Apply button.

If that option is not enabled, then I cannot even select that or any other filter from the Filters menu (aside from Colors > Multiply by Alpha or Colors > Divide by Alpha).

But if I can apply the filter, whether it is a pixel or rasterized vector or image layer, it always is applied when I click the Apply button. So I wonder if the OP is not clicking the Apply button & maybe just closing the filter window or something.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R

You are right, but If the layer ist a image layer, there is no automatism that rasterize the layer to an pixel layer. Or in the german version this function is missing. 🤔

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

@R C-R

You are right, but If the layer ist a image layer, there is no automatism that rasterize the layer to an pixel layer. Or in the german version this function is missing. 🤔

In the Mac versions, as I said, if in the Assistant options for Applying filters to vector layers, I have Rasterize layer and apply filter enabled (& of course if the Assistant itself is enabled) then then the image layer is automatically rasterized when I apply any filter to it.

Assistant.jpg.89cf6e76f03397528f396ca69df2f1aa.jpg

Does this not work in the Windows version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, Komatös said:

What do you mean by "German version" – this is a language setting only for the displayed text in the UI.
However, Affinity is aware about my German macOS language (which causes the known preflight dictionary-missing issue) – but the Assistant does the auto-rasterization:

92151423_assistantrasterized.jpg.d9817cfc83d83e401fd328a4da6a2513.jpg

... which can be nasty if you Undo the action which triggered the Assistant but forget to do a second Undo for the rasterization. Then you may loose image resolution and also nested non-destructive, editable items (e.g. adjustments, live filters) and might not notice it in time.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso  @R C-R

OK, my fault. I haven't tried before anwwering. So it works as expected, without the need to rasterize first.